SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Need suggestions for wood applications in Arts and Crafts home

ncamy
16 years ago

We are building a new (but hopefully authenic) arts and crafts style home on a small lot in a historical area. We plan to have a lot of stained woodwork and built ins. I'm OK with using normal oak flooring...in fact I prefer it. I like the look and the price. We do not want to use anything exotic or expensive. What do you suggest for the windows and trim work? I don't want pine because I don't want it to look "rustic" but rather crafted in the true sense of the time period. We are trying to make our house look like it was built in the 30s.

Also what kind of kitchen cabinetry do you think we should use? We've been leaning toward painted white wood cabinets with soapstone counters, but I'm not opposed to wood stained cabinets. The issue is that the kitchen is open to the dining room which is open to the living room. My husband has one piece of furniture that he is not willing to part with. It can be seen at http://www.hickorychair.com/product_detail.aspx?i=3587 Yes, I know that it doesn't quite fit in with the craftsman style home we are building, but he loves this sideboard and wants to keep it. I especially want a suggestion for the type of wood and stain to use for the wainscoting in the dining room that will both look like the arts and crafts authentic trim and blend with this traditional piece of furniture. I'm thinking that we shouldn't go too oakey since this piece is so formal yet we want everything to look handcrafted and we don't want our house to be formal.

We also plan to have either solid or boxed beams in one or more of the rooms. Any suggestions to what type of wood and stain to use? By the way I have several handcrafted antiques that have been in my family that we will be using in various other rooms of the house....a beautiful small chest which I believe is walnut (it was made from wood off my grandfather's farm) and a bedroom suit that is either mahogany or possibly black cherry also commissioned by my grandparents during the same time period.

Obviously we've never been the "matchy matchy" type but I do want things to blend. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Cost is a factor though we do plan on splurging on having stained versus painted woodwork.

Comments (7)