SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

The Wedding

Oakley
13 years ago

I can count on Jen watching. Anyone else?

What a lovely couple. Katherine is definitely Princess material, and she's now known as the Duchess of Cambridge.

I got up an hour before it began, and what shocked me is so did my DH was riveted to it!

Critiques: The dress was beautiful but I wish it had a fuller skirt and a longer train. A bit more regal I guess. It reminded me of the usual wedding dress we wear here.

The bouquet was so puny! I didn't understand that at all.

Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. There are no words.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved the sermons.

Comments (75)

• theroselvr
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wasn't going to record it but did. I was surprised she did not wear anything on her neck. The vision I had of her gown is pretty much what she wore but I thought it would have more bling but not too much. I hope her gown will bring sleeves back; I'm so sick of seeing strapless gowns. I thought her gown was pretty & timeless & much nicer then Diana's. I liked that she wore her hair down. I didn't catch why William & Harry did not wear swords.

It was said her moms dress was dove gray but it's actually a blue. I was surprised to see her sister wearing white. Disappointed with the bouquet; would have liked to have seen some Princess Di roses & double the size but feel that things were downplayed; it seemed to be the opposite of Diana's wedding.

Did they include Diana at all in the ceremony?

Looks like they had a beautiful day.

Kate's bouquet

Good page with lots of links - in the best dressed link; you can see how blue her moms dress is.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

OK, I lied when I said that's "all" I would say about Fergie's girls. I think the theory that they are expressing their resentment at the alleged snubbing of their mother may hold merit. They look freakish; as if they wanted to look freakish. Beatrice's makeup is especially garish. While she's by no means a classic beauty, she is not an unattractive young woman, as you can see in this photo:

• Related Discussions

Bulbs for wedding favors (wedding would be next year)... help pls

Q

Comments (8)
    Given as favors, I would give relatively large bulbs of something less expensive rather than small lily bulbs (which the JP bulbs are going to be) for this reason: Lilies are 'fresh' bulbs and never dormant. They need immediate planting after they're received from the shipper. When your guests plant their bulbs, they are going to expect something spectacular. Unless they're gardeners familiar with lily culture they may be disappointed by a small, inexpensive bulb that is slow to perform. In the fall, hyacinths might meet your needs. For non-gardeners, they can be forced in water and tossed after they bloom. People with flower beds can incorporate their hyacinth and it will return for a number of years. Pink or blue hyacinth bulbs are colorful as well. You'll need to warn people, however, that hyacinth bulbs handled with bare hands may have a tendency to make one itch. You also get a pretty bloom from the slightly smaller (less expensive) hyacinth bulbs-- they just don't have as long a stem, which tends to fall over anyway. In my experience, hyacinths are less likely to be eaten by squirrels than crocus, unless you use Tommies if you're giving spring crocus. You might research fall crocus; they are shipped in early September. Shipping dates may be a concern, too. Gladioli in May or June would work well. I've had good results from glads from the dollar store at 4/$1, so you could use inexpensive glad bulbs and expect good results. They're easy; plant and water. Glad bulbs are colorful too if you choose dark colors. I hope you find a bulb that will meet your needs and budget and give your guests something to look forward to bloom and remind of you for years. Nell
    ...See More

Wedding Centerpieces for The Tightwad Wedding

Q

Comments (59)
    Oh my, Allison I am sorry! I wondered how your DD2 became engaged and married so fast :-( I should have known you would at least have posted a dress issue or something on the conversations board with all that wedding talk! Very sorry for that misunderstanding. But initially the posts that crossed over to houzz were not dated, so I had no idea the thread was four years old. Now I see they are dated, although in the faintest possible ink color. (Houzz must have mostly 20 and 30 something users with better eyesight.) At any rate, the groom may not have been a keeper but the flowers were lovely!
    ...See More

Favorite wedding gift? Worst wedding gift?

Q

Comments (66)
    We got two gifts in total. A vacuum cleaner and a pressure cooker. Both most welcome and the pc is still in use. No ’shower’ and only 8 wedding guests. Just parents, siblings and their spouses. DD got married during covid with the permitted 6 guests but a year later we had a party with 100 guests. They requested no gifts, just donations to two charities. The Italian side of the family found this diffcult to grasp and gave a lot of knickknacks they neither want nor need.
    ...See More

Wedding pics from first wedding

Q

Comments (13)
    A small and cozy wedding, I prefer such places. I looked at your photos, and I think you enjoyed being at the wedding, didn't you? Many friends would argue with me, calling it boring. Yes, I also go to weddings where many guests and money have been spent, but it seems it is not as intimate and cozy as the wedding I saw in your photos. I would love to attend such an event! My life philosophy dictates I buy a new tuxedo whenever I go to a wedding, and I usually order tuxedos on https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/wedding-tuxedos/.
    ...See More
  • amj0517
    13 years ago

I really wanted to watch early this morning, but I turned the television on just as they were going to sign the papers behind the alter. I wanted to see Kate's arrival and hear the vows. I'm sure I'll be able to catch it on a recap....

I was expecting something more regal from the dress. It WAS beautiful, but I think I've seen Diana's dress so much that I was expecting something more grand.

• deegw
    13 years ago

moonshadow - I told my husband this morning that Beatrice/Eugenie looked like they were dressed as unsympathetic characters in a Tim Burton movie. Poor things.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Beatrice, the eldest, is in the beige coat with the octopus on her head, and Eugenie is in quite possibly the most unflattering dress ever known to grace a female body.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

But apparently this isn't the first time they've presented themselves this way in public. Even in a different, less charged context, say dinner out at the local pub, I feel this mode of attire still exudes an undercurrent of anger!

Here is a link that might be useful: there's a pattern here

• pugga
    13 years ago

Someone on another board said that Beatrice and Eugenie reminded her of Cinderella's ugly stepsisters.

I have to say that they looked rather, well, unfortunate. I recall their mother having terrible taste when she was younger. She's either matured or has a better stylist now. Perhaps there is hope for her daughters.

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Beatrice has the kind of face that could be considered beautiful or homely, I think. If she tried to make herself look pretty, rather than odd, she would probably look striking.

• riosamba
    13 years ago

Moon, a style is like a form of address. The Queen's style is "Her Majesty." William and Kate are "His Royal Highness" and "Her Royal Highness." The style is separate from the title; it was a big deal that Diana lost her HRH style at her divorce.

I loved the dress and thought it struck the perfect note for the times. It was classic and regal but very restrained. I am glad she wore her hair down, but away from her face.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

stinky's pic is at another wedding. The Princesses must have a penchant for attention grabbing attire at family formals. I can't imagine a stylist (if they use one) cooing "dahling, that pile of butterflies atop your noggin is très chic." (Beatrice looks good in Jen's pic, normal fresh-faced good.) There does appear to be a pattern at weddings that screams "upstage" or "look at me". Wonder what the bride will think when she starts reviewing video & photos and sees it?

• riosamba
    13 years ago

The newly minted Duchess of Cambridge changed her clothes for the evening reception. Here is a link for those who would like to see the second dress.

Here is a link that might be useful: More white satin

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

And ... Camilla went home and put on her bathrobe.
    ;-D

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad Fergie was mentioned because I told my dh before the wedding what they did to her was horrid.

Bumble, they excluded her from the wedding invitations. I certainly understand why they probably loathe her, but she IS the mother of the "possible" heirs to the throne.

It bothers me because I can only imagine how those girls must feel. Publicly embarrassed and humiliated, especially since it was all over the news, mags, and newspapers.

Personally, I don't think I would have gone because of that. "Take that Queenie and Willyboy!" And what a great scandal that would have been!

Fergie's done some awful things but she's not a bad person. But what they did was publicly humiliate CLOSE FAMILY, and young, impressionable girls at that. They'll never forget what they did to their mom.

The girls look like outsiders, the "poor relations" on the other side of the track, even though Andrew is their dad. lol.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

No, she has been on a special diet, the name I don't recall, to lose weight for the wedding.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I liked Kate's sister Pippa's dress:

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I just have to say, this is so fun talking about this!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Kate's dresses seem lumpy in the bodice in an unflattering way. That's my only criticism of her clothes. And, in her evening dress, she looks too thin for me. Otherwise, I think she always looks lovely. She has good taste.

Poor ole Camilla, that blue sack does nothing for her! Bathrobe indeed.

How was Fergie treated badly? I am not up on the royal doings and it seems to me, as I recall, she has been less than royal in her recent behavior.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

I think the 'lumpy' bodices are a result of trying to make something out of nothing! I don't mean that to be catty, just stating the facts, ma'am ;-)

Every time my DH sees her on TV he shouts "EAT SOMETHING, WILL YOU!!??"

Thankfully he prefers a woman with a bit more meat on her bones - ME!

She is gorgeous, regardless and looks stunning in just about anything she wears. I think in the beautiful bride category she did just fine.

Another gorgeous bride & gown, IMO, was Ivanka Trump, although that was a while ago. I just try and ignore the fact that her father is a dufus!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, in the evening gown I noticed that bodice issue right away. Seems she doesn't have properly fitting foundation garments! How could that be possible? Still, that is a beautiful dress and little jacket! She looks radiant in white. I think Kate would be gorgeous in a sack (or even in Camilla's robe) but she does indeed, have great style.

As far as looking thin goes, I heard on some program that she's lost a fair amount of weight in the last few weeks. When she was filmed shopping in Banana Republic last week in a little black dress I noticed she looked really thin...thinner than she did in the blue wrap dress. Maybe it is just nerves and a frantically busy schedule that explains the weight loss.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Dlm, I was typing when you were...so yes, it could be a padding malfuntion, but you'd think her dressers would have more finesse with such, wouldn't you?

Riosamba, I meant to thank you for the pics of the evening wear! It was interesting to see the slinky frocks.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Oh, Bumblebeez, geez! Isn't that amazing? She thought she looked pudgy enough to diet?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't get why Kate is...uh...drawing unflattering attention to her breasts! lol.

Of course at her age mine were the same way..until kids came. :)

Have you all noticed that the other Royals, Andrew, the other brother who's married to Sophie (whom is relatively unknown to all), Princess Anne, etc., are never mentioned anymore? They've fallen off the map since Diana came into their lives. I think I'd have my feelings hurt not feeling important. lol

It's like the press and The People don't care about them!

Have you all see the BEAUTY that is Caroline of Monaco's daughter? Wow.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

These comments about Fergie's girls are too funny! Evil stepsister wearing the toilet bowl on her head...lol

As for the bride I was disappointed too. We were forwarned that she liked things simple but I still expected her to step it up for this. She didn't want to wear a tiara so she wore one so small it barely registers as a tiara, closer to head band. Jewelry was minimal as was the bouquet. The dress is beautiful and elegant yet it struck me as very ordinary and that's not what I wanted to see at a royal wedding of this magnitude.

I too noticed that William wouldn't turn and look at her while she was walking down the isle, Harry did though. Anyone know why?

And why was Harry wearing all that gold rope, he was more festuned with paraphernelia than William.

I just learned that Kate is 5'10" (same as Di) and William is 6'3". Goodness gracious, their kids are going to be basketball players!

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I find it hard to feel sorry for Fergie. It just seems like scandal follows her regularly to the point it's hard to find empathy anymore. (Used to, when she was young and married, but then it seemed like a very different side of her was surfacing.) Whatever embarrassment today's snub might have brought her daughters, their mother brought worse to them over the years. (The rumored Texan affair, followed by the toe-sucking incident. Both while her husband was serving in the military. The girls were just preschoolers then.) Just in the past year she brought more public embarrassment to the brother of the groom's father. I can see why any family would not feel inclined to invite a problem ex in-law to a wedding.

Those pics of William & Kate driving around in the convertible made me smile. :)

• natal
    13 years ago

This has turned into a catty thread.

• kkay_md
    13 years ago

I heard that Fergie was excluded from the festivities because she had had a big falling out with Princess Diana shortly before her death. William did not want Fergie there because of that disagreement. No one seems to know the nature of it but apparently Diana would take him into her confidence, so presumably he knows.

Harry has had more combat experience than William, hence more braid/whatnot. It's a running joke between them, so they say. William, as heir to the throne, is kept out of harm's way.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I just have to say, this is so fun talking about this!

I agree! Countless people witnessed the event because it's interesting, and there will inevitably be criticism and opinion. I am not about to start "feeling bad" because I (and others) have stated that Beatrice and Eugenie looked horrid. Sheesh.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

Watch Fashion Police on E! if you want a good laugh. It's on right now.

Joan said Eugenia looked like she could make funnel cake with her hat!

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

Elton John looked great. And the Beckham's looked especially elegant!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I'm not a Facebook member, but a friend informed me that Beatrice's hat now has a page with a following in the tens of thousands, growing by about 75 fans per minute.
    ;-D

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I agree! Countless people witnessed the event because it's interesting, and there will inevitably be criticism and opinion. I am not about to start "feeling bad" because I (and others) have stated that Beatrice and Eugenie looked horrid. Sheesh.

And in fact, Jen and others have noted that the Princesses are attractive young women who happen to make bad fashion choices.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

I thought they were so beautiful and my thought on why William did not look at her coming down the isle, was that he would cry if he did. Just my thought. I'm sure he was thinking about his mom and stuff.

This link is the woman I couldn't get over. Her hat looked lethal.

I was too young to appreciate all the majesty when Diana and Charles were married, but looking back at the footage, my heart breaks for Diana because she looked terrified. Not at all happy and content like Kate looked.

Someone asked if they did aything special to remember Diana today and yes, the very first song they sang after the bride and groom were at the alter, was the same song sung at her funeral. The song sung at the end of the cermony was the one sung at Charles and Camilla's (ugh). That woman has no class, none at all. I surprised that marriage did do the queen in.

I couldn't help but cry when the ceremony started and I thought how Diana must be looking down smiling on her handsome son and his new bride and how proud she would be if she waere here.

I took her death very hard and I was not really a Diana follower. She just touched my heart and I think she was a very gentle soul who wasn't given a fair shake from the beginning with her marriage to Charles, who was not even in love with her when they married. That was so unfair to her I thought. I'm glad she had her 2 boys and left this earth having had the love of her boys.

One of the reporters speculated that Pippa maybe had the white on to show how close she and Kate are.

Speaking of "Kate" I also heard she now wants to be addressed as Katherine. I don't know if this is true, time will tell.

I am curious to see what she "does" with her time as William's wife. Last but not least, I just love Harry. He looks like he is very "naughty" as his mom would refer to him.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal hat

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

Joan refers to the blue hat as the Vag**a hat!

(I don't make 'em up, I just report.)

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Think I'm going to have to check out that E! show. Joan Rivers is a close personal friend of Charles and Camilla. I wonder how that happened!

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Well, one mystery is solved. I just learned why William didn't watch his bride coming down the aisle. Was watching middle of the night rerun of AC 360, they were doing a video montage of those unique moments every wedding has. They said William wanted to be the last one to see his bride. That's why we saw Harry looking down the aisle & speaking to William, he's telling his brother 'she's here now'. (How cool is that.) Then when William leaned over and spoke to Kate's father he was saying 'Just a small family affair.' There was also a clip I didn't see before. One of the clergy inside the Abbey forgot about the cameras installed and was doing cartwheels down the red carpet. ;D Check it out, it's got some nice moments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Wedding's Hidden Moments

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal, there's a book thread you might be interested in instead of this one. :) We're doing what every woman (and man) who watched the wedding yesterday is doing. Having fun critiquing, like sitting among friends.

Someone said on the news that it's common for bridesmaids in England to wear white.

All the news talking heads keep saying she was so "Princess Grace-like" about her dress. Which makes me wonder why she didn't want something more original instead of ordinary and been done before?

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Moonshadow, I saw those cute clips on the Barbara Walters special last night...2 hours of fun gossipy tidbits!

I got the impression that since there was so much build up over "the dress," that William just didn't want to see it until the very last minute...the ultimate surprise! The look on his face when he did finally see her was priceless! He was obviously pleased.

But as I said in a previous post, the girl could have dressed from the rag bin and she still would have looked breathtakingly beautiful! Of course, we're all glad she made an effort, and her choices were perfect, imo. The whole event was a feast for the eyes!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I didn't think the hats were that incredibly bad in the context of being in a group of hats. There were plenty of other dancing feathery hats that seemed kinda crazy too if you think about it. Beatrice's Signaling-to-the-Mother Ship hat was just the craziest among the guests.
    Eugenie's dress now that was awful.
    And Queen Buttercup, the same as always.
    And Prince Harry's girlfriend looked bad. I need to watch Fashion Police! I love that after the Oscars each year.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

oh, stinky, bummed I missed BW, I like her.

bumble, I'm going to agree with you. As I mentioned above, I woke up late. Right when Prince Andrew & daughters arrived, so my reaction was "whoaa". (Hat + black eyes caused that reaction.) So I missed all the prior guests (and their hats). I had no idea till I hit a People online page showing "best hats of the wedding". Hope that link works. When you look at them slide after slide, it is a different impression. (Tho some still scare me, and yes I'm teasing, lol). While watching AC 360 rerun middle of the night, AC was sitting with 3 British reporters. His reaction was much like ours. Probably because we're just not used to that kind of attire. The British reporters reaction was taking it in stride. (After AC's reaction, they said Ascot is the place for the really crazy hats. :o ) I would like to see women in the US wear hats more, but personally, I prefer the throwback hippie wide-brims I used to wear as a teen. (Last hat I wore was wide brimmed. Bought it out of necessity from the sun/heat while on our honeymoon in Fla.) If I had to wear one of those from People's picks, it would probably be something like Carol Middleton's or Joss Stone's. Simple, low, wide brim, perhaps a side ways tilt, but not worn on the side of the head.

If you look at the spice girl (geesh, I can never remember her name, Beckam's wife), her hat is similar to Beatrice. The 'cap' part. (Don't know what that's called.) Look at their hair, there are no bands, strings, nothing visible. How on earth did they keep those perched on the front of their heads??

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

I heard a news reporter say that William didn't look at Kate coming down the aisle because doing so is part of the royal wedding tradition/etiquette. Henry wasn't suppose to look either but he couldn't help himself.

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Victoria Beckham's hat was probably one of the very best of the lot, imo. I guess the "culture" dictates wearing a zany hat, and hers managed to look tailored but eye-catching at the same time. She was wearing a gorgeous face and eyes underneath it too, which didn't hurt! The fashion police on BW said that her husband shouldn't have been sporting that medal on his lapel, but other than that, the couple was smooth as glass.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

When Mom and I were in England last month, we saw some beautiful, classy hats for sale in charity shops (about 10 pounds each). Just because something is "pricey designer" does not mean it should be worn on a human body. Just sayin'. ;-)

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I don't care for any of the toppers that sit on the front of the head. I think some would be nice worn different; it's too distracting to the face.

It's amazing how much I forgot about the Royal family. You can go to wiki & read for days. The Queen wouldn't be Queen if her uncle didn't step down. With what I'm reading; I'm not sure Charles will even be King

People.com says this about Williams Uniform- The prince, 28, has been named Colonel of the Irish Guards in the British Army, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday, and experts are suggesting that he may wear the ceremonial uniform for the Colonels: a grand-looking scarlet-colored jacket and black trousers with piping to match the jacket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Official Royal wedding photos

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

I just read that those hats are called fascinators and many are designed by Philip Treacy in the UK. But they should be worn a little off to the side and at an angle, not right in front like that. They're held in place with a kind of headband, but I don't see that in Victoria's. Her hair looks fantastic!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Did anyone see "The King's Speech"? I'm not so sure it was 100% historically accurate, but I thought it was a terrific movie. (I adore Ramona Marquez, the little girl who played Princess Margaret, but is better known as the extremely precocious Karen in the British sit-com, "Outnumbered.")

Someone shared this short clip in a travel forum, stating that it pretty well summed up the exuberant spirit of the day. I have to agree!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jolly good fun!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Yes, I saw The King's Speech! I loved it too! We get a little glimpse through the film of how Queen Elizabeth was raised. I was really impressed with her mother, how she gracefully supported her husband. She seemed like a neat lady, and a strong person. Of course I just loved the speech therapist, who was a very wise and devoted friend. He certainly played a pivotal role in the king's life!

• sweeby
    13 years ago

Saw that movie last night, and LOVED it! Totally agree with Stinky about how gracious the wife (late Queen Mother) behaved throughout, and what a wonderful role the speech therapist played.

As to Kate's dress -- I LOVED it -- and think the linked story sums it up perfectly.

Why not "more original"?
    Quite simply, because if it's pretty and flattering to the female form, it's been done before.
    (Which IMO, explains why Princess Diana's dress was so 'original'.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Could the elegant royal wedding signal the end of porno chic?

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Titles announced for Prince William and Catherine Middleton

Someone on another message board explained the use of titles. If anyone is interested in reading it...

"Princess" Kate now Duchess Kate instead?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kate Middleton's future title

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

I saw snippets and thought Kate looked wonderful!
    DD called me this morning and said she "has to admit that there is a part of her that still wants to be a princess". I have to agree.....
    The hats were a riot. We were looking up hats on google with complete strangers at work today. Dh just shook his head.

Thought this was a fun home decor item for the occasion

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs for royal wedding coverage

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Great links, sweeby & roselvr (thank you, interesting read at the city-data link).

Mary Queen of Scots meets Grace Kelly. She was in every respect an archetypically pretty princess, an Audrey Hepburn for the 21st century! ...Might the lovely Kate, with her modest allure, her natural bosom and her quiet mystery, have the power to stem the flood of boob-jiggling hooker style which has engulfed not just fashion, but our entire culture? Could April 29, 2011 mark the beginning of a whole new era of elegant restraint?

Oh please, let it be so!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County