SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Mildew under the shower caulk, how to prevent

I had tried so many cleaners and nothing seems to work. I have a ceramic tiled shower with a molded plastic or fiberglas floor that curves up about 3 inches to meet the tile, with a lip or shelf at this spot. The joint between the tile and the plastic floor is caulked.

I always seen to get mildew growing under the caulk. Is there any way of removing it without having to strip all the caulk off and re-do it? It's such a tedious job, and I caulked only 2 years ago. There are NO visible gaps between the caulk and the tile, no loose spots, and the gray mildew is running the whole length of it. It actually looks as if I caulked the shower with spotty gray caulk! On beige tile. I can't see how it gets in and has a chance to grow.

Before I last re-caulked, I scraped out all the old caulk, and scrubbed and bleached like mad until there was no trace of it. I literally stuffed strips of paper towel soaked in mildew killer in the cracks, in several stages, and scrubbed in between.

Then I let the shower dry for a few days to make sure there was nothing left "alive" in the gap. Then I recaulked. The mildew was back in very short order.

Does everyone have this problem??? It looks like I don't even clean the shower! I have no problem with mildew on the grout. When it starts there it comes right off with little effort. The room has good air circulation: the shower is open at the top. Is there any caulk that will not allow mildew to grow in or under it?

If I ever re-tile it will have to be with gray tile and gray grout!

Comments (49)