SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardurnit

Heatpumps seem to be most efficient for water / home heat - True?

gardurnit
14 years ago

I found something very interesting that I really did not know or realize.

Heat pumps seem to be the most efficient, perhaps more so in value, compared even to solar collectors.

This is hard for me to believe and I know it certainly depends on the final installed costs. See here and

please comment or disprove it.

http://www.aceee.org/Consumerguide/waterheating.htm

This site has something that I hope you all will review and comment on. The costs of using methods to heat home water.

Please be aware that every answer is not complete .. ever. There are always new thoughts and developments.

However as of now January 18, 2010 it appears that heat pump is 2.20 or 220% efficient (using heat from the environment).

This could be augmented by using a solar collector to bring more heat to the heat pump. I don't know if this pump uses ground

based heat storage.

For $4000 I should think that 5 sq meters = 4000 watts could supply a lot of hot water to a home. Albeit not at night but with storage heat would be carried over.

Even snow compressed into a large pond in Winter offers some

Minnisota buildings a source of cold water to cool the

buildings in Summer.

What do you think or now know about in regard to the near future of heat pumps for hot water and home heating?

Please do compare what you know to climates from Maine to Texas to Florida to Washington State it would be very helpful.

I'm willing to contribute 1 hour / week on this topic and research it by getting constant news updates about the cheapest ways to get hot water.

I'm building a house from a 1912 Victorian starting point and want to d my best all while saving money and offering an example of 'how to do it."

Thanks

Andre

Comments (13)

Sponsored