SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikesj

harman p61 problem- any ideas?

mikesj
18 years ago

This is my first year with a Harman P61A and so far, it's been great.

Last Sunday, I loaded up the hopper and set it to ignite- I had let it run out. I was working in the next room when I heard a loud pop and the dog started barking at the stove- when I looked in, smoke was pouring all over the place. I definitely saw it coming out of the connections on the vent pipe.

Yesterday, I cleaned the pipe, re-sealed it and started the stove up. When the firebox filled with smoke, I saw several leaks in the vent connections, so I re-sealed them all. Then, another loud pop when the pellets ignited. I also think that I saw smoke coming from the top of the door. After it got started, it seemed to run ok- the glass did soot up pretty quickly, though.

I called the dealer, who called Harman and called me back today. He said to lubricate the exhaust door (there isn't one, so I think that he might have meant the air intake), and let him know if it continues.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that there is some kind of air problem, like a bad door gasket. When I cleaned the vent pipe, there wasn't too much ash in it- just a thin layer. I'm also curious as to what would have caused all of the leaks in the vent pipe connections all of the sudden.

Thanks for your time!

Comments (2)