SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
supergrrl7

House Plan sketches for Review

supergrrl7
11 years ago

Hello All,
I would love some help working through a tricky building project. We own a small lot in a historic neighborhood. We would like the house we built to have all the modern amenities, but look like it fits on our street where most houses were built between 1890 and 1930. We will have to have any plans we draw up approved by an architectural review board.

Our lot is pretty small: 138 X 55.5 (with a 30 foot front setback, 6 ft on each side above ground level, and 10 ft in the rear). It also has issues with very close buildings that belong to our neighbors being on or very near the property line and it is bordered on one side by a public parking lot. It is an extremely desirable location, nevertheless, and we are committed to figuring out a way to make it work.

We don't want to waste money on an inefficient foundation and roofline so right now I am leaning toward a straightforward rectangle, hopefully with an old school porch, if we can spare the square footage. A house like these would fit the neighborhood quite well:

{{gwi:1520524}}

Source: historicalbanyalabama.com via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:1520525}}

Source: muddyriverdesign.com via Amber on Pinterest

{{gwi:1520526}}

Source: architecturalhouseplans.com via Amber on Pinterest

I have been sketching various floorplans to try to figure out how to make the best use of the good features of the house. I really want a very open living area with big windows that maximize the amount of light but minimize the view of the neighbors' buildings and driveway. We have two daughters, age 6 and 9, but we want to design this house to accommodate future lifestyle changes such as being empty nesters, having our grandchildren return for visits and hopefully stacked closets that could some day be used for an elevator, since we really plan to spend the rest of our lives in this house.

We have lived in old houses with tiny bathrooms and kitchens, so I am afraid I am over compensating a little. We would like a kitchen that is somewhat separate from view in the living room. I really want a large pantry with countertops and a prep sink where I can keep my husband's rice cooker (which is always full of rice) and maybe the coffee pot so it isn't sitting on the counter forever. I like to cook, so I would like a large island to work on. I would love a generous mudroom area because we do not wear shoes in the house and are always tripping over piles of shoes dumped in front of the door. We need 3 bedrooms and a guest room as well as an office so my husband can work at home.

This is what I have sketched so far, I was inspired by CamG's plans. I am eager for any suggestions about the layout and practicality. I know there are probably plumbing issues with the master bath,but I haven't figured out how to rearrange things upstairs to rectify it yet. We do plan to consult an architect, but I would really prefer to know that I can fit everything I want into our lot before we start.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida