SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelle_gw

gas conversion

naturelle
19 years ago

I have an offer in place for a nice older house, conditional in getting insurance coverage (for my protection). I shaved about $12,000 in the price to cover upgrade costs.

For background, the house is hot water heated by oil fired boiler and radiators. I was considering converting to gas furnace and boiler anyways. Now, because my insurance company will not insure the house with a oil tank over 26 years old, I surely will have to.

Another potential roadblock is they are throwing up all kinds of signals about the state of the old wood fireplace, and I see all kinds of hassles in the way. So, I thought what if I converted the fireplace to gas at the same time. They should not have any problems, should they?

So, here I am, somewhat clueless about how to go about this.

First, are these fireplaces recommended for efficient and meaningful supplementary heat, and how is the visual effect?

Could I look at gas fireplace inserts that fit within the masonry wood burning fireplace, as they seem to look natural? What venting is feasible or recommended for this? Is it problematic to the insurer regarding the new flue pipe running up the existing flue/chimney? Does the old flue chimney have to be conditioned or blocked off? Is a new flue chase required?

Is freestanding the only choice I have, although I don't like it?

What set-up would you recommend?

I wonder if I could get an idea of the cost for this fireplace and related installations?

Thanks for the help.

Ted

Comments (2)