SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisk327

Change in Job, Should I go out on a limb?

chrisk327
16 years ago

My job.

Right now I'm an auditor in a large public accounting firm. I'm a manager, just made it with 5 years in. I make a good salary, public accounting has been doing very well the last 5 years and I've reaped the benefits.

I thought about leaving, and decided I'm going to actively pursue another job in the spring. I work very hard and spend a lot of time at work each week. In general on a slow week I'm in the office for 50 hrs. When I'm busy anywhere from 60-80 mostly January and Feb are like that. I'm tired, tired of no free time, tired of running many errands all weekend, b/c everything is closed during the week when I get home, tired of having dinner with my wife 2 days a week, tired of working for a couple of hours every weekend to play catch up. etc etc.

I feel I want one of two things:

A finance job that pays significantly more, working similar hours (I may be qualified for, maybe not, I have a finance degree in addition to my accounting degree and CPA)

Or an easier accounting job, or other job that pays decently but fewer hours for more quality time with my wife, eventually kids, and for myself, actually gets a hobby etc.

I have an opportunity to do something different. I took the Nassau county police department test in 2003, one of approx 15,000 people to take the test for about 3-400 positions over a series of 5 years, never thought I'd hear from it. I received a letter this weekend, calling me to start the process, background check etc. Now, most people throughout the country who don't know this PD would think I'm nuts, but it is the second highest paying department in the country. People around here consider the job equivalent to winning the lottery, its about as likely to happen. Pay starts low, but jumps significantly each year.

Starting is about 1/3 of my current salary. Lets assume it would be very painful for the first year or two, but possible to take the job.

In 5 years my base salary at the PD would be about equal to current salary. Plus there is OT shift differential that add up, which can put you in the low to mid 100s

Benefits, though are 36 hrs work week, working only 3 days. Overtime at time and a half, shift differential, pension at 50% salary and OT after 20 years. Full medical through retirement.

Am I nuts to consider this? I'm interested in police work, and I want to change my job, perhaps my profession.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
More Discussions