SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen10125

Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?

Karen10125
11 years ago

We've all experienced strange party situations, but yesterday was the strangest for me. I was invited to a baby shower for someone i hadn't seen in years and really wasn't that close to, but I accepted because she had been through a lot in life. So it was supposed to start at 2pm, I got there at 2:15. No one was there except who I think was the host, her husband/boyfriend, a couple kids and one other woman. A little girl greeted me at the door, I went into the house and none of the adults in the kitchen came out to say hello, offer a drink, a chair, nothing. I stood there for a while, then took a seat with my coat on and waited and waited. Finally a guy came out of the kitchen and introduced himself, then walked away. I walked into the kitchen at one point, they looked at me strangely, and then I walked back into the living room. I was starting to wonder if I was in the right house. Another guest finally showed up, i introduced myself and then we both sat there uncomfortably. When one of the hosts walked thru the room at one point, we asked where the guest of honor was and they shrugged their shoulders and said "I guess she's on her way". There was a lot of whispering going on in the other room also. Finally at 3pm, I just left. I didn't think it was necessary to excuse myself based on the rudeness of the hosts. I later learned the mother-to-be showed up 2 hours late. I don't know if anyone else ever came. And then I was asked why I didn't wait around and was told that I was rude by not saying good-bye! What would you have done? It was the most awkward situation I've ever experienced.

Comments (14)

Sponsored