SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Swai? Swhat?, Swindled? Sgood!

I was in a hurry to pickup something at Trader JoeÂs. I saw a frozen pack of fish with an American flag on the pack. So I picked it up and went home.

Well, got home and read the back of the package, it was from Thailand, it had nothing to do with America.

Then I found out what looked like tilapia is not. It is swai. What kind of fish is that? Never had it before.

Anyway, it tasted pretty good, with a sweet mild taste and light flaky texture.

dcarch

Comments (17)

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Basa Swai is close to catfish............

Here is a link that might be useful: Basa Swai

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful dish! Love your aspargus swirl.

Sorry, no help on the fish - no big fish eaters here.

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

We used to eat a lot of Basa until I read something about where it came from and the potential health risk. I liked the taste of the fish and it's quite a bit cheaper than other fillets. But some of the information really freaked me out. Not sure if it's true at all but I don't want to take any chances. No more Basa for us for now. Al

Here is a link that might be useful: About Basa Fish

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

River Catfish, sometimes called cobbler fish -- which can't be labeled catfish in the US because it's imported. A labeling law was passed to prohibit non-American carfish from being called catfish after the Carfish Lobbyists (no, I'm not kidding) raised holy h--- about Asia flooding the US market with cheap catfish. (I sympathise with their cause, but I prefer calling a spade a spade...or a catfish a catfish.)

• jimster
    14 years ago

Once again I am knocked out by your design skill, dcarch.

Due to the influences in my own training I tend to avoid symbolism in design. In this case however, I couldn't help but remember looking into the face of a wave as it reached the shore and seeing a big fish in there.

Jim

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Al - I saw the same information and wont buy it either. Of course, it helps that I don't like catfish so it is never really tempting LOL! Actually, I avoid any fish (shellfish or otherwise) that comes from China or anywhere in SE Asia. Nope - their standards are far different from mine and I will not put myself or my family at risk.

Alexa

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Thanks for the information. I often shop at Trader Joe's and I would not have known this was catfish by the labeling. Like Alexa, I don't care for catfish. No matter how it is prepared it always tastes faintly (or strongly) of mud to me.

• Rusty
    14 years ago

Here it is marketed simply as "Basa".

It is very good.

Neither the flavor nor the texture even remotely resembles catfish in any way. It is, as dcarch says, very tender, mild, slightly sweet.

Nor has it ever made me, or anyone else I've served it to,
    sick. I do have a tendency to take things like the article linked to above, with a grain of salt. Often a very large grain. ;>)

dcarch, I too am, as jimster writes, once again, "knocked out" by your design skills.

Rusty

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

FWIW, a while back I printed and folded up a little wallet guide from the place that JessyF often links to. Monterey something-or-other? Just pulled it out and at they rate "Swai, Basa (farmed)" as a "good alternative." (That falls in the middle of their three ratings: Best Choices, Good Alternatives and Avoid.)

• caliloo
    14 years ago

"Neither the flavor nor the texture even remotely resembles catfish in any way. It is, as dcarch says, very tender, mild, slightly sweet.

sick. I do have a tendency to take things like the article linked to above, with a grain of salt. Often a very large grain. ;>)"

Out of curiosity, how would you describe catfish? I dont care for it (mentioned above) but fans of it have described it as "tender, mild, slightly sweet".....

Also, I'm not sure any of those toxins would render you immediately ill and in need of medical treatment, but long term exposure cant be in anyones best interest, IMHO.

Alexa

• Rusty
    14 years ago

Catfish, or at least the catfish we get here in Texas, has a completely different texture than the Basa, or any other fish I've ever had, for that matter.
    It can be slightly tough (for lack of a better word), and it does not flake easily at all.
    Personally I always marinate catfish in water with some salt and vinegar. This removes the 'muddy' taste.
    Have never had Basa that needed this treatment.

However, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Far be it from me to try to convince you otherwise.

Nor am I of the opinion that everything read on the Internet is the gospel truth.
    We all should consider the source of anything we read, online or off, and weigh the options very carefully. Then decide who, what, where, whatever, we are going to believe whole heartedly, or even half heartedly, and what we chose to consider as over concern, exaggeration, or maybe even 'sour grapes'.

Rusty

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Posted by dirtgirl07 -
    That's a beautiful dish! Love your asparagus swirl.
    Sorry, no help on the fish - no big fish eaters here.¨

Thanks. Give me time; I will convert you into a fish lover.

"Posted by jimster -----
    Once again I am knocked out by your design skill, dcarch.
    Due to the influences in my own training I tend to avoid symbolism in design. In this case however, I couldn't help but remember looking into the face of a wave as it reached the shore and seeing a big fish in there. Jim"

Thanks Jim. You have ESP? In fact I was playing with the water theme; Asparagus swirl, pearl onion bubbles, and fish.

"Posted by therustyone -----
    Here it is marketed simply as "Basa".
    It is very good.
    Neither the flavor nor the texture even remotely resembles catfish in any way. It is, as dcarch says, very tender, mild, slightly sweet.
    sick. I do have a tendency to take things like the article linked to above, with a grain of salt. Often a very large grain. ;>)
    dcarch, I too am, as jimster writes, once again, "knocked out" by your design skills.
    Rusty"

Thanks Rusty. I like the name Basa better than Swai. I still have a few in the freezer. I think I am going to make a dish call, "Basa Nova" :-)
    Swai did not taste like catfish, it's milder and not as firm. I like the flavor of catfish. Interesting that catfish is classified as not fatty. I always like catfish because it¡¦s fatty.
    I am not concern that it may not be safe. I don't think that it would be sold here if it is really dangerous. I don't think I will eat it more than a few times a year to worry about the danger.
    Also, thanks everyone for the interesting information I have learned from you about Swai.

dcarch

• lindac
    14 years ago

I do take things I read on the internet with a peck of salt, but.... I'm not eating farmed catfish from Viet Nam, and I don't feed my dog rawhide chews from China, nor do I sand the lead paint off my woodwork without a mask and lots of wet cloths.
    And I don't smoke either.
    None of those things will make me sick next month....but perhaps in a few years......?

• shaun
    14 years ago

I don't think that it would be sold here if it is really dangerous

Seriously?

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Personally, I don't care if you want to drink daily shots of toxic waste, followed by a pack of Pall Mall and mainline heroin in the meantime. I was just stating that I do not serve farmed fish from SE Asia to my family........

And Shaun... LOL!

Alexa

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

I actually like the flavor of Basa. Only I don't like to take a chance.

Honestly, if not because hubby always got a bloody nose the day after eating fish (not just Basa) I wouldn't pay much attention to what Basa really was. I did some research and found the above article. I don't think Basa alone causes epistaxis in his case. But that gave me something to think about.

It's a strange thing... hubby was never a healthy food eater. I have tried for many years to add healthy food, one at a time, into his diet. Last year I introduced him to fish. He liked it, but he would get a bloody nose if he ate fish two days in a row. That's for both fresh and canned fish. I know Omega 3 fatty acid have a blood thinning effect but it would take a large amount, I mean very large amount to get to the point where someone will bleed out. So I didn't connect the dots.

It finally got to the point he had to go to a walk-in clinic then ER twice because even the walk-in doctor couldn't stop the bleeding. I knew it was time for me to stop serving him fish. Once fish was off the menu, he seemed to be fine.

A year later I thought I would try again. Just started serving fish again two weeks ago. He had already bled 3 times. I could no longer deny the connection between fish and Epistaxis so once again I took fish off the menu. He seems fine now since he hasn't eaten any fish for three days. For now, I will try to serve fish only once a week to see if he can handle it. Little man and I love fish. If the big boy cannot tolerate fish even once a week. I will have to prepare two meals on fish days. It's a pain but I won't stop serving fish because one of us cannot eat it.

Al

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Posted by shaun --
    I don't think that it would be sold here if it is really dangerous
    Seriously? "

Yes, absolutely very seriously. I do have some faith in our system, may not be 100%. There have been food and safety issues with food and products originated from all countries, including ours.

I try to base my decisions on objective and balanced information, which to many others may be absolute idiocy, and I can understand where they are coming from, and I don't for one minute blame them for feeling that way.
    There are rewards and punishments for all decisions we make and we take the consequences as a result.

For example, there is no way you can get me to do sky diving, yet I cannot tell the ones who enjoy the sport that they are stupid. Well, if you offer me a $ million dollars, I may reconsider and take the leap :-).

BTW, I responded to your post in the Computer Forum.

dcarch