SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steelskies_gw

HELP-fireplace insert not up to current codes

steelskies
11 years ago

Please HELP! We moved into our house about 30 years ago, and it had a Concept II fireplace insert. We used it sparingly the first 5 years, but have not used it for probably 20 years at least. I just started using it, and it works fine. I just had a professional company come to clean and inspect the unit and the chimney and he wouldnt touch it; said it was out of code. He said about 5 years ago, the new codes came out requiring SS liners on all inserts. (which we do not have a liner)

He said we need to buy a new unit, (Regency) with a SS chimney liner for a cost of about $4,000 installed. We shouldn't use our current inserts again. Plus it would cost us $450 to remove our insert and dispose of it. This makes me sick! Our perfectly functioning wood insert that heats well and has a wonderful blower has to be thrown away?

Can't we find a SS liner and have someone install it for us? the opening on the top of the liner is rectangular, and they say that the liners are all circular? The insert has several slats that open up and let the smoke out.

What can I do. PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments (19)