SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abrshafer_gw

Floor Plans... Which one better?

abrshafer
11 years ago

Hi again! You may remember me posting last month. I had a floor plan that I really liked and had given it to the builders we are considering for feedback and estimates. Since then, I went into my neighbors house and saw their angled keeping room, which I loved! I am changing that on my floor plan. The question now is how to adjust the rest of the floor plan. Below are two ways I think I could do this but was wanting to see what others thought. Also, because of the large first floor "footprint" we either need to reduce the square footage back to 2500-2600 on first floor OR lose the unfinished basement.

We were thinking to try and compromise and do a partial unfinsihed basement and keeping about 2700-2800 on first floor. However, the builders are all saying that it won't save much money to do a partial vs a full unfinished basement.

Opinions?
We wouldn't be finishing the basement for 5-7 years and our plan is another family room (place to send the kids when they are teenagers and college age- currently 4/6 now) or man cave.... otherwise using it for storage and a utility garage.

If we don't have a basement, we could have 3000 sq feet main level and 1200 on second level. With basement we would need 2500-2600 main level and 800 on second level.

Comments (22)