SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Energy efficiency Questions

2ajsmama
15 years ago

We have geothermal heat with electric backup in 18 month old 2700 sf Colonial and we just used 77 kWh/day this past month (avg temp 29 same as last year according to my bill). Last year it was 74. I am on GW a lot more now with old computer running, but not sure why we're using so much (more this year!) electricity. We have Energy Star (though LG claimed it was better than it really is) fridge and DW. Hot water is electric, though it's prewarmed by the heat pump that's not saying much this time of year. Usage is around 40 kWh/day during the non-heating season (even in the cooling season our heat pump is pretty efficient, bill doesn't change much from May - Oct, jumps in Nov when we turn on the breaker for backup heat). So on average we are still paying $265/mo for electricity all year round!

Windows are Andersen 400 series thermopane, we have 2x6 framing and R-22 insulation in the exterior walls, basement is insulated (not sure R value of fiberglas batts but have 2x10 joists so it's deep, at least R-19). Attic has full soffits and ridge vent but have R-38 in attic floor, also walls on either side of attic and basement stairs are insulated (R-22?). House is modular so we were thinking may not be sealed/insulated well b/t floors?

The only other things we could think of were to replace our 3-yr old non-Energy Star washer and dryer (electric) with front-load washer and a clothes line, and to maybe put foam gaskets on the outlets. Don't want to make the house too tight though - we haven't tested for radon, but sometimes we get sewer smell from Studor valve in attic and somehow from basement (along untrimmed sides of stair stringer, so not sure how much good it did to insulate interior DR, foyer walls along stairwell). So we know we are sucking air from unfinished sections of the house b/c the rest of the house is so tight. ERV was $2600 option we didn't get, think it can be installed afterwards so that's why we put it off but I'd like not to spend the $ at all. Any suggestions? Worth paying electric company $75 for an energy audit?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH