SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_dc

Has making the table 'pretty' gone out of fashion?

robin_DC
21 years ago

I hosted a small wedding shower this weekend, and because it was at 5:30, I served dinner at my dining room table. The bride is getting married in the caribbean, so I had a tropical theme in the invitations, favors, and the menu. I carried the theme to the table by using napkins with an orchid pattern in the corners, and placing deep pink bamboo placemats under the plates instead of chargers. The guests, who were female attorneys, ages 27-33, all made comments indicating they were impressed (and surprised) by the 'extra touches.' I was glad to get the compliments, but also a little bit surprised that they made such a big deal out of it (and several made comments indicating they would not bother with such arrangements if they had people over for dinner). I know I'm much more into those things than most people, but I also felt that using china, cloth napkins, and having a floral arrangement on the table are just 'what you're supposed to do' if you are serving dinner to people for a special occasion.

Anyway, I've been lurking/reading the posts on this forum for a while and thought you might be good people to ask---do you get similar reactions when you entertain? And is it really 'unexpected' to take the time to do these sorts of things?

Comments (28)

Sponsored