SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanandmarkw

What Brand of Direct Vent Natural Gas Fireplace?

susanandmarkw
17 years ago

We are currently building a new home that will have a gas fireplace. We like the look of the fireplaces with the arched tops (e.g. Heat 'n' Glo Cerona or Heatilator CD4236) but we are more concerned with form over function and, frankly, I just don't know enough about fireplaces to make an informed choice. We have a 36" opening and want a direct vent unit (must vent through roof, as it's on interior wall, if that makes a difference)

In our current home, we have a Heat 'n' Glo that, after an initial botched install that took forever to fix (Heat 'n' Glo corporate totally came through after their dealer bailed), we've been very, very happy with. We use it constantly in the winter. In fact, it's our main source of heat, since we like the bedrooms cold and the unit keeps the great room nice and toasty. I know it wasn't anything like, top-of-the-line, as the builder of our current home selected it. In fact, I'd guess it's an entry-level, at best, unit. We want to make sure the next one is at least as good, and has the same electronic ignition (just flip a switch, no gas to turn on and off).

We don't want to spend more than we have to (Heat 'n' Glo seems much higher than Heatilator ... Is it better? Or are you just paying for the name?

Any advice from those who know more than I (that would be everyone) is greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)