SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teatime_2007

guests bringing own food

teatime_2007
16 years ago

Hi, I have had my mil over to visit me and my baby while we are in the area for a few months while my husband is away. She brought her own food to the visit. Now my fil is visiting, they're divorced and he said he is bringing his own food too...I know my mil told him to. I find this strange. I am a not a bad cook, I mean I would just be making light sandwichs or something. My mil brought cheese and crackers and a gross rotisserie chicken that was all withered. I think they are just trying to be nice and not cause me to have to work for them and prepare something, but I find it a little insulting because I was raised to enjoy entertaining guests and I guess some pride is attached to it. I told my fil that it wasn't necessary, but he insists on bringing all the food they will eat. I want to feed them and they were invited by me only they kind of picked when they would come visit. Maybe this is why they feel the need to bring their own food? They have zero eating restrictions so that is not it and I have no financial problems, so that is not it either.

Maybe I should be more formal with them and send invitations to the next get together? I've just never heard of bringing all the food to someone else's house, it's not a potluck, my child is almost 1.5, so I'm not exactly dealing with a newborn. If they are trying to make it easy on me they are not succeeding because my mind is boggled and by their behavior.

I think I may just ask straight out to my fil "Why do you feel like you have to bring your own food?" or is this rude. I'm interested in your opinions. Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES