SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbors

Stove pipe question. Am I being had?

sbors
18 years ago

I purchased a harman oakwood in November from the only local dealer in my area to replace my existing stove (came with the house and did not know about it and wanted a non cat stove). When I was at the dealer I told him that there was about a 6 inch decorative box coming from the ceiling about 5 inchs from the pipe, and he said it would not be an issue. When the installer arrived on 12/28(same guy I spoke with at the dealer) he said it was an issue, but it would only be about 100-150 dollars to fix. He was going to put a double wall pipe or triple wall pipe the length of the six inch overhang to the triple wall pipe in the ceiling. I was fine with that because I want it to be safe and up to code. He left and said he would call within the hour to give me a final estimate. Well, never called and I spoke to him this AM after a few follow-up calls. My 150 dollars turned into 1,500 dollars. Apparently he says that the entire piping has to be replaced because no EPA certified stove can use the triple walled stove pipe that I have and the entire length needs to be replaced to the chimney. What I do not understand is he knew it was all triple wall pipe when he was at my house on the 28th. He never said anything about it then. He now says to me that the my triple wall pipe with air between each layer is a fire hazard and do not use stove untill it is replaced. Your help is much appreciated as I am a novice with this, but have been using the stove regularly for 3 yrs without a problem. I have had it cleaned twice by certified sweeps, and the only issue was that of the 6 inch overhang. None of them mentioned anything about the triple wall pipe.

Comments (9)