SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheboc

Insect bites in house

cheboc
10 years ago

Itchy bites especially on forehead but also here and there on legs, neck, arms. My problem started when I opened a bag of Miracle Gro wood chip orchid potting medium in my kitchen nearly 3 weeks ago. I repotted the plant and left the remainder of the large bag on the kitchen floor. Two days later I saw gnats/flies flying out of the bag. I removed it but have had sighting of smaller flying insects than those that originally came out of the bag. I contacted Scotts and they think these are fungus gnats. I have moved all of my plants out of the house and have no fruit or vegetables out. I put out containers of apple cider vinegar with drops of dish soap in three rooms. If I am catching anything, it is invisible. I have used baking soda/vinegar followed by boiling water in the kitchen and bathroom drains. I put out the glue traps yesterday but have caught nothing. I'm still being bitten every day. However, my husband has no bites. I think I am allergic or sensitive to the bites and he is not. Also, I have sprayed the house weekly with Raid House/Garden. It seems to help for about 24 hours, then the biting resumes. I also spray at night with insect repellent but I'm tired of all of the chemicals. If you have any suggestions I have not used, please advise. Thanks

Comments (5)