SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Direct Vent Fireplace: Great Looking/Low Heat Needs

16 years ago

It's chilly here today in central Florida and a great day to consider the fireplace plan. Have already decided on a direct vent but not much else. The great room is 34 x 18 with 10' ceilings. I want built in bookcases to flank the fireplace on a 13' wide wall, no raised hearth.

Could someone give advice on the proper proportions for the fireplace plus surround? I was hoping to have each bookcase at least 3' wide and this would leave approx. 7' for the firebox, mantel, etc. How wide and tall should the firebox be for a 13'wide by 10' high wall?

Also, about 30 days a year it gets chilly enough here to be miserable and damp without being cold enough to justify heating the entire house and I don't like forced air heating anyway. If we had a direct vent fireplace capable of heating the great room I doubt we would ever have the heat pump running at all in daytime and only at night very rarely.

Any suggestions for a good looking (realistic flame) direct vent product that doesn't need to be a blast furnace?

Comments (4)