SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelle_gw

Has anyone seen Dr. Shapiro's

naturelle
20 years ago

Picture Perfect Diet presentation. It happened to be on our local PBS feed from Buffalo, as part of a fundraising drive. It was very interesting. The principle of his diet is to make good food choices for weight loss and hearthealth, and that there are misconception of what our choices are. To reinforce the relative merits of alternative food choices, he shows pictures. I don't remember the exact details, but for example, he would show a chicken caesar salad (loaded with the extras), and asks if you would consider that a diet choice. Of course, we all choose that for a "light" lunch. Well, he shows that equivalent to that salad for 1200 calories, you could have x, y, z, a and five r's. But, in reality you would likely be satisfied with z, a, and one r, all for 300 calories. The alternatives he shows are satisying, delicious foods too. He went through several combinations of this's and that's. One of the illustrations was like comparing a breakfast of cream cheese and bagel versus, as an alternative, TWELVE slices of bread, soy sausages, eggwhite omellete and MORE, for the same calories, or obviously dropping a few of the extras for a fraction of the calories. There were more extreme illustrations than that.

They showed how the doctor worked with firefighters, and changed their food choices. They ended up eating as much nutritious and delicious foods than they would want, yet they lost weight and were hearthealthy as well.

It was awesome to pictorially see the comparisons, on one side there would be two cookies, and on the other side for the same calories, a tableful of food. Obviously, you can't eat all the food on the table, so you'll be ahead of the game.

I'm not on any strict diet (I could/should be, perhaps, as I'm about 10-15 pounds overweight), but I take a great interest to be aware of my weight and eating healthy, as I get older (LOL I'm already old!).

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design