SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laser_lady

Dead animal smell from dried paint.

Laser_Lady
21 years ago

We painted the outside of our house with exterior Weatherbeater Latex from Sears. It reeks like dead animal (some say cat urine). At first we painted the back and the smell was so bad I asked the neighbor if he was spraying heavy duty insecticides. Within a couple of days the smell was so bad the neighbor began cutting down his oleanders, (the oleanders are [were] growing along the fence between our houses. He thought there must be a dead animal in them.)

Then we painted the front of the house. After that dried we discovered the smell was coming from the house! The mail lady and even the UPS man both have gagged when delivering to the front door, as well as the neighbors. It has been 9 days now and it keeps getting more sour. The smell is very organic in nature.

Sears paint says this happens sometimes and we should seal the whole house with an oil based primer and then re paint with an oil based paint. The smell is so bad we cannot leave the windows or doors open. I think Sears needs to send someone out to our house.

I want to know what smells. I do not want a some poison sealed forever in my walls!

Comments (6)