SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop_gw

Vacation of lifetime-could you? would you?

hilltop_gw
12 years ago

Son & his wife proposed the idea of a trip to Antarctica. We're contemplating having the entire family (us, 3 adult children & spouses) take a 5-6 day trip to Argentina, then those who want could depart for the Antarctica cruise from there for another 10 days. All total it would mean 3 weeks gone. Cost is not a concern for any as we all live pretty frugally; no pets, or fancy home, boats or motorcycles, no 2nd homes or even daily fun activities.....just work and church. We all live scattered so see each other once or twice a year.

We run our own business and are VERY hands-on & I'm thinking no way could I be gone that long, but yet it's a trip of a lifetime. Hubby's already said he would not do the Antarctic cruise. But how could I make it work? I'd have to train someone to do my job... Right now I haven't figured out if it's a real dream that could actually happen or just a fun dream to think about.

We're starting to see friends, classmates and family develop major health problems or pass on and I'm getting more reflective on my bucket list.....

If you were given the opportunity to travel with family for that long to such a remote location, could you or would you?

Comments (23)

• User
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hilltop , my opinion is that you should do it. Are you asking if you personally should continue on with the Antarctic cruise even without your DH ? Does it bother you to go without him ? Will the rest of the family be upset that he comes for part of the trip and then leaves ? When is the trip ?

Perhaps you can simply get work done ahead and then have the rest on hold till you return. I don't know what kind of job you have that doesn't allow you to ever be away but with the lead time you have perhaps you can do some trouble shooting and find a way to do this.

I have taken two "trips of a lifetime" so far. The bike trip in 2010 and the one in 2011. I leave on June 2nd to do #3. I am already making plans for #4 next May 2013. DH has not gone on any of these trips since he has physical limitations, his eyes and skin, that don't allow him to be out all day for months. Also he just isn't interested. He will most likely be going on the one in 2013 as we will be in Europe and will be doing a good time of the year as far as weather and also much much less miles each day with lots of sightseeing.

You only live once. Since money isn't an object I think you should go. A wise saying that I have seen numerous places...you won't look back and wish you had spent MORE time at the office .:) c

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Go for it! You'll never get old and wished you had more money in the bank, or had worked more hours. But you will be so glad that you made memories. I think that special memories and events become a part of who you are and you carry them with you always. Life is for the living so I say go and live it up. I don't know what your business is but with notice, can you just close it for 3 weeks? Working like mad before and after the trip will be worth it.

• Related Discussions

Would you want to - or could you?

Q

Comments (31)
    Thanks for the link, Neil. I don't disagree with your earlier post entirely, suzy--while I don't entirely agree with every action taken by some environmental groups (which doesn't always stop me from giving them money) or, say, Critical Mass (a group that expresses its anti-car, pro-bike message by periodically taking over city streets and inconveniencing motorists), I respect elements of the "lunatic fringe" for bringing attention to what I consider worthy points of consideration. And there's still that word "better." As in "Living a better life." I know that's a phrase that has come up here, not necessarily with the compact people. I like qualifiers in speech. I can accept "living better in line with our own standards," or "living in such a way that we can sleep better at night," but without qualification, there's always the potential to hear, "living better than the wasteful, spendthrifty, morally bankrupt likes of you." But maybe that's just me having a hearing problem. I did read a blog compiled by one of the compact members, and I've read some of the compact group messages too (for the sake of argument, we'll disregard the most radical, like those promoting hysterectomies as a means of keeping tampons out of landfills). I understand the spirit of the thing. And, true to Marda's point, there doesn't seem to be much "I'm greener than you" stuff. (Though the blog entry about giving newlyweds donations in their name to adoption advocacy groups in part to create an opportunity to talk to the young couples about choosing already-existing babies, presumably over unnecessarily producing "new" ones, which strikes me as just plain pushy). But I agree that the compact is sort of a game. And from reading the blog, I'm not sure that I see the appeal in giving your relatives a CD of your vacation pictures (that's one CD, to be eagerly passed from one aunt or uncle to another) as Christmas gifts, even if they were from wonderful "extended travels." This seems a fine illustration of Neil's point about borrowing your neighbor's tools so that you can eat steak instead of chuck. Nevertheless, asset allocation is something we all do to some extent. Buying used cars so that you can afford nicer vacations seems like a natural to me. Not buying your loved ones presents so that you can have a nicer car (a model an earlier generation of my family followed) seems the opposite. I suppose in the perfect compact world, you neither buy the car nor the presents, but get around on your bike and make your children charmingly segmented marionettes from cast-off bottle caps and bits of cottage cheese containers. And you still go on vacation, but probably not a cruise. If you're handy, healthy and creative, it might be a nice life. But it just all still seems so doctrinaire.
    ...See More

Where would you vacation in Hawaii?

Q

Comments (16)
    Rates go down after mid-April. You'd still see some whales off Maui then. May is a little less expensive and less busy before the onslaught of mainland families when kids are on summer breaks. May is really a 'blooming' time all over the islands too. We've spent two to four weeks on all four major islands -- but in winter months. Big Island is my favorite, but when we bought it was South Maui -- more 'man made' conveniences on Maui for a property owner. I'd 'prescribe' flights in and out of HNL on widebody aircraft. Spend some time showing Mom historic sights around Oahu, then hop to Big Island for longer. You need a week, minimum, if you want to stay sunny Kohala Coast and also a night or two in the town of Volcano. Mauna Lani has nice condos; I'm not fond of (tacky) Kona Town. Lanai is kind of a pain to get to, and Four Seasons is the major deal there. You can get a ton of information from the forums on Trip Advisor.
    ...See More

If you could have a 2 week vacation anywhere in the world...

Q

Comments (23)
    I think I'd like to spend two weeks in San Francisco and Sonoma county. I have friends there that I haven't seen for a few years, plus I'd like to visit some of the antique and home decor shops. If teleportation ever becomes a reality, I'd love to visit Australia and New Zealand. I don't care to fly for that many hours, though.
    ...See More

What business would you start if you could?

Q

Comments (66)
    Maggy, I would love to help! I've actually coached many in my friends circle. First decide where you would like to run, is it in your neighborhood, in the park? Even a treadmill is fine but IMO a little harder for a beginner because you can't naturally vary your pace as easily. But wherever gets your running and motivated is the key! All you really need is a good pair of running sneakers and it you like to listen to music an armband for your phone (or other device). You have to start out slow and by that I mean your pace. Don't worry about your time, trust me, speed comes with repetition and time. I would start at a slow pace and see how far you can run before you become fatigued. If you need to take walking breaks - go for it! Many many people run even marathons with a run / walk method. Don't get discouraged and don't be tempted to sprint. The whole point is to build endurance in the beginning. I would start with maybe 3-4 times a week and build from there. Perhaps set a goal of running 3 miles non stop in two months? Trust me you can do it! And to prevent injury, increase mileage no more than 10% a week. Take rest days and listen to your body. Good luck and feel free to message me privately.
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    12 years ago

Your topic says it all: "Trip of a lifetime."

Do it.

We had an extended trip planned with our kids and their families, my brother and his kids, and my parents several years ago. We'd never gone away together and I was very excited. DB's son got into some minor trouble, and they had to go to court. We cancelled the trip. My mother soon after got Alzheimer's and there will be no trips ever.

Do it.

Dee

• hilltop_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was just wondering the thought process of others.....talking themselves into or out of something like this. Growing up neither my husband or my family took vacations...we didn't have the money. We pretty much didn't do anything like this. We see others taking cruises or going on pleasure trips, but my husband's motto is "I can buy anything as long as it's tax deductible" - ha! how do I make a trip to Antarctica tax deductible---isn't going to happen. Our trips pretty much always have involved business meetings. I just feel so guilty spending the money and not doing anything productive.
    My kids married into families who travel all the time--actually their spouses have multiple national citizenship's due to their circumstances.
    Closing the business isn't really an option. I keep the books for multiple entities so the time gone would be during prime tax form time....but if I get really organized, maybe.

Guess I'll have to think more seriously that it could happen.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i would absolutely go!!!

but, i also would never consider travel 'nonproductive' either! seeing, exploring and learning about the world is VERY productive, imo!!!

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

"Our trips pretty much always have involved business meetings." So have ours! We're frugal and live much the way you describe.

Sounds like your biggest reservation (no pun intended) is coverage for your tasks at work. I can understand your concern. Maybe if you felt that could be resolved in a satisfactory manner your ambivalence would disappear. Maybe that's what's really holding you back. You don't want your business to be compromised by incompetent staff while you're away.

How can you find someone to train whom you'd feel comfortable to leave your business with for three weeks? Who comes to mind right away? Maybe you could use a helper at work anyway and this will open the door to meeting someone to fill this role when needed, or on a more regular basis.

Whichever way you go, whatever choice you make, there are pros and cons. One decision is not better than the other. If you go for the whole enchilada, yes you're "out" more money. If you don't go, you may wonder about the adventure and lament the lost opportunity. Either way you "gain." Either way you "lose."

The real question is, what would you really LOVE to do? Travel isn't a big priority for everyone. Just because others regularly globe-trot doesn't mean that "home is where the heart is" types are misguided, boring sticks in the mud. Enjoying the pleasures of hearth and home, and taking delight in the ordinary is a gift, imo. But maybe you WANT to shake up your routine, break your pattern, and GO!

I don't subscribe too much to the memory making incentive. Maybe you'll lose your memory. When we grow old we can pretty much decide to remember whatever we choose, forget what we choose, or fabricate memories to comfort ourselves. When you imagine the options, what resonates for you and makes your heart sing, right here and now?

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I, for one, have reservations about it. If you all try to live frugally, don't see each other often and will be spending a lot of big money on this trip, I'd look at a different option. I personally know 4 people who actually did this, on 2 separate trips in two different years, and none of them were able to actually land on Antarctica because of unforeseen weather conditions . . . and the weather onboard for most of the cruise was not all that great either. IMO, that was a huge chunk of money to spend on such an iffy trip.

If you're all looking for a memorable, major trip together, why not consider one that's more of a sure thing, not to mention more comfortable, instead? Renting a private home or villa someplace with enough bedrooms for you all, where you can rest, relax, enjoy each other's company and sightsee whenever you feel like it ~ or not~ is another option.
    Just one more opinion and one more idea.
    Lynn

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Go. Do it. You will regret it forever if you don't.

• User
    12 years ago

Hilltop, go back and read YOUR comments in this thread. It's obvious this is something you want to do, need to do and would seriously regret later if you didn't.

Commit. Make the decision to go and then don't let negative thoughts talk you out of it. My husband has the terrible habit of doing that and I'm constantly having to prove to him that if there is a will, there is a way.

As Tim Gunn would say, "Make it work!" (and savor every moment! Sounds like the experience of a lifetime!)

• francypants
    12 years ago

If money isn't the problem but worry about that much time away from work is, you could commit to taking more frequent but shorter trips. Maybe just go to Argentina this time and another great location the next time the opportunity presents itself. Dip you toe in the water, so to speak.

There are lots of "trips of a lifetime" and you won't know which one is the one without a little practice. Worry and stress could hamper your enjoyment of this long excursion (not to mention the uncertainties that Lynn mentioned).

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Lynn has some good points. I think you'd have to decide for yourself if the risk is worth it.

Do you ever watch Globe Trekker? They had an episode about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Globe Trekker

• nicoletouk
    12 years ago

I have to disagree with lukkiirish when s/he said it is obvious this is something you really want to do. I am not getting that vibe at all. I get the sense that you think this is something you are *supposed* to want to do, and the "once-in-a-lifetime-ness" is attractive. But not once have you stated that this is something you have always dreamed of doing, or even said that it sounded like fun!

I DEFINITELY think you would enjoy a special trip with your family and encourage you to plan one. I just don't think this is it.

I also think you should take the trip during a time of the year when business isn't so busy. Even if you are able to find someone to cover the office for you, you would be so worried and pre-occupied with what was going on back at work that it would put a damper on things.

Lastly... three weeks is a very long time, especially for someone who doesn't do much leisure travel. I suggest starting with a shorter amount of time, maybe 7 to 10 days.

Whatever it is you decide to do, I encourage you to do it! I have never heard anyone regret the money they spent on traveling with the people they love.

Nicole

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Would I love this? Yes. Would other members of my family? No.

Expanding on what nigel-bigel wrote, you might want to separate the once-in-a-lifetime destination idea from the idea of a whole-family vacation. Let those who want to trek to Argentina and beyond go, but don't pressure those who are happy to stay closer to home.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Like Lynn posted, I have read that these trips can be really iffy weather-wise. At least with Alaska you generally get what you think you'll get.

That is a lot of time away from home. The longest I've ever done is two weeks and that was a lot.

THere are no pets, so you don't have to worry about that.

You mentioned about having someone trained to do your work. Overall, this is a good idea not just for vacations. What would happne if there was an emergency and you were not able to work. You have to have some sort of back up in place.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree with nigel. This trip was proposed by DS and DIL. Sounds more like their dream. I think you like the idea of spending time with them.
    You can get just as many memories with a trip closer to home and for only one week.
    I agree too with what nigel said about this is something that you think you should want to do. Not everyone likes to travel, and not everyone can go for three weeks.
    I am hearing that you might be feeling guilty for saying no. Your son knows thaat your rarely travel so why is he proposing this trip now? And, why aren't you included in the planning process?

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I would be beyond thrilled if my son wanted to include me on such a trip. How wonderful that he thinks having his parents along would make the trip even better! I don't know your age but it may be that the day will soon come that this kind of trip would not be possible for you.

I have a friend who took a cruise to Antarctica. She couldn't stop talking about it. Said it was like being in another world.

I hope you decide to go.

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

We haven't traveled much outside of the US/Mexico/Canada but we have had some awesome trips none the less. Looking back, I think the best was the trip to the Grand Canyon and the Tetons/Yellowstone when my son was 16. DH had promised himself he would go there cause when he was about 14, he had traveled to California with his Dad and Uncle. They basically stopped at the edge of the Grand Canyon at dusk one evening, looked over the edge and got in the car to go on. DH was so disappointed that he promised himself when he had children he would go back and see it all. Well, he did with our son. They rode the mules down to the bottom of the Canyon and stayed overnight and rode back up the next morning. They made memories that neither will forget. Then to go from there to the Tetons and walk to Inspiration Point together - now DS says he will do the same trip with his son. I don't think it matters so much where you go but what you do while you are there. BTW, I was with them just couldn't physically ride the mules down to the bottom. I enjoyed the bus tours that day!

Perhaps the others in your family have traveled more and this is just another destination to them while for you its time with them. Its great that they want you to go - you should do it - for youself and them. Then perhaps plan something more relaxing and closer like others have said that will give you more personal time with them. But take advantage of this opportunity - you never know if or when another one will be offered up to you.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Do it! We did a small ship cruise,(124 total passengers & crew), to the High Arctic in 2001. It was the trip of a lifetime. I was dreading it for a variety of reasons, one being the fact that my DH did not want to be away from the business for that long.

A family member planned the entire thing, and there were 10 adults and 1 child (my DD, who was 10 at the time). It was hands down, the most awesome trip I've ever done in my life. We were gone for a total of 21 days, having spent a week in Norway prior to our ship's deparature to the Arctic Circle along Europe. I came home 10 lbs lighter from all of the activities offered to those who were willing and/or able.

Haven't had time to read all of the responses, so if I am asking a repetitive question, please forgive me. Is this a small ship cruise? I've never taken a large ship, 24/7 buffet cruise, and personally would not care to do so. However, the smaller ship cruise was an entirely different experience. We made lifetime friends and learned so much about the nature/wildlife of that area. Our ship set a record, we got to within 500 miles of the North Pole. Being on a small ship afforded us the opportunity to get into smaller fjord areas where the large cruise ships cannot. Also, our ship was a Russian ice breaker vessel to ensure our safety and better ability to get further into the Arctic Circle area.

The business matters can be handled, we did it as well and could stay in touch, call, email, etc. until a few select days when we were out at sea and there was no internet signal.

Also, I've visited Argentina on a separate vacation. Stayed in Buenos Aires and a few other places in South America on an 11 day trip. That in it of itself was another very memorable trip.

I am assuming the Antarctic trip is sometime in late November or December, since that is the time (IIRC) when the cruise ships can actually get in there, and be able to see things without literally freezing to death.

Any event, whatever the schedule, I would really urge you to do it. You will be amazed at the things you will see. Access to unforgetable wildlife and a place in the world that so few ever witness.

On a totally separate note - climate change may destroy any future chance we may have to witness those parts of the world (North & South Poles) before they are impacted.

May I ask if this is an "expedition-type/adventure" cruise? If so, would love to explain more about those types of cruises, the details of which will make your head spin in delight if you are an active person who enjoys adventure.

Life is short and uncertain. You are so lucky, I wish I were going! Tell your DH that I'll take his ticket, lol.

• hilltop_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really appreciate all the responses. So much food for thought. It would be a good opportunity for me to train someone which is something we've talked about doing anyway. I'm not a fan of going to touristy places so this would be off the beaten path. As work_in_progress mentioned the whole idea got started because of my son's comment about global warming and changes in our lifetime. So, yes it's his dream, but in recent years I've realized I have no dreams of my own....my husband is following his passions through work, so he gets his tax deductible "toys" and I feel a little bit forgotten. I could go on about that, but won't. Actually my husband pretty much doesn't think I should even consider it. He wants to go to Argentina, spend a couple days with the "kids" and go our separate ways so he can see some business dealings and then come home. Bummer.

I did mention to my son about my concern of being there as mother/MIL and disrupting the trip; however they said not to give that a second thought.

Some of the cons....elderly parents & uncle at home. Francy pants made a good comment about worry & stress if I do go. That's a valid concern, not only about work worry, but stress over husband's response. Then after looking at anele's link (thank you!!) I'm bringing up visions of Titanic and icebergs. It is a small ship cruise--definitely not one of the huge ships, so rocky weather could make it interesting.

Daughter & her husband are in in Buenos Aires, Argentina and Carmel, Uraguay now on vacation and loving it. I don't think they could get away for the extended cruise.

Lot's going through my mind right now.

• User
    12 years ago

Nigel, I sensed her postings differently because we never do much of anything either, and my husband is happy with that. As a homebody who is also frugal, I can relate and would say some of the same things Hilltop is saying. Of course I can't speak for Hilltop but for me, work, life and responsibilities always seem to come first. I would want to go, but would feel guilty at the same time.

Regardless, my point is, if you do want to go, don't let life get in the way because there is always a way to work things out. Like you said, you could always train someone and you need to anyways. Hubby seems to want to do his own thing, and you are sort of in limbo. If it were me, I'd go spend time with the kids and enjoy the experience.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Lukki, as I mentioned in my post, and firmly believe, there's no ONE right path to take, and all decisions come with pros and cons. We can be so hard on ourselves and worry so about making the "right" choices, but everything we do brings us both a price tag AND a gift, in the final analysis.

Having said that, I just have to comment on how much I admire your perspective and attitude. Your determination and faith in working things out just radiates positive energy! There's a lot to say for your tenacity and chutzpah!

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

hilltop - So glad to hear it is a small ship cruise. No worries with regard to "Titanic-like" concerns. These lines have ice-breaker hulls that are specifically built to go to places like Antarctica as well as up to the High Arctic.

So many of your concerns mirror mine at the time of our trip to the High Arctic. I traveled with my DH's family (MIL & FIL), DH's sibs & their spouses, etc. It really worked out fine and they are a tough group, lol.

We were all really only together each evening cocktail hour, wrap up of the day by the various experts who travel with the ship to teach/talk to passengers about the trip, what you can see, etc., prior to dining (French service) each evening. The breakfast and lunch service took place in the dining room for a more formal meal, or a buffet in another large gathering room (cocktail hour/films/group discussion area) on the ship.

Yes, we were together at times on the zodiac trips, but many of the on shore trips were hikes and the like, and those are broken into groups by ability levels and/or what you were feeling like doing of what was offered off of the ship on any particular day. Since I traveled with my DD, I chose things that were comparable with her interest/ability, etc. There were things that others in our group wanted to do in an advanced group, so they did as they wished. These small ship "expedition-type" trips are fashioned to give every level of ability something to do through the entire voyage. There is also plenty of "alone" time built in should you wish to do that.

The ship had a library on board, as well as other places on the ship where you could curl up with reading material, or just sit on the deck and watch the beautiful scenery. EVERYONE, including a couple in their 90's had a wonderful time.

You will be spending time at sea for sure, and there will be areas where you will definitely encounter rough seas. We did as well. No one in our group had much trouble. I visited our PCP prior to the trip for scripts for the ear patch solution to sea-sickness for all 3 of us. We never applied them. DD had an issue one full day at sea, but she stayed in her bunk in our stateroom. Since we were at sea, she really didn't miss much, and the concierge (sp?) was very accomodating in coordinating with me in order that she would be able to eat anything she wished, at any time. Our ship offered 3 meals per day. When we would come back from a hike or whatnot, there would be hot chocolate and warm cookies awaiting our return.

The biggest misconception some people have is that if they're nauseous or feeling at all seasick, they think they shouldn't eat. It is the complete opposite. Eat when you start to feel a bit seasick, and it will help immensely. Our ship also provided Dramamine for anyone who needed it. DD used that a few days when she was not feeling great and it worked well. Between eating and using a small amount of Dramamine, she accompanied me on all on shore excursions. The rough day at sea, DD slept thru, but didn't miss anything as we were just moving from one place to the next.

There will be days on your trip when your ship won't stop to allow passengers to go out on the zodiacs because there isn't anyplace to go enroute, or if conditions aren't completely safe, the ship will not allow the zodiacs to be put into the water. However, when you can get out, your excursions will blow you away.

Your gear is essential. That would be one discussion I wish I had prior to the trip. Don't get me wrong, the travel company provided us with a load of material on what to bring and so on. However, when you are traveling in August to a place that is below 32 degrees most of the time, you need to pack wisely. Layering is key, and since that trip, I've never been cold again. Of course, I over-packed, and would suggest not doing so as it was unnecessary as our ship had laundry service, and anything that was wet (gear-wise) was hung in a drying room in order to be ready whenever the next opportunity to go off of the ship arose. These off ship excursions are planned on a daily itinerary which you're given each evening after dinner for the following day. However, when the weather is right in these areas, you have to get while the getting is good. The announcement would be made that the zodiacs could go and we would have approx. 15-30 minutes to gear up if we wanted to go. It was really fun and exciting to fly by the seat of my pants so to say as I am usually a very "by the plan" type person. It was a trip of a lifetime and given the opportunity to do it all again, I would not hesitate for even a second.

I don't have my email linked to GW. In the event you do, and would like to talk off forum about the small ship cruises to destinations such as the Arctic or Antarctica, please let me know and I will send you an email. Alternatively, you can email me at xworkinprogressx@gmail.com if that would work better for you.

I happen to sincerely agree with your DS, don't miss this one!

• User
    12 years ago

WoW, thanks Stinky, that is such a kind thing to say. I really appreciate it.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!