SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizzo13

Is there a way to make this better as leftovers?

Bizzo
14 years ago

Like many,we had a snow day yesterday. I worked from home, and at DH's request used the new crockpot to make Chili. We were both looking so forward to it. It smelled great simmering all day long, but it tasted, well, bland, and the meat was like sawdust. I made a BIG pot for the two of us... so I have a lot leftover. What can I do to make it more palatable?

I understand why it was a bit bland, since I left out the ancho and didn't readjust the spice for it or the fact that I used an extra 1/2 pound of beef. But the biggest problem, and the one I'm not sure how to fix for leftovers is that the meat tastes a bit like sawdust. Dry, and tasteless. When we ate it we added chopped onion, shredded cheddar and a lot more sour cream that we would normally have used.

Any ideas for the leftovers?

Here's the recipe I used. My changes are in (parens)

From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

1-2-3-4 Chili with Beef and Beans

1 1/2 lbs lean ground chuck or sirloin (I used about 2.25 #)

1 large yellow onion chopped (I used half a red, half a yellow and two more small yellow)

2 cloves of garlic (I used a heaping spoonful of the pre-diced refrigerator garlic)

one 15 oz can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained (I used kidney at DH's request)

Two 14.5 once can diced tomatoes with green chiles such as Rotel with their juice (I used a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice)

One 6-oz can tomato paste

One 7-oz can diced roasted green chilis

3/4 c Mexican Beer, not dark. (I used Coors)

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons pure ancho chile powder (I didn't have any, so left it out - DH likes things mild, so I left it)

1 teaspon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano, savory or marjoram (I used oregano)

Salt to taste (I left this out until at the table)

In large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic (I used pre-diced refrigerated garlic, cause I hadd it, and added 1/2 chopped red pepper and 1/2 chopped orange pepper at this point) until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up any clumps; drain off the fat. Transfer to the slow cooker and add all other ingredients except salt, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours (I set it on 9) stirring occasionally if possible (I did). The last hour, season with salt (I forgot this step). The longer you let hte chili simmer the better it gets, up to a point, of course (I left it in the crock another hour while I made corn bread that didn't turn out either)

Comments (13)