SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Portland, Oregon CFers?

dgkritch
13 years ago

I'll be in SW Portland (Tigard area) on the 25th, 26th, 27th of this month. I'll be helping my mom through a minor knee surgery, but would love to meet up with anyone interested!! The 25th won't be the best day as that's surgery day for her but maybe in the evening, or a quick meal on one of the other days??

Let me know if you're interested and we'll see what we can work out!

Deanna

Comments (51)

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Looks like teresa and reading lady are in the PDX area, as am I. My home is in the ''middle'', so I'd be happy to host a dinner. I have to check my calendar tomorrow at work but I can't think of anything going on then.

• jimster
    13 years ago

"I'd be happy to host a dinner."

Now that's a great opportunity, Deanna, et al!

Too bad I'm on the other coast. :-(

Jim

• Related Discussions

Portland, Oregon hotel with Mt. Hood view rooms?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey, I was going to tell you about the Skamania Lodge up near the Gorge. I'm not sure you can see Mnt Hood but I'm guessing, you'd have to call them up. However you have a great view of the Gorge and they are running a deal on Groupon right now https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-skamania-lodge-25 good luck!
    ...See More

Portland Oregon 3

Q

Comments (2)
    looks like a commercial planting ... a bit overplanted .... these things can fill some space in a smaller garden ... and most peeps wouldnt need this many .... unless it is accomplishing a very precise goal ... like hiding a parking lot???? but someone is going to have to come back in a few years.. and beat them back ... off that sidewalk ... and perhaps the cars behind ... ken
    ...See More

Portland Oregon

Q

Comments (9)
    Here in the PNW the snow in summer is a nuisance plant on bedrock outcroppings which it invades. The cross that 'Aztec Pearl' belongs to has been named x dewitteana. In later years independent retailers up here (WA) have been presenting at least several different cultivars with skinny leaflets. So if I were there in Portland working on the question I'd want to compare the example asked about on this thread with labeled material elsewhere before I settled on it being 'Aztec Pearl' specifically.
    ...See More

How much shade is ok for "The Pilgrim" in Portland, Oregon?

Q

Comments (15)
    It was her first year in my garden, so we will see what this year brings. I have tried getting cuttings for August Luise from a friend in Cali, but it hasn't worked out yet--perhaps this year it will. Regarding CD, I really love the huge, layered blooms, but I won't be heartbroken if it gets culled. I do have Golden Celebration (from Annie's Annuals in California actually) but it was just a wee thing when I planted it last spring so fingers crossed for this year. I have The Poet's Wife too, but it has not impressed me, and it reminds me of the Pilgrim in look. My Julia Child is in mostly shade, but if it does that well in sun, I might consider moving it. Where I currently have it, it is with Twilight Zone (based on your own garden pics) so I would have to move that one too. :) That combo is stunning.
    ...See More
  • John Liu
    13 years ago

Looks like I am wide open that week. So, dgkritch, teresa and readinglady (and any other PDX-area CF'ers), I am at your disposal.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you working during the day?
    I will be pretty open as well since I'm taking some time off to come up there and take care of mom.
    I'm not familiar with driving in Portland much, so daylight is better, but am flexible on that as well.

Maybe just a meeting at a restaurant somewhere?
    Let's see if others are interested.

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I am working during the day but can take off early afternoon. If a restaurant, there's some izakaya places I've been wanting to try. Also a good cuban place near me, great oxtail.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I wish I could hop the train and come down!!

I've got to much going on up here..

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish you could too, Terri!! I'd love to see you again.
    Can't play hooky, huh???

Of course, you are welcome in Eugene ANY time it slows down!! LOL. I'm only another 1 1/2-2 hours on the train.

Deanna

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

My brother lives in Oregon City. So it would be an extra worthy trip. But I just can't take the time away. :>(

I'll have to remember that Deanna..yep it would fun to meet up with you again too!

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really? There's a very nice train stop there! That's where I usually get off when I take it up there. Easier navigation than downtown Portland. My uncle lives in Oregon City too. I wonder if they know each other??
    My aunt and uncle are both artists and live just south of town.

Sounds like a possible meeting in the future!!

Now.........when IS your slow time?? :-)

And back to the original topic of this post, still wondering if Teresa and/or Carol are interested in meeting?

Deanna

• jessyf
    13 years ago

sniff.....I love Portland.....and the entire PacNW...I would live there in a heartbeat but we are just too anchored here. Next lifetime!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

You have to shed water. Is there any duck in your DNA? None in mine either. By March, I'm feeling pretty moldy.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

It's moss John..not mold! LOL

You can't fight..you just let it grow..

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I dunno guys.....Mid-west and East coast ice and snow, vs rain? You guys don't have people stranded at airports and striking snow plowers. And your summers are not too hot or humid. No tornadoes, either. And great farmlands/orchards! Can you tell I am tiring of Los Angeles weather, it's getting too hot here for too long.

• theresafic
    13 years ago

Hey I'm here. I would love to meet with people and it just so happens I'm free!
    I can do a restaurant or going to John's house would be lovely.
    I live in Clackamas not too far from Oregon City. However, I don't have a problem traveling around the metro area.
    It sounds like a lot of fun.
    Terri, it's too bad you can't make it. I would love to meet you...(and of course anyone else from the forum as I've not yet met anyone!)

• bri29
    13 years ago

Have a great time (and don't kill yourself taking care of your mom Deanna!). I don't think I'll be able to get up to Portland those days, but I know you'll have fun! I know your dh's pretty self sufficient, but let me know if I can do anything while you're gone.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bri,
    DH says he's gonna fry hamburger in butter. He's good!
    Blech!! Must be a (infrequent) bachelor thing!!

Theresa! Wahoo!!!

John: How early can you get off work?

Theresa isn't far from Penzey's (Clackamas town center) it appears (and I actually know where that is). Any chance of meeting there in the afternoon? I'm still flexible, just not sure of driving in the dark in unfamiliar area. Remember, I'm a country girl and Portland is THE BIG CITY to me!! :-)

Carol? How about you?

I'm trying to talk my daughter into coming (and mom if she's up to it, but not sure on that one).

Can we start to plan for the afternoon or evening of the 26th? If that works for everyone, it helps me plan the rest of the trip!!

Jessica...got any frequent flier miles?? Hee hee. Come on up!

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I can leave work right after 1 PM, on any of the days you listed, and I can go to Clackamas Town Center.

Is there anything interesting to eat there? I've never been, but looked at the website. The listed food options look pretty standard - California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotles, Claim Jumper, etc.

You're going to be in Tigard with your mother? A little ways up the road in Beaverton, there is a fair bit of interesting eating. There is what Yelp claims to be a good Japanese izakaya place, "Yuzu", and another one, "Hanabi". I haven't been to either, but the reviews are good enough that they should be at least decent. Izakaya is sort of the Japanese version of tapas - a wide variety of little dishes, plus sake and beer. There is also "Jin Wah", a decent Chinese/Vietnamese/dim sum place. They supposedly serve dim sum mid-week, but only until 2:30 PM.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, that would be awesome. Maybe Penzey's then a trip to Beaverton too? It all sounds good. My daughter is more familiar than I am with driving in the area and if she's able to join us (she has Wednesday off work!!!), it increases my "comfort level"!! :-)
    She lives in the Tigard area as well.

Hoping she'll check out this thread and maybe jump in!
    She may have been to one of those restaurants! If not, she's adventurous.... :-)

Theresa, how are you with Beaverton?

Deanna

• katefisher
    13 years ago

I love going to Portland and do so several times a year to visit family. I hope things go well for your Mom.

Something just for fun is Voodoo Doughnuts. They have excellent doughnuts that come in truly zany shapes and sizes. Located in downtown Portland. I must warn you though, this place is crazy popular. The first time I went I waited in line for 55 minutes outside on the street. It is really a question of timing though as last time we went on Christmas Eve there were only two people in line.

Fantastic doughnuts though. Have a safe trip.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Voodoo Doughnuts

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Voodoo donuts plus Stumptown coffee = HEAVEN

(the kid got the chocolate/cayenne one and nearly died lol)

• katefisher
    13 years ago

My preference at Voodoo has become the one with Captain Crunch cereal on it. Oh sweet sugary goodness. Also of distinction are the maple bar w/bacon and the voodoo doll donut. But let's face it, they're all good.

Kate

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh boy, you guys are gonna MAKE me go downtown, aren't ya? LOL
    I wish I had lots more time. I'm sure we could fill days of fun stuff to do, but I AM there to watch out for mom.
    :-)

I did get an email back from Carol (readinglady) and she won't be able to join us, unfortunately.

Looks like just the three of us plus any additions from family, friends, spouses, etc. I think my daughter will be able to come and mom depending on how she's feeling after the surgery. Her doctor says only a couple of recuperation days, but we'll see.

Are there any lurkers that might want to join us?
    The three of us have never met and we can certainly meet in a public place if that's better!

Deanna

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Warning! Don't go to John's house.

He has two new pressure cookers, and he doesn't know how to use them. They can explode. LOL!

John, when is Chinese New Year?

dcarch

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can handle the "pressure". I'm a long time canner!
    Hee hee.

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

February 3 is Chinese New Year. Year of the Rabbit!

• theresafic
    13 years ago

I am ok with Beaverton, it's probably a better place food-wise than Clackamas. Although I like living in the 'burbs it's a complete food wasteland. Not much here but chain restaurants.

If we are going to downtown Portland, there are a TON of choices.
    I have wanted to try the Japanese izakaya place, "Yuzu", and "Hanabi" sounds interesting but I am up for anything.
    Just name the time and place and I will be there.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds like a meeting!! Hooray!

I've sent an email to my daughter to see if she's eaten at any of the places John posted or knows of others in Beaverton. My SIL makes frequent trips to China for work and is a foodie!! They are pretty adventurous food wise and may know of somewhere good.

We've got a couple of weeks to decide.

How about if we plan to meet around 4:30 on the 26th at a place TBD? We can all find it in the daylight that way.
    We can swap cell numbers privately before then in case something comes up.

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

That works for me! How about if we all email you our cells and you email them all together to whoever is coming?

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds perfect!
    Email your cell numbers through the gardenweb email and also let me know how many you're bringing so I can make reservations wherever we decide to eat!

I'm excited! Hope the weather isn't awful, next week may get ugly, but hopefully it'll clear up before we meet.

Deanna

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK! Let's try Yuzu. The reviews on Yelp look good!
    4:30 on the 26th.

I still need to know how many for sure for reservations. It looks like we'll definitely need them, even during the week.

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Just make six and we'll improvise if that's not exactly right.

• theresafic
    13 years ago

Hey, I'll try to bring my husband but he works until 5:00. So probably should just count on 1 for me.
    I'll be there at Yuzu at 4:30.
    Deanna, I tried several times tonight to send you an email and to send an answer through the cooking forum and for some reason they wouldn't go through. I think the last one I send with my phone # did go through.

I left early Tuesday morning for a business trip to Bend and got back tonight. It was a horrible trip and I am glad to be back. I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

That was fun. I'm sorry I didn't know the gift custom - I'll do better next time. Deanna took some pictures so she can post them if she wishes. I'll just give my restaurant review - that was a pretty decent izakaya place. It didn't have any braised or simmered dishes which is a shame, but the grilled black cod, deep fried chicken, beef tongue, and other stuff was tasty to me. The roast duck was a bit forgettable, as was the rice ball. The sake was a bit light but that was my fault.

As I say, next time I'll do better by our local CF'ers. Actually I think it might be fun to duplicate the izakaya experience at my home, maybe we can do that some time - I'm quite sure we can make those dishes, they were not complex at all.

What really impressed me was that they were turning out all those dishes, for about 24 diners at once, from a six burner wolf and a small side grill.

• theresafic
    13 years ago

My Husband and I had an awesome time last night with some really nice folks! We really enjoyed the food, the ramen was very good as was the gyoza, the scallops were ok. It was a fun time meeting people from the CF. Deanna took pictures of the food and asked the waitress to take one of all of us. Deanna, it was great to meet your Mom and daughter. Thanks so much for the gift bag Deanna, so very generous of you, all useful and wonderful stuff!
    here's a pic of the gifts. Included a homemade bag (made from a chicken feed sack) Annie's Salsa, Green tomato jalapeno relish, hull-less popcorn, bamboo salad tongs, variable measurer, cool ceramic teaspoon set, tiny whisk, pickle fork, and potholders. WOW! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! John really enjoyed meeting you, the Izakaya experience at your house might be fun, maybe more Portland CFers can join us

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Now that's cool and a first--two get togethers the same day!! One one the West Coast one on the East Coast. Too bad we didn't hook up via cell phone.

Lovely gifts.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Deanna, I love that bag! Yeah, I have a sewing machine, I appropriated Mother's old Singer when I had to alter Amanda's wedding dress.

OK, so now I'm waiting for pictures on two meetings!

OK, so I couldn't make it, but my salsa did!

Annie

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

I'm watching this thread with interest because DH and I will be heading up to Portland this summer to visit our kids. We don't have exact dates, yet, but it'll most likely be sometime in June or the first part of July. When does the sun come out up there?

It sounds like y'all had a great time. What a beautiful bag! I can't wait to see more pictures.

Sally

• User
    13 years ago

How much fun! Don't worry about the gift thing John the most important thing is making real connections with our"imaginary friends" .

I'm so glad you folk had a chance to meet up!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

(pssst John you could always send a surcie)

Nice group, looking forward to pictures! I'm craving izakaya, we have a few good places in our area.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth after John and Theresa were kind enough to come meet me!
    It was just crazy at work after being gone for parts of 4 days! Our photo is on my work computer and I'll post it on Monday.

As always, meeting CF folks is like a reunion. I enjoyed dinner and talking and hope to connect again in the future.
    John says he's willing to host.... (smile).

Theresa didn't mentioned that she & her husband brought us homemade beer and root beer! I still haven't tried mine, but soon........

Sally, let us know when!! I'm a couple of hours south, but my mom and daughter live in the area and I don't need much of an excuse to drive up and visit. LOL

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

''John says he's willing to host''

Indeed I am. The coming month will be nutty, but maybe starting in March sometime we can do a part-izakaya, part-dim sum chez moi. I don't know enough dim sum dishes to make a whole meal, same for the izakaya, but by lumping them together, it can work.

I am not sure who all are the CF'ers in the area whom we did not see last week, you mentioned the names but I forgot them. Anyway, we can try to pick a day convenient to all, with plenty of advance time.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only other one I know for sure is Carol (readinglady).
    If there are others.......speak up!!!

Even a little later is probably better for me.
    And we don't have to do Japanese. Any theme would be fun!

Deanna

• lsr2002
    13 years ago

Looks like a really fun time. Deanna, your bag is terrific and the things that filled it are great too. Homemade beer and root beer are a nifty gift, Theresa.

John, grilled black cod is my favorite fish. Sadly black cod is almost never available here, either in fish counters or on restaurant menus. Occasionally Whole Foods has it, always in a marinade. Sake kasu is easy to buy here and I would prefer to buy the fish fresh and know how long I have it in the marinade. Dim sum and Izakaya dishes would be a fun combination; I hope you do host a CF party.

I'm looking forward to the photo and hope you all will have more Pacific Northwest meetups.
    Lee

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

I'll be sure and let you know when we're coming. I'm really looking forward to it. When the time gets closer and our plans are more concrete, I'll post something about it, probably over on the conversations page.

Pictures, we want pictures!

Sally

• theresafic
    13 years ago

Wow Sally since you will be coming soon to visit maybe we can schedule the meeting around it. That way it will give everyone plenty of time. I know I will need to learn to cook Izakaya, although maybe I could cook the black cod. I can bring Sake but have no idea of how to choose one. Hmmm, sounds like I have a winter project~

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, so here we are at Yuzu in Beaverton, Oregon.
    John in the back and left to right in front: Theresa, Deanna, my mom, Han (Theresa�s husband), and my daughter.

We pretty much wiped out the food before I remembered to take photos, but I did get some.
    Kakuna Ramen

Edamame, roast duck and black cod�and sake!

Fried chicken

Mostly just great company and conversation. Hopefully, we�ll get together again before long�.when Sally comes this way.

Deanna

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Oh, were we supposed to take the pictures 'before' we ate the food?

• annie1992
    13 years ago

It's nice to "see" everyone!

Yes, John, it's customary to take pictures before you eat the food, LOL, although those empty plates are a pretty powerful testament to the quality of the meal, I think.

It looks like a great time, I wish I lived closer.

Annie

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

I love seeing the pictures and all you beautiful people. It looks like it was a fun time. Forgetting to take the pictures tells me you were having too good of a time to even think about it. I can't wait till I get to come up there.

Sally

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

Deanna, your mom looks great..I like her hair longer!

Hello to the rest of you too...