SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Well, this explains a lot...

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

I've been wondering (and occasionally whining here) about how since I've gone into menopause, really in the last 6-8mos, my body is just getting away from me, that it seems I am gaining weight just by breathing these days, even though I exercise 3 or 4 times a week (rather intensely--hard to do more because of fibromyalgia) and am not eating all that much. Complete change from just a year ago, when that much exercise and that kind of eating would make me lose weight/keep muscle nicely.

an article from today's paper helps me understand that I'm not going insane...not sure I like the prescription because I will *ache* a lot if I do that much, but at least I know what's at stake. If anyone else has had this problem, I hope this article will help you too.

Here is a link that might be useful: an hour *every single day*?

Comments (34)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One thing I have to say: I hate condescending men who don't have the same hormonal experiences we do. I'd like to tell that guy at the end of the article what he can do with that 200 cal. candy bar. As if I *ever* eat things like that. Sheesh. Yeah, it's our lack of discpline; we're just lazy chocolate eating slugs.

My husband said that a wise doctor told him that patients should look for doctors of their same sex, about 5-10 years older. This is a good example of why.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

My gyn is male and about the same age as I and he totally understands that it's more difficult for women than it is for men. On the other hand, I HAD a female gyn who told me that after my hysterectomy (at 58), I would be miserable with night sweats, I would gain weight, my life would be forever changed and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. Fortunately, I had two gyn's perform the surgery and I decided to just go to my male afterward. Thank God!

I go on the treadmill almost every day for at least an hour, unless I am weight training that day and then I do about 45 minutes. I change the intensity of my cardio and my weight training (which I do every other day).

My life has not changed since I had the hysterectomy even though I went into full menopause (I hadn't been menopausal until the surgery), I don't have night sweats that are worth mentioning (I do get hot flashes, but I've always been a warm person (literally), my cholesterol levels are really, really good and my BP is ok, unless I'm under stress (which lately is most of the time).

I also have maintained my weight.

So do I think daily, rather intense exercise is responsible for the above. Yep. And, even if it weren't, it sure makes me feel good when I'm finished. I don't feel like 62. I feel as good as I did when I was 30....seriously.

• Related Discussions

Well, well, well.

Q

Comments (4)
    I do admit that I miss this place a little. I've seen Sean McKinney and Mucky at AP but not in a while. Have you ladies chased all the other men away? lol I hope everyone is well. I've started repotting my water lilies that haven't been done in 2-3 years. I have a lot of pond related things that I'm catching up on.
    ...See More

Well this explains a lot . . .

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey ! No fair ! Thats where I got my start in bromeliad collecting,(1989). Lots of good memories,and meeting Dennis,Linda,Wally and Dorthy Berg,and touring Selby. Actually,I can understand his dilema,a lifetime of effort,some hardships along the way,and retirement calling. But a very colorful life,and still good days ahead. Whatever the future,I wish them the best. Thanks for the information Mike. Good job. Bob
    ...See More

evaluating lot - estimates for septic, well, foundation

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree- a septic test in 2007 may not be valid today. We are in SC, and got a septic permit in 2006. The permit specified the size of the tank and field. We got the system in just before the permit ran out (5 years), and the guy doing the work said that that system wouldn't pass under a new permit. As for a topo map, see if the county has a GIS site- most do. Here in Greenville County, we can get topo, flood zones, soil types, crime stats, etc. You can also zoom out to see what else is nearby. You'll probably need an 'expert' for the well info. Wells can range all over the place for cost and difficulty, and only someone with a lot of local experience can give you a guesstimate, and even that could be way off, depending upon what they have to drill through, and how deep they have to go. In truth, they won't really know until the dig the well. Unfortunately, wells, septic, and foundations are separate disciplines, and will require different contractors. You have a great opportunity to ask questions now, before buying. Do all of the due diligence you can. Don't trust the realtor to answer questions. They might not know, or may out-and-out lie. They are trying to sell real estate, period. Once you buy your lot, please, PLEASE ask questions before committing to a design. I can't tell you how many folks come here, or to other forums with last minute questions that should have been worked out months ago. Study up on energy-efficient building techniques, too. Might as well build the best house you can!
    ...See More

I just noticed something that explains a lot - re: resurrected threads

Q

Comments (0)
    So I know some people here get very annoyed at comments to very old threads that bring them up to the top of the forums. I just had an experience that might explain why this seems to happen more than some members would like. While I was reading a thread, I saw a post in the "related discussions" sidebar - right at the top - that looked interesting, and I clicked on it, then added a comment. As soon as it posted, I noticed the last comment before mine was from 2014, so I deleted my comment. Didn't somebody else describe a similar experience? Or am I imagining that? Is this something houzz wants? Or might it be a glitch in their algorithm?
    ...See More
  • mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, sounds like it is the daily exercise. I just can't do that much every day. I ache like heck from the fibro anyway (medication makes me able to function), and my life doesn't allow the time to recover that it would take me if I did an hour every day. It doesn't make me feel good when I've finished--I ache like I want to cut my legs off. And I'm a former pretty serious athlete, so it's not like I'm a slug to begin with.

Glad to know you've had good experience with male docs (and conversely not so good to know you've had that exp. with a female). It was probably an overgeneralization, but then again I've had really really bad experiences with male doctors several times in my life, and only one really good one, and one female doctor that is responsible for my being able to carry my daughter after all the men had written me off.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Fly, I should have added that I don't have any physical limitations (knock wood), so I'm very lucky in that respect. I also don't work and I don't have human kids and DH is only here a few days a month. So, I know it's easy for me and not that easy for others. I really didn't mean to be insensitive.

I am so glad you had someone that helped you have your miracle!!

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Marlene, you had a hysterectomy at 58 and were not in menopause until the surgery? My mouth is on the floor. I can't imagine still having it every month at 58. I will shoot myself. At 45 I am ready to be done with it.

Fly, the worst for me is the insomnia. For the last few weeks I can't fall asleep earlier then 2am although I do lay on the couch with a pillow & blanket & close my eyes.

Hubby had sleep issues during cancer treatment & knows that some times your body just doesn't cooperate. You would think that he'd be sympathetic to anything happening to me... wrong. .. he blames me for my not being able to sleep.. everything from me being on the couch with the TV on to eating something while watching TV.

I understand about exercise & pain. With my bad back & muscle spasms; I pay for everything I've done. No one will understand the amount of pain you have unless they've had pain themselves. I know what it's like to have so much pain that you want to cut your legs off; I feel the same way about my back.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Oh, Rose, I am so sorry about your pain. I can only relate to it a little because I had shingles 20 years ago and I can't imagine being in pain all of the time. Two months was excruciating enough.

I forgot about the non sleeping issue. I've never been a good sleeper. So that hasn't changed. You've been under so much stress these last months, how could you not have insomnia? I only wish I could be as strong as you, Rose. (btw, my mom had mouth cancer and went through many of the things your husband has. I know how horrible it has been for him and you and even though I never posted to you (for personal reasons), I was sending you my most positive thoughts.

As far as having a period until I was 58, it wasn't really bad. I kind of miss it. I'm an odd person, I know.

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

roselvr.... i will be 60 in a few weeks, and up until last july, i was still having periods. Sorry tmi. docs say after 12 months of not having period, you are 'officially' in menopause. well, that will be july for me. have horrible night sweats and hot flashes...

flyleft... i have fibro also. been dealing with that for over 20 years. i worked for six hours in the yard today, raking and weeding... i can hardly move now, and i bet getting our of bed will be an adventure tomorrow. and i, too am gaining weight just by looking at food. i have lost 25 of the 50 pounds i need to lose, and like you ,,,, i really do not eat that much. No advice to offer... just wanted you to know you are not alone. hang in there!

• Shannon01
    14 years ago

I am 43. I have three sisters, 50, 52 and 53. None have started any signs of menopause. Due to my chemo I will go into a chemical menopause. After treatment I will probably seek ovary removal because we are worried the chance of them coming back with estrogen production may cause a reocurrence.

Only thing I think is good is that the symptoms are fast versus nature making things happen slowly. The whole idea of weight gain really is a pain for me. Luckily I am small so a few pounds won't hurt. Hopefully I can manage the weight to be comfortable with it.

So I guess there are advantages to my cancer after all. No more periods and quicker symptoms.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I saw that story on the news this morning. I think that one of the issues is that they are lumping all kinds of exercise together. I know a lot of women who only walk for exercise - not that walking is bad - but in order to keep our muscle mass we really need to be weight training (and hula hooping of course!). The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be. You can't just walk or do cardio. You really need to develop muscle.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

terri, I have more muscle than I ever have--DH agrees (he's a cyclist and a distance runner, so he knows muscle, if you don't believe me). I've been doing pilates, I've been doing underwater running/AQX (not the usual aquaerobics)--you could punch my core and once you got past the new fat there, it would be a solid wall of muscle! Thanks to amping up the Leslie Sansone dvds, I've got Kara Goucher obliques under the belly fat, too.

I should tell you that even though I'm sick sick sick right now, I hooped 200 fast on each side today. Then coughed for about 10 minutes straight. But at least I did it.

jennava--ach--20 years--you poor thing! I got diagnosed in early 2002 (had CFS in the 90s, though; right after I got diagnosed I started a doctoral program--I'm really not a wuss). You're a fibro pioneer, to be sure. How are you losing weight? Hope you can move tomorrow...maybe a massage will help tonight if you have someone there to be so kind?

and roselvr, one thing that can kick people over the edge into fibro (happened in my case) is protracted lack of sleep and stress. Won't go into it, but injuries to both my Dh and DD close to each other kept me stressed for months and not sleeping--suddenly it got to the point I couldn't get upstairs without collapsing in pain at the landing in the middle...lack of sleep can have *very* real consequences--please, I know it feels silly to make sure you're o.k. when your DH is going through so much, but if you can, make sure (don't be too proud to take something if you need to) you get sleep. Our bodies NEED it. And as a friend of mine used to say, you can't feed an army if you're starving.

I'm really sorry to hear your DH isn't sympathetic. esp. after you've done *so* much for him--it brings tears to my eyes remembering what you've written here. That would be a total kick in the solar plexus to me. But we know that it's not your 'fault'. For Pete's sake. Anyway, please talk to *your* doctor about the situation with you. Your doc has got to be sympathetic--there's so much research on the effects on caregivers.

Shannon, I hope that part of the treatment you'll get will really validate and respect the surgical menopause symptoms you will have. It really makes a difference if folks help you with the entirety of your experience, not just the specific aspects related to their specialty.

I have to go...one thing folks' posts do tell me is that there are so many more facets to all this than just 'eat less and exercise and you'll be fine'.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

I heard about the new study yesterday. I really can't imagine that those of us who do attempt to get one hour of cardio a day as well as eat a healthy low fat diet, aren't losing weight. Sadly, I think this new data will deter many women from bothering to get off the couch and for those who are trying, now may figure, why bother?

Why is always the men who can maintain or lose weight? I'm coming back as a man or one of my pets!

• User
    14 years ago

I still maintain that it basically comes down to simple math: If calories going in are less than calories expended, you will lose weight. I think there are many issues that come into play, one of them being what people have come to define as "working out." A leisurely stroll around the neighborhood with a friend isn't working out. I even see women on the treadmills at the gym who walk at a pace where they obviously aren't breaking a sweat (I sometimes see two women, side-by-side on treadmills, carrying on a lengthy conversation and walking so slowly that they might as well just walk around the gym normally instead of being on a piece of cardio equipment) - that isn't working out. A bit of leisurely gardening isn't working out. Vacuuming the house isn't working out. Of course, I'm not denying that any activity that gets your body up and moving around is a good thing -- just saying I don't believe people will see any appreciable difference in their weight by doing these things. Too, I think that people who do regularly engage in leisurely walks and gardening and vacuuming think that somehow gives them a free pass to eat "just a little ice cream" ... I "worked out" today, so I deserve it.

I've found that's not how it works - unfortunately! Like I said, I think the math equation comes into play, and I think that must be combined with a body moving to the point of producing a tremendous amount of sweat and raising the heart rate for an extended period in order to see measurable results.

I think that one of the issues is that they are lumping all kinds of exercise together. I know a lot of women who only walk for exercise - not that walking is bad - but in order to keep our muscle mass we really need to be weight training (and hula hooping of course!). The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be. You can't just walk or do cardio. You really need to develop muscle.

I completely agree with this statement too. I do believe that weight training is vital for women, especially as we age. I have avoided it for the longest time, really because I feared how difficult it would be. And I was lazy. ;-) But now that I've gotten back into weight training regularly, I find that I really enjoy it. It actually feels really good to push myself as far as I can go. (Now it's the cardio that kinda bores me - but I force myself through it.) Building lean muscle mass makes your body an efficient fat-burning machine. Plus, it just looks good, and who wouldn't want that? :-)

I fear that the result of this study will cause people to simply give up. It isn't easy to carve an hour out of the day for most people to engage in strenuous exercise. On the days when I do weight training (I still do cardio daily, along with it), my life revolves around the gym for at least two hours on that particular day, and it just feels like a huge chunk of my time. I completely understand how many people would feel that these new "standards" are impossible to live up to, so they just might as well not try at all. And that's not a good outcome.

• User
    14 years ago

I just want to add that at 47 and going through the change, it's not exercise that changed my life - it's bioidentical (plant-based) hormones that did so. I feel like a new woman since I've been taking them. My hot flashes and night sweats have completely disappeared, I sleep like a baby, and I feel so much more energetic than before. It's tough going through this life change for so many women, and I know at one time I would have tried anything to relieve my misery - short of taking synthetic hormones.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

auntjen - do share more about the bioidential hormones. They sound like an answer to my so far unanswered prayers!

• User
    14 years ago

Oh, they are an answer to prayer for me! I mean that quite literally! My DH actually started researching bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and got me started reading some different stuff (but gawd, it can be boring!). I had tried a number of different remedies that other women swore by. The natural progesterone cream from the HFS did nothing for me. Estroven - nothing. I even went so far as to try dosing myself regularly with apple cider vineger, having read numerous anecdotal reports of how this had helped others -- the only thing that ever did was make me throw up a little bit in my mouth every time I took it. (Sorry - TMI? ;-)) Finally I lucked into talking to a woman at work who recommended her doctor (a D.O./holistic practitioner), so I made an appointment with her as fast as I could. She did lab tests, checking all my hormone levels and certain vitamin levels as well and got me started on a regimen of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. She also has me taking a vitamin D supplement since I was slightly deficient there and a pregnenolone supplement. The estrogen and testosterone are creams - estrogen applied twice daily, testosterone applied only once in the morning. The progesterone is a gel-cap that I take in the evening before bedtime. I kid you not - within two days, I felt noticeably better. I had posted here before about how miserable I was. The hot flashes were debilitating. The night sweats/chills had me sleep deprived and I was constantly exhausted. I was just about at my wit's end. That relief would come so easily - and so quickly - seemed downright miraculous!

The "trick" is in finding a doctor who specializes in bioidentical treatment. There aren't that many of them - yet -- but my doctor's goal is to spread the word. I'll link below to a list of doctors who do prescribe bioidenticals. The medication must be filled by a compounding pharmacy; fortunately, there's one very near my office (and they offer free overnight delivery, which is terrific). It takes a few days to get the meds refilled too. I'm used to calling Walgreens in the morning and picking up a prescription in the afternoon. Doesn't work that way with a compounding pharmacy, though.

Of course, everything I am using is plant-based and believed to be safe. I emphasize that last part, because I guess time will tell with certainty, as more and more women begin using bioidenticals. My doctor does not believe that bioidenticals increase a woman's risk for certain diseases, particularly breast cancer. She firmly believes that the manipulation of factory-farmed animal products with hormones, antibiotics, etc. are much more likely to be the culprit, and suggests that all of her patience who do eat meat consume only organic, hormone-free products.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of bioidentical-prescribing doctors

• johnmari
    14 years ago

flyleft honey, with all due respect, "I've been doing pilates, I've been doing underwater running/AQX (not the usual aquaerobics)--you could punch my core and once you got past the new fat there, it would be a solid wall of muscle! Thanks to amping up the Leslie Sansone dvds, I've got Kara Goucher obliques under the belly fat, too.

I should tell you that even though I'm sick sick sick right now, I hooped 200 fast on each side today. Then coughed for about 10 minutes straight. But at least I did it."

is pretty much beyond the pale for the average person with FMS. I don't know ANY other person with fibro who could do a QUARTER of that, so you should be preening yourself like Miss America instead of grumbling. I go to a 45 minute aquatic physio-for-arthritis/fibro class (at 39 I'm easily the youngest person in the pool by 25 years) twice a week and today I drove home sniveling from class because I hurt so geedee much. A neighbor helped me into the house because she saw me struggling to get out of the car and offered to stay with me until DH got home, but she did let the dog out for me and help get me up the stairs to the bedroom (I could kill my husband for talking me into a two-story house). I was humiliated. I'm putzing around with this to distract myself while I wait for the meds to kick in - I take one pain pill (that would have most of you folks zonked on the floor; it takes the edge off so I can get through class) on the way to class and one 2 hours later when I get home along with a big slug of two different muscle relaxants (which I can't take until I get home because they slow my reflexes too much). Once those kick in it's into bed with a gazillion pillows and heating pads. How jennava can spend 6 hours gardening is utterly beyond me - even if she's sore and stiff the next day, she manages it, while after half an hour I'm laid out flat on the ground. Happened last year. It boggles my mind how you gals can do that. (And it's not a question of "start slow and work up" - I've been playing with this monster for 15 years.)

And ya wanna know the fun part? On Wednesday I start FOUR sessions a week at the PT place - two water and two on land, the latter with a guy who specializes in foot and ankle injuries. The ankle I wrecked in a horseriding accident 25 years ago is rearing its ugly head - tendonitis in almost every tendon in my left foot, including the Achilles, and bursitis in the right foot from compensating for the left (and the plantar fasciitis decided to join in the fun). Likely to be trading in my cane for crutches for a bit as I can expect the left foot/ankle to be splinted (I'm going to demand forearm crutches, though - way easier on the shoulder joints), and I know there are going to be arguments about icing but cold is effing agony. Our insurance doesn't cover orthotics unless you're diabetic, so my podiatrist is going to try to find affordable OTC ones that my feet can get along with.

My podiatrist was funny though. He said all perky-like, "hey, now you have an excuse to go shoe shopping!" (since I have to revamp almost my entire shoe wardrobe) and man did he get the hairy eyeball. :-) I think I'm defective in that department of femininity... I HATE shoe shopping. Zappos and Shoebuy, here I come (with the Footsmart catalog in the other hand, but Footsmart's return policy stinks).

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

flyleft... losing weight very slowly by just watching portion size, and trying to stay away from junk food. A few years back, I lost 35 pounds doing low carb. Gained it back though. I know I will not be a low carb eater for the rest of my life, I like potatoes, pasta etc too much. So trying a new tactic. DH and I are going to a local mall three mornings a week, early before they open, and walking with some other old retirees. Two miles, slowly, for me. I would love to work up to three. Not sure if I an, but this helps.
    Also, did not get the massage last night, but I am lucky to have a jacuzzi now, and spent some time in there. A nice glass of wine helped. Movin' pretty slow today :)

Johnmari, I should never have done that yesterday. I am paying for it big time today. My DH had a conniption when he got home from a doctor appt and found me out there. He had decided he is going to put me on a timer, I can do two hours and then I have to quit. I am a little OCD, and a lot hard-headed, I think and there is just so much to do. Once I get out there, I feel like I have to push myself to do more, and then just a little more. I don't know, maybe I am trying to prove something to myself?? DH cannot really help a lot now, he just had some surgery and cannot have any sun exposure for a while. So I am IT. Fortunately we are retired. When I worked a very stressful job, I could not handle the yard work. I had to hire it all done. Cannot afford that now. SO, I spent today on the sofa, and probably will tomorrow also. I have learned over the years that when I overdo, I crash and burn. I should be ready for a couple more hours out there by the first of the week.

Auntjen... thanks for the bioidentical info, I have heard about it, nice to hear some good results. I think there is a naturopathic Doc near us that will test and prescribe. I am going to check into it. I cannot take reg hormone therapy due to a stroke in my past. These hot flashes and night sweats are murder.

• User
    14 years ago

Jennava, I cannot recommend bioidentical treatment highly enough. I hope that you can find something that works well for you. Nobody should have to suffer.

I just realized I typed "patience" for "patients." I hope everyone knows I do know the difference in the words - can't even blame that brain poot on a hormonal fog either. ;-D

• Jamie
    14 years ago

AuntJen, did your doctor test hormone levels by blood? There are places on line that send out saliva test kits to determine hormone levels, and I was wondering whether that constitutes a good test.

I like my doctor. Every time I see her I ask "are you doing bioidenticals yet" and she gives me the look.

• User
    14 years ago

Yes, my doc did do bloodwork. In fact, I get to go back to the lab bright and early in the morning to have my levels re-tested, just to see how we're progressing. She checked a number of other things besides the hormones such as cholesterol. I've seen a different holistic practitioner in the past that did check my hormone levels by the saliva testing method. The results from my "spit" showed that I was within "normal" range - but even then (this was about 3 years ago), I didn't quite feel that could possibly be right, as I was beginning to have quite a few hot flashes and sweats and just generally feeling out of sorts. The blood tests that my new doc did indicated that my estrogen and progesterone were practically nonexistent, and my testosterone was pretty low too (which accounts for low sex drive -- hope this isn't TMI, but hubby is really appreciating the meds now! LOL!). Anyway, I'm not so sure I fully trust the saliva tests. I have read that blood tests are preferable.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

johnmari, I knew you'd understand :) but I'm sorry to hear what you're going through right now. As my grandmother used to say, it's never nothin' but it's somethin'...when you can't even count on your feet, it really gets to be Just Too Much sometimes, I bet. I feel that way about my knees, but if I had your foot issues...well, let's just say that *you* should be preening yourself like Miss America for keeping your spirits in a good enough place to write as you do.

jennava, you sound like you have things figured out :)

Auntjen, is your doctor a MD? Or a ND? I have a trust issue with NDs always trying to sell me the stuff in their offices...but then again I hate the MDs always trying to prescribe mainstream meds...maybe I just hate the generic non-individualized sell. *sigh* I wish I could find a good, attentive doc out here at all!

• awm03
    14 years ago

jennava & fly, did you see the Voices of Fibromyalgia feature at the NYTimes Health site? Probably nothing you don't already know, but it's nice to see the NYT cast a spotlight on fibromyalgia & the people who suffer from it.

Am I the only woman opting to go through menopause au naturel (no HRT)? My symptoms have been negligible, except for atrocious weight gain when I wasn't putting effort into my diet. I'm working on that now and am having pretty good success using calorie counting software -- down 20 pounds since Halloween. I've long been an exerciser but still consumed much more than I burned. So I've upped the exercise (yep, an hour) and reduced the calories.

Since menopause my daily calorie total needs to be about 250 cals lower than the premenopause total for the weight to come off: roughly 1250 cals vs. 1500 cals. (Those numbers are after figuring in exercise.) How much I actually consume depends on how much is burned through exercise.

One comment on fly's article: perhaps the hour of exercise doesn't need to be continuous. Maybe 30 minutes in the morning & 30 minutes later on will do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Voices of Fibromyalgia

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

awm, thanks for that link! The last person to talk looks to me uncannily like Frida Kahlo, who, it is hypothesized from her writings and some of her art, had fibro as well. Odd coincidence...

Interesting about the 250 cals lower in menopause now--how did you come up with that number? Through your software or something else? It's very tangible and helpful to me, anyway--thanks for that too.

• User
    14 years ago

Flyleft, my doctor is a D.O. I know what you mean about some of these holistic practitioners "setting up shop" and trying to sell you a boatload of supplements. That's pretty much how the first one I saw a few years ago operated. My current doctor tells me what she recommends I supplement with, and says she has some things in her office that I'm welcome to try, or I can buy my own stuff elsewhere. She is zero "sales pressure" in that regard. I just really like her. She's extremely down-to-earth, and the only doctor I have ever seen that has spent 45 to 60 minutes with me during my appointments, explaining everything in detail and answering all of my questions. I bring pen and paper so I can take notes - she's that detailed. I feel very fortunate to have found a doctor I really like and trust.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Four years ago I used the calorie counting software (which I can't recommend highly enough) to lose 50 pounds. I was eating roughly 1500 cals a day net (after exercise). I got to a comfortable weight, looked & felt great, then in 2008 hit menopause and a house renovation at the same time. I stopped monitoring my calorie intake, and the weight came roaring back (but the house looks great now, LOL!). I also cut back on exercise. Researching, shopping for home improvement products, & coming up with a design was incredibly time consuming. Later, I felt awkward working out with the workers around, felt like I couldn't leave to go biking, then got too heavy so exercise was uncomfortable -- all that stuff. Now I'm back on the program, and the scale doesn't budge unless I'm netting 1250 calories or fewer a day. So that's how I know my metabolism has slowed by about 250 cals a day.

• awm03
    14 years ago

And, yes, she DOES look like Frida Kahlo, LOL!

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I know this is a little off track but since fibromyalgia was discussed I had to post this. My sister was treated for 15 years and I had a similar situation with horrible back pain. I had four surgeries, numerous steroid injections, facet joint ligations etc. and then one day, someone in this forum mentioned a book by Dr. John Sarno called Healing Back pain and it describes a condition called tension myositis syndrome. I followed to a T what he said yet not believing it. I had not been able to drive or sit in a car for two years and in one week I was doing things I hadn't done for years. My sister tried the same technique and she's off drugs and 80% pain free. Please, those of you with either of these problems, check out what I've said. I think it was Les who told me so she should take the credit. I have a good life now.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Auntjen, you *are* fortunate :). Last one like that was my doctor in NYC.

awm, thanks for the details. Would you mind sharing (plugging :)) the name of the actual software you used? And I'm glad someone else saw what I saw at the NYT site!

yayagal, I remember les recommending that book. How wonderful that it worked to help you so clearly and rapidly! IME, people you have come to 'know' online, esp. here, can often offer leads/info that you just don't come across in your daily life. Guess it's the wider 'net', but whatever it is, it's such a help.

• awm03
    14 years ago

The program I use is DietPower. I read about it in Tara Parker-Pope's health column back when she wrote for the Wall Street Journal. (She now writes the wonderful Well blog for the NYT.) Here's a link to the original article: Calorie Counting Software Review and here's a link to Diet Power Website. They have a 15 day free trial -- I think most of the stand-alone calorie counter programs have a free trial if you want to try others too. For online services, there's also SparkPeople, Livestrong's The Daily Plate, Calorie King, and other web-based counters. I like Diet Power though because it computes a calorie amount every day for you to aim for. It comes up with this number by how much you weigh, how much you eat & exercise, & how fast you're losing weight.

• awm03
    14 years ago

Also, I thought this discussion was interesting. Small changes vs. drastic changes, learning from trial and error, attitudes, etc. Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Big weight loss requires big changes?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Weight training along with cardio and watching caloric intake will help with weight loss-well, muscle weighs more, so it may just seem as if you've lost (clothes fit better)because you have less fat and more muscle. Also good for those of us who need to worry about osteoporosis since it will help build bone mass and who have metabolisms that have slowed.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

Yeah, I bought the Sarno books. They ended up at the used bookstore. I'm glad they've worked for some of you but I've heard it all before.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, awm--I'll go look those up. I'd love to find one that has more fruits and vegs on it because I don't eat almost any mainstream processed foods.

And johnmari, again we see eye to eye.

• postum
    14 years ago

I love my iJoy massage chair! I'm wondering if something similar would be helpful to you folks with FMS and other assorted nasties?

I have a couple of chronic problems (interstitial cystitits, arthritis) and my insurance used to pay for massage, which I found of enormous help in the overall pain management scheme. Well, no more, so Dh bought me a massage chair for my birthday last year and while not the same as human massage, it is a great help.

It is wonderful just for relaxation and getting your circulation going; I always feel refreshed and invigorated after using it. When I have been gardening, painting, etc. and feel my back twinge I go straight to the chair and it seems to put everything back in the right place. (I don't have the leg massager - I imagine the full sized massage chairs are even better.)

DH bought it off CL for less than the cost of 2 massages. Like I said, it's not the same as a real massage but on the other hand it is always there when I need it. I use it daily - sometimes more. Truly, a worthwhile purchase.

I try to walk few miles everyday and practice yoga (a little every day and one long class per week.) My weight is low, probably due to genetics and cystitis killing my appetite. I should do some weight training but I hate it (and much of yoga is weight bearing anyhow.)

BTW, I'm almost 52 and no sign of menopause (and I'm very ready to get over my moon times!)

I have also read the Sarno books and took them very much to heart. I *want* to believe, but the long term effect has been negligible. The idea that I have the power to easily control my pain is so tantalizing!

Here is a link that might be useful: iJoy massage chair

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!