SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Fiberglas insulation around windows?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

I posted on the Remodeling forum and got conflicting responses. Everyone seems to agree that low-expanding foam is better than fiberglas around windows and doors but here's the problem. DH packed fiberglas in tightly around windows b/c he didn't think builder put enough. Then I hired carpenter to (in some cases recut) biscuit join the mitres on pre-cut casing, I stained and poly'd, got all the bedroom windows and 1 bath (9 windows) up then found the tight fiberglas downstairs. If DH did all the windows like this (I assume he did), should I pull off and prob. destroy the 9 window casings to put foam around instead?

We haven't caulked anything b/c the casings are stained and not painted. I asked DH if we should run a bead of caulk on back of casings b4 install (I didn't want to caulk after install and have it show), he said it would make a mess so we didn't. But should we do that with the remaining ones?

I was hoping people here would know more about insulating and caulking, but that I could also get reasonable answer about exisitng casings (only cost about $150 - $200 for work so far but to redo it would involve materials too and so figure at least $400 plus another couple weeks of my time more to redo those windows if I wreck the casing and have to buy/join/finish new). Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored