SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

I'm cold. cheap heat!

behaviorkelton
16 years ago

I've been considering a fireplace *insert* to heat my 1000 sq ft. house... apparently, even the smallest size will do.

I live in a heavily treed neighborhood and neighbors are always having dead trees cut down (or trees that are at the end of the life cycle). These cut trees are left on the curb side for days until the city comes and picks up the chunks of tree left by the arborists.

When I had my trees cut down, a couple of neighborhood folks came by and took all the wanted (probably only 5% of what I had cut!).

As far as I can tell, I could have a free heating fuel supply for as long as I live here... heck, the entire neighborhood could probably provide it's own heat supply.

So the fireplace sucks as a heat source, but I understand that there are wood burning inserts that do a fine job of cranking out useful heat.

Does anyone have information about this stuff? Anything that I should be considering?

I have posted recently about my brilliant-but-simple idea for cutting energy use when it gets cold. What I do is put one of those electric oil-filled radiators beside my recliner and throw a quilt over myself and the heater. It only uses 600watts, but it cranks out more heat than I want. Given that it's just me (and my GF), I hate to heat an entire house with the central heat system.

So anyway, perhaps I can live a bit more luxuriously by heating most of the house with one of those wood burning inserts... that way, I don't have to shiver when I get out of the recliner!

Thanks for any opinions, info, or links!

Comments (17)

Sponsored