SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Insulation around windows - how tight?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

DH and I were talking about making our 2-yr old house more energy efficient last night, he was saying there wasn't much more we could do "B/c I packed as much insulation as I could around the windows." (while I had the casing off to stain - all the woodwork in our modular came tacked in place loosely). Sure enough, I checked the windows that hadn't had casing put up yet and insulation was packed in pretty much as tight as it could go (maybe gave 3/4" in 2x6 walls when I poked my finger in). I tried explaining that fiberglas insulation was like bubblewrap, if you smash it flat so there's no air it doesn't work as well as if you leave bubbles. Now he's mad at me and says I can pull it all out and redo it b/c he's not doing any more around "my" house. I have 2 ?s

1. How tightly/loosely should insulation be installed around windows/door jambs?

2. Should I pull the casings off the 9 upstairs windows I just paid a carpenter to biscuit join and install (tightly with a nail gun) in order to loosen up the insulation, or should I wait and pay $75 for an energy audit (we were talking about last night) from the electric company to see how bad they are before we rip all that work out and redo it?

Thanks

Comments (20)