SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
db3512

removing brick from fireplace / replacing fireplace

db3512
17 years ago

hello, i am new here. also, i am new to fireplaces, which is why i am here. i have been living in my home now for almost 3 years, and have never used the wood burning fireplace til now. (dont know why, cause now that i do, i love it) my house was built in 1980 and it has an 20 inch fireplace with a permanant insert, surrounded by brick that matches the outside of the house. two things i am interested in.

1. how hard is it if i want to put in a bigger fireplace, say 36 to 42 inches?

2. i am currently (as i have $$$) remodeling my home, replacing all the dark chocolate brown stained wood work with white wood work, cabinets, colonial doors, etc. to bring it out of the 1980's. problem is, the brick around the fireplace is brown, and will clash if i paint the mantel and cabinets/shelves around it white to match the rest of the house. i am considering taking all the brick off, doing away with the cabinets and shelves (sake of floorspace) and tiling around the fireplace like in newer homes. is there sheetrock behind the brick or what is back there? this brick goes from floor to ceiling and has the brick ledge about 18 inches off the ground that was common in most homes in the 80's.

thanks in advance for any help, and great forum!!

Comments (5)