Sea Bass

blueheron

On Dr. Oz's show yesterday, the subject was ovarian cancer. A doctor recommended three foods that actually prevent the cancer. They are - raw onions, Belgian endive and sea bass.

Well, have you ever priced sea bass? I checked with 2 supermarkets and the first one said they don't carry it because it's too expensive. The second one did carry it frozen and the price was - wait for it - $26/pound. Not going to buy it in the forseeable future unless it goes on sale which I very much doubt.

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nwroselady

The Patagonian toothfish (renamed Chilean sea bass for marketing in the U.S) has been overfished in many areas.

Wikipedia: According to Seafood Watch, the Chilean sea bass is currently on the list of fish American consumers who are sustainability-minded should avoid.

I suggest if it's that expensive it may have been purchased on the black market, and I would definitely avoid it. Besides, I'm a cheapskate!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Houzz Tour: Hugging the Rocky Cliffs in Big Sur
Cascading down a rugged site and generously encased in glass, this California home takes full advantage of its ocean views
Full Story
Gardening 101 Get on a Composting Kick (Hello, Free Fertilizer!)
Quit shelling out for pricey substitutes that aren’t even as good. Here’s how to give your soil the best while lightening your trash load
Full Story
Our experienced team, based out of Sterling, VA, has built a reputation for providing high-quality residential &... Read More