SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amille621

water in the basement of my new home

amille621
12 years ago

Hi, I recently purchased a home about 6 weeks ago. In the seller's disclosures there was water damage in 2007 that was repaired and the statement said that there were no more problems. My home inspector did not find any more than "minimal moisture" in the finished portion of my basement on the driveway side which I was lead to believe was a normal finding in a basement on a rainy day (which it was).

Last week during a heavy rain, I experienced a large amount of water seeping onto the floor from the junction of the walls and floors on the driveway side of the home. This went on for at least 4 days. All of the paint on the floor is now bubbled and peeled away. The carpet on the finished side effacing the driveway also was soaked and is now ruined.

A plumbing contractor was in my home and pointed out clear signs that there was water damage (mold under a shelf, cracks in the foundation that had been painted and spackled, previous extensive waterproofing work on the exterior of the home on every side but the driveway side).

I am stuck right now. There's potentially $14,000 in waterproofing work that needs to be done. Plus, now I have to disclose water if I sell it. I'm trying to figure out if there was a breach in the contract or my home inspector should be held liable. I just want someone to help out with my repairs. I know that I can't afford to do it the right way which is what I want to do.

I've contacted both my realtor and the seller's realtor. The home inspector is trying to reassign the blame. I've contacted a few attorneys. Does anyone have any experience with this situation? What should be my next course of action? I feel cheated and deceived. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville