SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

The perfect green salad...

neetsiepie
11 years ago

I love green salads, I try to eat them as often as possible. This afternoon my husband brought back the rest of his giant luncheon salad for me to have for dinner. I opened the container and found the most unappetizing salad -it was still crispy-but was made with iceberg and bits of red cabbage, with toppings I really, really dislike. I tried to pick out the most offensive (tomatoes) but found he'd included a lot of things I really don't like in my green salads. To him, it was a delicious treat, however.

So that got me thinking, what constitutes the perfect green salad for other people? Please describe yours-with the dressing (if you please)-so that I might get some more ideas for my plate.

Comments (42)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I could eat Panera breads fuji apple chicken salad every single day for a long time before I tired of it.

Here's a good one: These are all approximate amounts to vary to taste.
    Autumn Chopped Salad

6 cups chopped lettuces, mostly romaine
    3 slices bacon cooked crumbled or grilled chicken or grilled shrimp
    1 apple, diced
    1/4 cup toasted nuts chopped -pecans preferred
    1/4 cup dried cherries-cut in half if big
    1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
    Thinly sliced red onion to taste
    1/4 cup Poppy Seed Salad Dressing

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I love california pizza kitchen's moroccan chicken salad- romaine, butternut squash, almonds, dried cranberries, dates, avocado, I know I'm forgetting something... it's served with champagne vinaigrette dressing.

• Related Discussions

ways to prolong growing season for salad greens

Q

Comments (3)
    It depends some on just what size balcony, how high up, how windy, how much sun does it get in the summer? Is is on the precipitation side of the building, or are you going to have to water it a lot? If you have the space for it, perhaps one of those mini-greenhouses? Footprint is 2x3 I think, and about 6 feet tall when assembled. Has 4 shelves, comes with a clear plastic cover, some come with shade cloth covers too. If you go this route, invest in a chunk of styrofoam insulation to sit as the base of the greenhouse to help with drafts from below. You can ask about scrap at the local big box store. Otherwise, at least lay down a mat of some sort to help block out under breezes. This isn't going to give you a lot of protection, but it will help some. If you want to go whole hog and enclose your balcony... If you can, get a whole sheet of Styrofoam insulation and do the whole floor and bottom foot or so of your balcony rail- however high up the bottom rail is on the vertical. Make sure you leave a niche cut out on the bottom vertical to leave you access off the porch if/when needed. Then put up a wind block of some sort from the top of the bottom rail to the bottom of the hand rail. I've used cheap quilters cotton in light colors when it's been on clearance to block the bottom that way. Colorful and useful as a wind block if needed. And can allow some extra privacy depending on how your balcony is situated. Then from the balcony roof- if you have one- hang clear plastic shower curtains that you can pull back as needed. This gives you more flexibility year round. What you use as fasteners to hold it closed depends on what your balcony is made of. If you can, use square pots. If you or someone you know has cats, you might be able to get free litter jugs or buckets, and those make great planters. If you get kitty jugs, spring lettuce and fall lettuce can be planted in with a summer tomato- and use a full sized cage, Or a small bean or cucumber pole. The kitty buckets are almost perfect square foot gardening for anything. If you need late spring into summer extension for tender greens from sun and wind, try using lightweight fabric curtain instead of plastic shower curtain.
    ...See More

ways to prolong growing season for salad greens

Q

Comments (8)
    thanks..and good tip on the airflow. I'm a stickler for aesthetics and currently use a really nice looking 'box' for storage....see link as an FYI...it was super easy to snap together..no tools needy...looks like it will stand up well to this, its first Winter on my balcony...and the top can double for a place to lay plants or as an extra balcony seat.... http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-SSW1200-Wicker-22-Gallon-Storage/dp/B0044V3UFS/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449090112&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=balcony+storage+suncast Anyway, I therefore already have a box that I use for balcony storage...however it occurred to me that ideally, maybe I can find a clear box such as yours, and of dimensions that are just a hair smaller than the footprint of my current balcony storage box. Then, during the warmer months when I no longer need my makeshift coldframe, I can simply insert it into the base of my pre-existing storage box so voila!...it's really not taking up any extra space! Yeah!! Necessity is the Mother of Invention as they say...one of my favorite expressions, as it is sooooo true!
    ...See More

Perfection Salad with lime jello

Q

Comments (7)
    Oh phyllis! sounds like something I might do. I've made plain jello in fancy vintage molds before and turned it out too early to get a nice watery mess on the plate. No jiggle, just slosh. But I've had good luck other times too. plllog -Your recipe is alot like one I printed off. But I'll probably go super simple with just the carrot/cabbage.More often than not the recipe I found online also included pineapple but I never saw that before, even celery and onion. Mom said she did add a bit of vinegar to hers. Ok, I'll add veggies after jello sets a bit. I figured that was the best way to go. As far as mayo (or sour cream), I think she used that as a dressing over a serving. I found a simple recipe for that.
    ...See More

FAVOURITE SALAD MIX BABY GREENS?

Q

Comments (2)
    There are no pictures so nobody knows what you are talking about. Also, don't use all caps as on the forums that indicates you are yelling at everyone.
    ...See More
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Green and/or red leaf lettuce, spinach, onions, cucumbers, broccoli, hard boiled egg, tomatoes (only homegrown so only in summer), sometimes cheese (cheddar usually), carrots, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Also like spinach salad with granny smith apples and walnuts.

• anitamo
    11 years ago

A restaurant nearby has a Mela salad that I love. Romaine lettuce, Walnuts, apples, feta cheese, and dried cranberries. Served with the best balsalmic vinaigrette dressing.

The chicken salad from Panera sounds good. I love the one from Pot Bellys.

This post was edited by anitamo on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 22:32

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I do like my salads to be specific, not just tossing in everything that I like, otherwise they all taste the same.
    I adore tomatoes but generally, like them best in a Caprese salad. Love cucumbers in a cucumber onion salad.
    Garden salads are delicious, of course, with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, carrots, croutons, etc.
    Love Greek salads....

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

Romaine,spinach,red onion,feta, dried cranberries and home-made dressiing. I really dislike the bottled dressing.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Lettuce, any type
    Onion
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Shredded Carrots
    Shredded Cheese

I love almost all salad dressing. I'm easy to please!

When I crave broccoli etc., I love to fix a veggie tray and dip them in the Ranch Dressing mix.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

For a green salad, I like it to be all fresh veggies...romaine + a variety of baby greens like spinach and arugula. I don't see it often, but my very favorite lettuce ever is butter crunch...dad used to grow it fresh and it was wonderful. Then on top I add sliced cukes, radishes, red pepper, shredded carrot, chopped celery, and a handful of roasted sunflower seeds. I add grape or chopped whole tomatoes only if fresh and in season....that between season red thing isn't tomato.... Top with peppercorn ranch or dijon vinaigrette.

I won't eat raw onion in a salad as it seems to get stuck in my teeth and I taste raw onion for the next day no matter how much I brush, floss and water pik....

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i order salads often and really like almost all types! just depends on my mood...

one thing i really cannot stand are anchovies in my caesar salad!

i also do not like ranch dressing.

i like all greens and veggies (as long as they're fresh) and really love avocado and spice, so often will choose a southwest type of salad... chicken, greens, black beans, corn, green/red peppers, red onion, avocado, etc=yum!
    also love sugar snap peas and snow peas, so if a salad has these in their ingredient list, i'll probably try it!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Some of my favorite salads are:

Ina Garten's Butternut Squash Salad

Moroccan Salad:
    Arugula, orange slices, Marcona Almonds, chopped dates, shaved Parmesan, tossed with lemon-EVOO-salt-pepper.

Crunchy Salad
    Chopped red, yellow, orange peppers, cukes, cherry tomatoes, feta tossed with balsamic vinegar & EVOO.

I often use this Italian Spice Grinder on salads (and in eggs and in oil for a bread dip).

The vinaigrette I keep in the fridge for a basic green salad is from Bon Appetite. It keeps for a few days. It needs to be re-whisked each time and is better at room temp.
    1/2 cup EVOO (I use less)
    3 Tb fresh lemon juice
    1 Tb minced shallot
    1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
    1/2 tsp sugar (I use less)
    Whisk together, season with salt & pepper

I bought a really wonderful Balsamic vinegar at a food festival. It's as thick as syrup. I'll whisk that with some quality EVOO, grind some Italian herbs on a salad, and it's great. It was pricey but it is so worth it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I often use Emeril's Balsamic dressing, it couldn't be easier and it's so good. I use a jar and keep that in the refrigerator.
    I also use the sugar.

Ingredients

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, optional*
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup olive oil
    Mesclun salad mix or favorite greens, for accompaniment
    Assortment of salad ingredients, such as cherry tomatoes, chopped carrots, sliced red onion, chopped celery, diced cucumbers, walnuts
    Blue cheese, for garnish

Directions

Beat the vinegar in a bowl with the optional sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until sugar and salt dissolves. Then beat in the oil by droplets, whisking constantly. (Or place all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.) Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Toss a few tablespoons of the dressing with the salad mix and desired salad ingredients, top with blue cheese and serve immediately.

If not using dressing right away, cover and refrigerate, whisking or shaking again before use.

*If using a good quality balsamic vinegar you should not need the sugar, but if using a lesser quality you might want the sugar to round out the dressing.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/simple-balsamic-vinaigrette-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I love salads and usually have one every day. I love a good green/veggie salad with lettuce or mixed greens, spinach, onion (prefer red), cukes and tomatoes as my bare minimum. I love to add parm cheese and dried cranberries. Sometimes some crumbled boiled egg. Sometimes other fresh veggies (carrots, broccoli, red pepper, etc.).

I also like a salad with basic greens and then add grilled chicken, onion, strawberries, candied pecans and a bit of cheese.

Last week I made yummy taco salad.

Someone mentioned a southwest salad and I love that! Basic green salad, add corn, black beans, tomatoes, red onion. You can add grilled chicken or not. YUM!

I love ranch dressing.

tina

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

This is one of my favorite dressings... From Dr F...

1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup roasted garlic rice vinegar
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup 100% grape fruit spread or raisins
    4 cloves garlic, pressed
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

It makes my husband nuts when people rate a recipe high and then say, but I changed it and did x,y,z. But I am going to do that anyway :)

I do use some jar roasted garlic and less rice vinegar and more balsamic since the rice vinegar is sweetened. I also only use 2 tablespoons of olive oil and put in two more tablespoons of water. my family loves this dressing.

I love adding dried pineapple to salads. A little bit of sweet. Also unsalted sesame sticks. They are really nice for crunch.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Mmmmm, green salads. Love them, but one thing I know is that my own salads never taste as good as when someone else makes them! But I do make them all the time. My favorites are "Mexican" type salads that have avocado, black beans, diced tomatoes and a salsa vinaigrette dressing, or a greek type salad with lots cukes, tomatoes, red onion, feta and olives with a oil/vinegar dressing. But really, I just love most salads! I don't care for creamy dressings (I used to but stay away from them now b/c they are so high in fat/calories). And when I eat a salad out, I try to look for those that are healthiest (little or no cheese, no bacon - though I love it!, etc). Occasionally I will splurge though and get one that has all those things in it!!

While I'm not a huge fan, I do like salads with a little bit of blue cheese but with a vinaigrette dressing, not a creamy blue cheese dressing (dh loves that but for some reason it just grosses me out - so thick and slimy looking!).

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

....Is Greek salad.
    At home we use romaine, green pepper, onion, kalamata olives, and feta cheese. Love, Love Garden Room's Lite Greek dressing.
    If this isn't really Greek- don't tell me! LOL.

As for other green salad- anything goes but carrots.Don't care for raw carrots.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

First of all, I have a big thing about lettuce. I think most of the lettuce sold and served is one step above pond scum (and smells like it).

My first choice is garden lettuces ... anything but iceberg, my second choice is local, especially baby lettuces. Nothing in a plastic bag or box.

I also haven't found any commercial dressings I like. I usually just mix oil, vinegar, a little mustard, some OJ, agave, salt and pepper.

Three favorite salads ---

1baby arugula with lemon and olive oil, fresh mango slices and toasted pine nuts.

2 Spinach with apple, red onion, toasted pecans and a maple dressing

3 Boston bibb with vinaigrette, red grapefruit and toasted pistaschios

4. Assorted apples tossed with yogurt, mayo, lemon, raisins, craisins and sunflower seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: maple dressing recipe

• Olychick
    11 years ago

My favorite green salad is made and served to me in a restaurant so I don't have to make it. Fresh greens, anything but iceberg, dressed until just barely glistening on every piece of lettuce with some kind of acidy salad (lemon vinaigrette is a fav). I never salt my salads when I make them (but for a bit in the dressing) but I notice how much saltier restaurant salads are most of the time. Sometimes I think that's what make them taste so good. Not salty, just not sans salt.

This is one that really flips my skirt from a local restaurant:
    Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese Salad with
    Organic Mixed Greens, Seasonal Fruit, Oregon Candied Hazelnuts, Crisp Phyllo & Jaggery Vinaigrette

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh boy some of those sound so delicious! I love mixed greens, including spinach, with tart apples, pecans, crumbled bleu cheese and a raspberry vinaigrette. I had a fabulous spinach salad that included Greg pear, hazelnuts, bleu cheese and a Smokey pear vinaigrette dressing. I was in terriks part of the world at little brick walled restaurant.

I can't stand raw tomatoes so when they're on a salad I have to literally pick out every piece that even resembles a tomato piece. Also do not care for bacon on my salads as it tends to overwhelm the taste buds. I'm thinking that tonight I'll make a chopped salad with dried.cranberries, spinach, broccoli, almonds and some feta with a commercial pomegranate vinaigrette I picked up the other day. Yimmmm...even tho I just ate lunch my mouth is watering for that salad.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I was roasting sweet potatoes for a black bean sweet potato salad when I was distracted by the post about bras. I caught the sweet potatoes right before they were almost too well done - whoops. If the salad is any good (its new to me) I'll link the recipe later.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Organic romaine lettuce, any other interesting organic lettuce, lots of watercress, lots of arugula, and pretty much any other vegetable in the fridge will go on it. I'm crazy about watercress and arugula. Other favorites to add are shredded cabbage of any kind, especially napa cabbage, and bok choy; another favorite is fennel, bulb and leaves. More favorites are scallions and radishes, especially daikon radish. I will also add shredded kale, a little organic spinach, organic celery.

I don't like anything sweet in salads, but I will sometimes add nuts or seeds. I make BIG salads a' la Fuhrman's advice. Other things I put in my salads include some avocado, roasted organic red & yellow peppers from a jar; artichoke hearts; cooked asparagus; chickpeas or beans; cooked mushrooms. The latter are so good: we just pop some in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds.

No cheese, no oil, no raw mushrooms, no dried fruit, and rarely fresh fruit because the latter usually seems too sweet in the salad for me. I absolutely LOVE the combo of red or purple onions with watermelon, so that could be considered a salad in its own right.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

ooh, ooh, i see we are being expansive with our definition of salad, so here are some more faves

Black bean mango salad with roasted corn and chipotle

Watermelon and tomato with feta, drizzled w aged balsamic and fresh ground pepper

Insalata caprese and insalata tricolore (tomato, fresh mozz,and avocado!)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

In the summer I love fresh corn cut right off the cob - no cooking required, avocadoes, bacon and garden tomatoes.

• runninginplace
    11 years ago

I call mine kitchen sink salads. As in everything but...

I do enjoy the pre-made mixed greens and spring mix but those seem to go slimy so quickly, so instead I'll often get spinach. It seems to last longer. I generally make my own vinaigrette dressing too. Since I started doing that, it is tough to use bottled dressing-the homemade is soooo good.

I usually add sliced cherry tomatoes, walnuts, maybe egg if I've got one boiled, black olives, a bit of *good* grated parmesan reggiano, and whatever various other stuff that is around. Grated carrots, black beans, whatever. I am slowly losing my taste for meat and even poultry, so although I used to toss some sliced grilled chicken or deli turkey on, I have quit that. Greens, some veggies and vinaigrette. Yum.

Love a good salad!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

One of my favorites is made by a diner near us. Spinach, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and candied walnuts. I order it with grilled chicken on top. I think the dressing it usually comes with is a maple vinaigrette. I haven't had it in a while but now I'm craving it.

I also love Greek salads, specifically one at a restaurant called Turtle Soup in Narragansett, RI. It's called Cosmo's Salad...if you ever happen to find yourself there. It's another one that I have cravings for.

A friend of mine makes a great salad that has a ton of veggies in it along with those crunchy Chinese noodles and a homemade dressing that is amazing but contains a lot of sugar, which I'm trying to eliminate.

Generally. IMO, the more colorful, the better. Lettuces, peppers, tomatoes (but only if they're Perfect -- I'm very picky about tomatoes!), carrots, a little cheese, maybe some sliced almonds, and any simple vinaigrette dressing. When I make a salad at home, that's what I like.

• polly929
    11 years ago

Here are a few of mine:

Arugula with avacado, pistachios, shredded carrots, and minced onion, and crumbled feta. Dressing is fresh lemon juice with EVOO and a clove of roasted garlic mashed into the mix and then wisked.

Baby romaines, raddichio, endive, roasted pignoli nuts, cherry tomatoes (from my garden, not the carp you see in stores in winter) Dressing is balsamic vinegar, H2O and EVOO emulsified in the blender with shaved parmeggiano reggiano on top.

Romaine lettuce with pear slices, chopped cashews, dried cranberries, cucumbers. Dressing is White fig balsamic vinegar and EVOO emulsified in the blender . I sometimes add gorgonzola crumbles to the top if I have them.

In summer, my fave is arugula with sliced strawberries and blueberries tossed with good balsamic and EVOO. Only when the berries are in season though.

Can you tell I LOVE salads?

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Polly - me too! This thread is making me long for our garden! I love to take tomatoes and cukes from our garden and add a bit of fresh basil and mozzerella along with a little italian dressing. YUM!!!

I would kill for a fresh tomato about now. And cucumber, cantaloupe . . . .

I do not like the bagged lettuce or mixes. Don't some of them have preservatives? And I seem to remember one brand being taken off the shelf for some type bacteria. Regardless, they always smell like the bag to me. My MIL gets them. I always go with fresh.

tina

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Yummy salad ideas....but a perfect place for my long held peeve: who the heck decided that lettuce ribs...iceburg or romaine, etc., .were fit to consume? My usual choices are green or red leafy lettuce and arugula ((LOVE arugula)....But! I always remove the ribs unless making a chopped salad. So much of some restaurant salad greens are those awful ribs. Is this just my singular obsession?

• polly929
    11 years ago

martinca, my kids only eat those crunchy ribs. LOL, I despise them too, so it's a perfect fit for me!

Tina, in the summer make this salad, cubes of avocado, cubes of cucumber, fresh mozzarella cubes and cubes of a garden tomato. Add fresh chopped basil and a homemade balsamic and EVOO blend. It is to die for. I went to a cooking demo at a local restaurant last summer and a dietician was lightening up the chef's meals and she made this salad. I ate it all last summer. Yum.

This thread had me with spring fever yesterday, I was planning on cleaning and prepping my raised garden beds today, but woke up to snow. Grrrrr.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I am so lacking in "salad culture". I love a good mix of salad greens, and actually like a small amount of crisp iceburg and romaine with the leafy stuff.

I cannot stand anything sweet (fruits and berries) in a green salad.

I must have a creamy dressing - ranch, blue cheese, etc defeating the healthiness of the greens. I WILL NOT eat diet dressing!

Occasionally I can eat a Greek style salad (usually in hot weather) with olive oil and vinegar.

I have been know to use bagged salad (in an emergency). The key is rinsing WELL in ice cold water - it removes the bagged/preservative taste.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I like the crunchiness of the ribs! I would be disappointed if they were left out.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I enjoy the ribs to a certain extent...not too much as it starts to remind me of celery-another food I despise.

Went to dinner at a chain restaurant with my Mom & her DH last night-decided the best thing on the menu appeared to be a chicken/apple salad. Well...it was lettuce (mostly head & romaine), candied walnuts, dried cranberries, bleu cheese crumbles topped with a grilled chicken breast. Not sure what the dressing was-some creamy vinagrette. I doubt it would weigh in as healthful-too much sugar & salt-but at a place that advertises as being 'Yummmmm' and is known for their oversized, salty, calorie busting hamburgers-it was the best choice.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i love crunch, so i never remove the ribs of romaine...

i also buy bagged salad for convenience sometimes (but don't buy bagged salad that have preservatives added! are there any brands that add them??) i know it isn't the green thing to do (no pun intended!), but i am very 'green' in many areas, so i don't feel too bad about the packaging.

the e-coli that sometimes has been reported in bagged salads are from the dirt the salad is grown in, so if it wasn't removed from washing and people just eat it from the bag, might still be present. can be on any produce purchased, bagged or not...

• msrose
    11 years ago

boopadaboo - I'm guessing Dr. F is Dr. Furhman? I've cut out most processed foods lately and just read one of Dr. Furhman's books. He was on Dr. Oz the other day and made a caesar salad and also talked about a creamy dressing he makes from nuts. Anyone tried those? I'm making a Mediterranean Quinoa Power Salad today (not Dr. F's recipe), so I'm hoping it turns out good.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i've never made a quinoa salad, tho i love quinoa!

i'm making a wheatberry salad today! yum!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Yes, I did mean Dr. Fuhrman. I have made a dressing with cashews, it was very good.

The book eat to live has a second book that is a recipe book. There are a lot of good recipes in that book. There is also a blog where someone makes all the recipes and gives tips and rates them. Like that movie. :)

• msrose
    11 years ago

busybee - And I've never had a wheatberry salad! Can you post the recipe?

boopadaboo - The book I just read was Super Immunity, so I'll check out the recipe book that goes with Eat to Live. Do you know the name of the blog? Sorry to be off topic, but he made a chocolate cake on Dr. Oz the other day that had lots of fruits and vegetables in it. It's hard to believe it would turn out good, but it was so bizarre, I may just have to try it and see.

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 18:55

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Sorry - I wasnt thinking. I should have said the second book from Eat for Health has the recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to blog.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

hi msrose! i just add what i like... today i cooked up wheatberries- came to probably about 2 1/2 cups, cooked... added a can of black beans, 1/2 red onion, a crushed garlic clove, a chpped cumcumber, a chopped tomato and mixed in a balsamic vinagarette... it's sitting now for flavors to meld!

how do you make your quinoa salad??

• funkyart
    11 years ago

What a great thread.. glad I got around to reading it.

My normal salad at home-- the one I always have ingredients for is a mix of lettuces/spinach, carrots, cucumbers, onions, dried cranberries and pistachios. I add parmesan if using a vinaigrette.. skip it if using a creamy dressing.

A favorite I've been craving is red leaf lettuce, butter (or any other delicate lettuces), blanched asparagus, red onion and orange segments in a citrus vinaigrette. I've added grilled shrimp and chicken to it.. but most often I like it as is.

I had a life changing salad at a restaurant once-- I keep meaning to try it at home but havent as yet. Mix of lettuces, grilled chicken, blanched green beans, carrots, cucumbers, onions, macadamia nuts with a spicy thai dressing.

Speaking of thai dressing-- the Thai Chicken salad at panera is my favorite "pick up a salad" treat. I don't remember what all is in it but I know there's carrots, cucumbers, roasted edamame, peanut sauce and a spicy dressing.

I make a southwestern-ish salad with chopped lettuce, black beans, garbanzo beans, brown rice, onions, cucumbers, cilantro and lime vinaigrette.

Love apples in my salads.. and also in my tuna salad.

I'll try any concoction but I never use egg, blue cheese, feta cheese or olives.

• msrose
    11 years ago

busybee - This was my first time trying the Quinoa salad, but I think it's a winner and will definitely make it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mediterranean Quinoa Power Salad

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

funky, do you have a citrus vinagrette you use? Mind posting it? That salad sounds good!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I love Trader Joe's spinach salad in the bag, it's organic and includes cranberries, feta cheese, pecans and raspberry vinagrette. I but the bags and add carrots, cherry tomatoes and some times a boiled egg. Sooo good for when you're too tired to cook.