SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Ucky....tallow-ey...

lindac
15 years ago

I had a non poultry soup mojo today....my daughter called about 9 and reinforced the urge....and I had a rack of beef spare ribs.

So I roasted them....and popped them into a pot covered with water and headed to the store to get the stuff I always put into vegetable beef soup.

BUT....they were having mushrooms reduced for quick sale....so I bought 2 pounds.....

By then I am rethinking the soup....thinking brown stock...lots of onion and garlic....bit of wine, all those mushrooms, some parsley, bay leaf....and a good handful of wild rice.,,,Sounds good eh?

I roasted the bones, simmered with onion garlic and herbs and seasonings for 6 hours, took the meat off the bone, sweated about 2 pounds of onions added 4 big cloves of garlic...added that to the pot...sauteed the mushrooms in about 2 T butter and added them....and the rice...salt and pepper...

and it tastes greasy....very tallow-ey...

It's in the refrig....maybe when I get as much fat as I can off of it it will be better....

But I really couldn't eat it.

Any thoughts? Or is it just too much dealing with big fatty chunks of beef bones..?

Comments (3)

• kris_zone6
    15 years ago

When using beef bones, I always refrigerate the broth overnight and then take off all the fat before going ahead with the soup. It is hard to get all the fat when the soup is already made.

• bostonpat_gw
    15 years ago

I bet that as soon as the fat solidifies and you can remove it, your soup will be much better! This is why it always takes me 2 days to make stock or soup. After roasting and boiling bones, especially lamb or beef, I refrigerate the stock/broth before I go any further. If I am impatient and the weather is cold enough, I'll put the pot outside on the porch, it will cool very quickly. My mother taught me that trick!

• lindac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're right....this noon after removing that 1/4 inch chunk of fat, it's gooood!
    I let it cook until easily 10....and didnt' want to put it outside, and at 0 degrees...it would have really cooled down fast...but there has been a Pogo Possom visiting lately and I didn't want to wrestle him for my soup!
    I think part of my problem was after handling the fatty meat and skimming and straining, I felt infused with tallow! and that soup nauseated me...
    I was so afraid that after skimming it still would taste tallow-ey.
    I should hav e refrigerated the broth and added the "stuff" today.
    Linda C