SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwimjim

Small house plan, first draft, any issues?

qwimjim
12 years ago

I'm hoping to build a 2 story ~1800' sqft home (900 per floor), on a budget so trying to make efficient use of space without lacking any key features. Here is a rough draft of our first plan, let me know if you see any issues.

I'm not sure about the master closet, would it bother any of you to just have a 4x15' closet? It would be one 15' length of shelving, storage and rods on one side. Could bump it out to 4'6" for a little more room.

Also regarding the staircase, I'm not sure what would look better, completely closing off the basement side, or leaving it all open with railings everywhere.

The room in the front of the house is just a bonus room, we would probably use it as an office or kids playroom but could be used as a formal dining or sitting room, or bedroom for anyone with mobility issues.

And finally I know the second floor laundry room is a hotly debated topic but it seems to me that if we put in a tile floor with a drain and build up the tile a few inches up the walls there would be nowhere for water to go in the event of a leak/flood.. right? And obviously don't run washer/dryer when not home or sleeping.

Let me know, thanks!

By qwimjim

By qwimjim

By qwimjim

By qwimjim

By qwimjim

By qwimjim

and finally here is an alternate photo of the staircase but with all the walls removed so it's completely open. is it too much? too many railings?

By qwimjim

Comments (24)