SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbelle_gw

experienced tung oil users, help

lbelle
17 years ago

We moved into our new construction home in June. We put in Eastern white pine floors (one room has walnut) and put a "transparent tung oil" on it that was recommended by the flooring people. I told them I wanted a matte finish, but somehow I was convinced that the "transparent " oil would dull down after mopping. I fell for it. Now, after daily wear and tear and a new puppy, the floor looks like it's 30 years old and in need of major overhaul. The idea that rubbing tung oil over scratches and buffing them in has not worked at all. I believe part of the issue is that the glare from the daylight reflects every flaw.

After talking to the flooring people, they now say a matte finish would help. Gee , thanks. Lesson: always listen to your gut, not the "professionals." Has anyone used the matte tung oil and can you see a lot of scratches with the glare of daylight coming through the windows? Would it be worth it to me to move ALL my furniture and redo all my rooms. PS My downstairs is an open floorplan, so we're talking a huge area at once.

Comments (6)