SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcinsf_gw

Contemporary-Looking Alternative to the Traditional Fireplace?

rcinsf
19 years ago

Hi Everyone,

IÂm trying to find a contemporary-looking alternative for a fireplace. IÂm currently remodeling my home, and I have a wood-burning fireplace with a gas starter. I plan to convert the fireplace to be 100% gas (tired of cleaning out ashes) but donÂt want the typical fake logs or fake coals. IÂve seen pictures of a "modern" alternative available in the U.K. which is basically a white concrete bowl filled with sand, into which a gas pipe has been buried. The flame burns just above the sand. The U.K. product is very expensive, and I have been thinking of having my contractor create the same thing, using a concrete bowl, a gas pipe, and some sand. Does anyone have any thoughts/concerns/suggestions about this? Of course IÂm mainly concerned about safety, but I figure none of the materials are combustible, and IÂm assuming that thereÂs no issue to having the sand and concrete next to a hot flame (i.e. no toxic or noxious fumes would be released?).

If anyone has some alternative suggestions for a "modern" looking fireplace, IÂm all ears!

Thanks!

Comments (15)