SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Caulking - not a fan.

User
13 years ago

We installed crown moulding a few years ago and within a year, there are cracks between the wall and crown or ceiling and crown where it's separated. It looks bad and areas need cut out and redone. Yay. When installed, I bought the most expensive caulking they sold at Lowes thinking it would be fine. Silicone (I think anyhow. Can't clean it up w/ water. Or maybe it was silicone latex. I doubt I have the tube anymore) and paintable. Tube says "will not shrink". They lie. The crown was primed and painted before installed, then caulked.

The caulking around our countertop in the bathroom has the same issue but that came with the house so who knows what was used. I started to rip that out. Yay.

I've also noticed it doesn't matter if the tube says paintable because they paint seems to shrink and wants to come off after a few months. (Laundry room sink and other bathroom sink) ???

I'm looking for wonder caulk that doesn't do this. I'm willing to pay whatever it costs. After doing some searching I see this Tom248 on the Home Repair forum has the same issue. Brushworks mentioned BM. I thought they just sold paint.

"Posted by brushworks (My Page) on Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 19:54

I have to agree. It's the grade of the caulk and the size of the gap.

I always used the urethane acrylics like BM's Crown & Trim 464. It's permanently flexible and made exclusively for crown & trim.

It's always best to clean out those gaps with 5-in-1 tool and prime prior to caulking too. When unprimed, you may experience separation with most painter caulks.

Michael"

Anyone else have this problem? Ever use the BM kind? Solutions?

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

Comments (5)