SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_redo

late 70s stone fireplace help

14 years ago

I think this fireplace is gruesomely ugly. The stone seems badly laid to me. It has a lot of pink in it which doesn't work with any of my possessions or favorite colors, and it's not just pink - if you look closely it's a blistery ugly reddish pink. Also, i think the POs of the house bought some sort of discount stone, because there are all these little weird half-circles cut out of each piece.

Anyway, we are probably buying this house this week, it's a late 70s largely unupdated contemporary. I have many ideas about what sort of updateing we can do to make the house appealing to us but the fireplace - yikes!

I did a search of the postings, and the only information I ran across was that someone mentioned if you tried to remove a stone facing yourself you risk damaging the firebox.

Anybody have any ideas for this fireplace?

What sort of stone is it?

Can I have the pieces sandblasted to remove the texture?

Lighter mortar, would that help?

What I'd really like to do or have done - to remove the stone and have it refaced. Could that be a DIY project?

I think the fireplace is too bulky for the long narrow room, so i really think that putting up a layer of cement board and then tiling or stoning over that would be even bulkier and so, not a good solution.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace help

Comments (5)