SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
speckmo

Odor After Kitchen Fire

speckmo
11 years ago

Had a kitchen fire February, 2012. Reconstruction and restoration of contents and structure took place and was complete April, 2012 at which time we moved back in. Shortly thereafter, as the weather began to heat up (in midwest) My husband and I began to smell an acrid odor in the house.

Entire interior of home cleaned, primed/sealed, and painted - two coats. Carpet and padding replaced. All contents cleaned (washed, dry cleaned, ozone treatment) or disposed of.

Cleaning came back out and sprayed the ozone stuff a couple of times...also in the attic.

We were told the carpet padding and other chemicals and "new smells" would be present for a while. It is now one year later and it's just as strong as it's ever been when it gets warm out.

My husband and I suspect the odor is coming from insulation in the attic when it heats up. This is not a "smoke" smell as if from burning wood, or a camp fire. It is the same acrid, sour smell I smelled in my home a few days after the fire when we toured the home with our insurance adjuster.

I suspect our insurance is going to argue with us. A few times it has been posed to us that people often have smell a "phantom" fire odor after going through such an experience.

Advice or suggestions?

Comments (3)