SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreagb_gw

how to assess energy efficiency of electric ranges?

andreagb
17 years ago

please feel free to let me know if this is an OT post. I wasn't sure where else to go.

DH and I are about to buy an electric range: no EnergyStar designations, and evidently the FTC doesn't require those energy output sheets for ranges, so I'm not sure how to begin my research. A brief Googling didn't help. Suggestions?

A related question: our toaster oven blew out at about the same time as the old range. I would opt for a double-oven electric range (Maytag Gemini) and a small toaster on the countertop for toast, since it seems wasteful to heat up the entire smaller oven of the Gemini for toast. But I want the double oven for holidays and for baking/broiling small amounts in the smaller oven (1.22 cubic feet) rather than heating the larger oven (4 cf). Also, the Gemini has a convection lower oven, which I think is better energy-wise than a regular oven, yes?

DH wants to get another toaster oven w/broiling capacity -- which would be too small for baking a single pan of muffins or other small loads -- plus a single-oven electric range. He'd probably be OK w/convection too.

What would you all advise w/regard to this question?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions