SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevder_gw

Replacement Chimney Liner

kevder
17 years ago

Hi all,

We live in MN and need some impartial advice about chimney liners.

We currently have a terra cotta liner inside our chimney. These tiles have become damaged assumingly from a chimney fire that we did not know that we had.

We have received a couple of estimates to reline the chimney. My dilemma is that two different companies claim that their product / methods are the best (not really all the surprising). One company uses the Ventinox stainless steel liner with Thermix insulation. They claim that it is superior to the existing clay liner, will improve our draft, and can withstand a chimney fire if we would ever have another one. A second company (recommended by our insurance company) wants to replace the original liner with the same material (terra cotta). They said that their approach was the best. They were quite rude when asked about the stainless steel systems. They told us that we would be stupid to even consider using stainless steel. They also said that terra cotta is better than anything out there. Their biggest knock against the Ventinox / Thermix system was that it could not be replaced without destroying the entire chimney. IÂm not sure if I buy this or not.

All of my internet searches have not really turned up any useful information. Everyone is claiming that their product (whatever the material is) is better than anything else. I would like to receive some impartial opinions or ideas where I could get additional information. We plan on using our fire place for many, many years to come and I really donÂt want to screw it up. We are leaning towards the Ventinox system. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kevder

Comments (3)