SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

fireplace doorset..when is hot too hot..

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

we have a masonry fireplace that now has a propane gas unvented logset. Many times we use the log set with the flu open for effect. Sometimes thoght we close the flu to keep all the heat in the house. We generally leave it like this for an hour or so because 1) it get to hot in the house and 2)it smells.

Anyway we just replaced a 20 year old bifold doorset with a newer 2 door set from Lowes. You may have seen them, solid black, reg - $229. We bought half price on clearance. I realize these are not $900 door sets but its nicer than what we had, less drafty than what we had, was cheap and best of all, made in the USA.

It came with some strips of fiberglass insulation that lay in channels along the top and sides to protect the inside from heat...or so says the manual.

Well, the sucker gets VERY hot, especially at the top. I called GHP and they said the doorset is fine with masonry fireplaces. I described our logset and they stuck to their story....though I am unsure the person I spoke with is anyone other than the lady answering phones.

Need I worry about the doorset melting or paint peeling or anyything. Should I add more insulation inside? Even if I did the hot air still comes out the top so the top outside is going to get hot no matter what.

What do you think?

Comments (3)