SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bry84

The ideal energy saving house?

bry84
19 years ago

I'm currently looking in to building a fairly small one level house, about the size of a comfortable apartment. I'm forced by finances to keep it's design quite economical, so I'm keeping the size small and intending to use clever design to make it work rather than make it huge. I've been looking at the way mobile homes, boats and motor homes use various designs and built in storage to make every sq. foot useful and comfortable. I find a huge ammount of a convential house is simply wasted space that uses excessive materials to build and consumes energy for the entire life of the building. I'd rather avoid the expence and wastage.

I also want to use materials that are renewable and aren't considered hazardous to health. Low embodied energy is a nice feature, but I'm willing to use materials with high embodied energy if they offer serious long term advantages. I'm expecting the majority of the structure to be wood of some kind, but I'm looking in to a number of materials. The walls, floor and roof will be heavily insulated and sealed, and the design will use passive solar combined with landsaping to block out summer glare while letting in light during the winter. I hope to use solar air heating and water heating. Possibly biomass fuels like wood burning as well. The rest of the energy would be from electric (using a 100% renewable provider), thus ensuring it uses no fossil fuels without going to any extreme or expensive off-grid designs.

Well, I've heard loads of good ideas and comments here, so I'd love to hear some of the people here's ideas for an energy saving design. If you were to build a house like this, what would you want in it and why? Please remember however this is supposed to be reasonably economical, and anything really unconventional like geodesic domes are sadly unlikey to impress the planning department or potential buyers in the future. That's not to say I'm going with an everyday convential design, I actually want something very futuristic, but I do want a certain ammount of familiarity with everyday houses as well.

I look foward to sharing some ideas and eventually making the best design choices I can. Thanks for listening,

Bry

Comments (27)

Sponsored