SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat

Chimney repair- transition rectangle to round clay flue liner? HELP!

babushka_cat
7 years ago

The upper part of my chimney from the roof line up needs to be replaced. Late 1940's home with a rectangular shape chimney. I will then have a gas line installed for gas log set or gas insert. Getting quotes on repair, have been told they no longer make rectangular clay flue liner in size needed. To solve one vendor said he would transition from the rectangular shape to round clay liner and then pack the voids with brick etc given the new liner in upper part will be smaller in diameter than lower part. Any problems with this proposal? Do they make a transition piece to go from square to round? I asked him about a stainless steel liner - he was not crazy about them as they corrode and if I do an insert there will stainless pipes installed for that. We did not discuss that If I do a gas log set there would be no additional stainless steel liners.

Another vendor is proposing a stainless steel liner.

Right now the preferred vendor is the first one - any issues with his proposal that I should further assess? Anything else about a chimney rebuild from roof line up that I should be asking about?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths