SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Family Dinner.......uuugh!

User
15 years ago

I'm having a family get together Saturday to celebrate Sara and Chris' birthdays, Christmas for those in the family who couldn't be here "the" day, and Meredith's Bon Voyage to Australia. Will be 22 in all.

I have to admit to being a bit cooked out after the holidays and the week at the cottage so I want it simple (ie not much work) but nice.

Ham, roast beef and turkey are all over done by now. The only thing I can think of is a couple of different lasagnas, salad and rolls.

Briefly though of a soup party, still mulling that, but they really are a lot of work and I am so cooked out....

Maybe a hot sandwich and chile bar????

I need inspiration......

Comments (36)

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like all of your ideas.

What about a taco bar instead of the chili bar?

Need for Taco Bar:
    flour tortillas
    crunch corn tortillas
    corn chips or Fritos (for those wanting to make a "salad")
    ground beef seasoned
    chicken seasoned
    guac or chopped avocado
    sour cream
    couple of cheeses grated or crumbled(like Queso)
    chopped tomatoes
    olives
    shredded lettuce or sliced romaine(my choice)
    sauce or salsa
    My kids like ranch on theirs.

Nice big bowl of fruit.

Desserts would be Lime something and chocolate for me. LOL

Here's a pie Lime Fluff Pie
    or Lemon Lush is easy

• lindac
    15 years ago

How about that old "junk food favorite"...cornflake chicken...pretty mudh you crush corn flakes and roll chicken pieces in seasoned evaporated mink and then in cornflake crumbs and pop on a cookie sheet and put into the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes...you could serve with oven browned potatoes, if you have room and something like broccoli salad.
    Meatloaf and baked potatoes?
    hamloaf and sweet potatoes?
    How about a whole baked or poached salmon and dilled creamed potatoes?
    Linda c

• Fori
    15 years ago

Mmmmmm. I want the lasagna. Maybe it's not all that original, but everyone loves it and if it lets you relax a little, even better. Nobody will wish you'd done something else. It's perrrrfect!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

R-E-S-E-R-V-A-T-I-O-N-S

Or take out

I give you permission to take a break from cooking if it gives you more time/energy with the family

But I'll have more ideas later. For example, lasagna is one of the EASIEST things I make, I just toss a log of herbed goat cheese into the ricotta mixture, I dont' boil the noodles (add a bit more water), use (kevlar undies on) jarred sauce.

I also made a couple of stratas for our Hannukah party and they were so easy and such huge hits. One was Strata with various stuff so it was.....Stradavarious....the other one we called Eric S. Yeah, you got it, Eric S. Strata. groan for both. I'll post recipes later if you want, gotta do carpool.

• woodie
    15 years ago

I do think that everyody loves lasagna. Everybody in my family also loves that old standby broccoli salad too and a green salad. That would be perfect in my book.

How bout a couple of casseroles of Marilyn's enchiladas - they're super easy and good and some salad.

What about a couple of big briskets (they serve a lot), done in the oven you don't even have to brown them first, just cover with some onions and other stuff and roast (Dishesdone and I make the same good recipe), slice up a day ahead and reheat in the juices, rolls alongside and that good ole broccoli salad and a noodle salad of some kind and I'd be your best friend :)

Lindac's chicken in evaporated mink would certainly be interesting, I betcha! Linda, does the mink come in a can or in coat form?

• jcrowley99
    15 years ago

All the options here sound good. Lasagna would be very easy, esp. if you do it with the no boil noodles. A couple different salads, maybe one basic tossed, and a spinach salad or fruit salad, a couple kinds of crusty breads ( white and wheat), and maybe a couple bottles of wine. I have to say the taco bar sounds good too, and not too hard. As long as everyone will eat it. A chili bar would also be fun. The lasagna might be the easiest for party time though, all you would need to do is pull the pans from the oven (you could even make them ahead and freeze them and reheat the that day), pull the salads from the fridge (which you can do most of the prep on early in the day and just add the toppings before serving, put dressing on the side and let people choose), put out a big platter of crusty bread (that you cut up that morning), butter, EVOO, parmesan cheese... that's about it. You could relax with your guests!

Joanne

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Sharon, I agree on the lasagna, and you can make them ahead and refrigerate so you're not doing everything at the last minute.

You could do the obligatory red sauce lasagna, a chicken or white lasagna, a vegetarian lasagna, whatever. Pick up some good bread, make a salad or two and dessert.

Amanda makes lasagna like Jessica does, she just browns ground beef, pours in a jar of sauce, layers the sauce, noodles, her choices of cheese, bakes it.

By the time she adds all that cheese, few people notice.

Or just order pizza!

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

Another wonderful dish to serve for that many is Chicken Coq au Vin. There are many recipes to choose from including
    Julia Child's recipe

Ann

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

I like lasagna, of course.

It's fairly easy, you can make it well in advance and you can have fun with 2-4 different kinds (depending on number of people). Her's my collected recipes (all proven in my EKG classes):

"JOEYS KILLER LASAGNA"

Serves 8

1 medium onion -- chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 pound ground beef
    1/2 pound Italian sausage -- casings removed
    1/2 pound ground veal
    2 cloves garlic  thinly sliced
    4 ounces mushrooms -- chopped
    15 ounces tomato sauce
    12 ounces tomato paste
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon oregano  dried leaves
    1 teaspoon basil  dried crushed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    8 ounces mozzarella cheese -- thinly sliced
    1 pound Ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    12 ounces lasagna noodles

Instructions

Sauté the chopped onion in the olive oil. Add and cook the ground meats, garlic, and mushrooms. Drain.

Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, water, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Simmer covered for 1-1/2 hours.

Cook the lasagna noodles while sauce is simmering. Use 10 to 16 pieces depending on the width of the noodles (use more wide noodles). Drain, rinse, and drain again.

Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.

Cover the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of the sauce. Layer: 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the Ricotta cheese (in dollops), 1/3 of the Mozzarella. Repeat twice more. Cover with the Parmesan cheese.

Bake uncovered in a 350º oven for 40-50 minutes, or until bubbly.

WHITE WINE SEAFOOD LASAGNA

Makes 12 servings as a first course, 6 as an entree.

Ingredients

2 pounds bay scallops
    1/3 cup butter
    1 cup green onion -- chopped
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    1/4 teaspoon thyme -- dried
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup chicken broth -- regular strength
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/2 cup dry white wine -- * see note
    8 ounces lasagna noodles
    1/2 pound Havarti cheese (or other mild Swiss) -- shredded

Instructions

Rinse scallops well and drain; if using regular scallops, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 12- to 14-inch frying pan. Add onion, garlic, and thyme; stir on medium-high heat for 1 minute.

Add scallops and cook, stirring often, until they are opaque in the center (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour scallops into a large strainer positioned over a bowl; let drain 20 to 30 minutes.

In the same frying pan, melt remaining butter on medium heat. Add flour and stir until it turns a light golden color. Remove from heat and smoothly mix in broth, cream, and wine. Return to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring. Set aside.

Fill a 4 to 5-quart pan 3/4 full with water and bring to boiling over high heat. Add lasagna noodles and boil, uncovered, until tender to bite, about 10 minutes; drain. Rinse lasagna with cold water until cool; drain again and set aside.

Pour scallop juices into a 1- to 1-1/2-quart pan and boil on high het, uncovered, until reduced to about 2 tablespoons; stir near the end to keep juices from scorching. Mix juices with cream sauce.

Line the bottom of a 9- by 12-inch buttered baking pan or dish with 1/3 of the lasagna noodles. Spread noodles with 1/3 of the sauce, top with 1/3 of the scallops, then with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers twice more, ending with cheese on top.

Cover pan with a lid or foil; if made ahead, chill up to one day, then bring to room temperature. Bake lasagna in a 350 F oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese is golden, about 20 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting; lift out portions with a wide spatula.

JOEY'S KILLER SPINACH LASAGNA

Serves 8

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
    8 oz mushrooms, very thinly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    28 ounces canned tomatoes
    6 oz tomato paste
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    ½ teaspoon oregano
    1 whole bay leaf
    16 ounces lasagna noodles
    1-1/2 lb fresh spinach, par-cooked and drained
    1 pound ricotta cheese
    1 whole egg
    3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
    1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
    1 teaspoon salt (or to taste/needs)
    1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Sauté onions, green peppers in oil until golden, stirring often.

Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring to brown mushrooms well.

Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, oregano, and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.

Combine spinach, ricotta, egg, ¼ cup of Parmesan, salt, nutmeg and pepper.

Spoon a third of the tomato sauce in bottom of 2-quart flat baking pan. Layer a third of the lasagna noodles, half the spinach-ricotta filling, half the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Repeat layers using half of the remaining sauce and noodles, and all remaining filling.

Top with remaining noodles, sauce, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Cover tightly and freeze or refrigerate.

(Better if made a day or two in advance.)

Bring to room temperature. Bake at 350º, covered, for 45 minutes, uncover, and continue baking for 20 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before cutting to serve.

COUNTRY STYLE VEGETARIAN LASAGNA

Serves 8+

Ingredients

8-12 uncooked lasagna sheets
    4 Tbs butter
    2 Tbs olive oil
    2 tsp garlic, very thinly sliced
    2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
    1-1/2 cup "wild" mushrooms**
    2 medium-large zucchini, sliced
    2 pounds spinach, blanched, drained and finely chopped
    2 cup fontina, taleggio, provolone or Asiago cheese,
    or any combination thereof; shredded/chopped
    1 Tbs fresh basil, shredded
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    2 Tbs flour
    2 cups hot milk
    1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
    2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (I like lots of pepper)

Directions

Cook the lasagna sheets in a pot of boiling salted water for about 8 minutes or till tender but just underdone. Drain and refresh in cold water. Drain well.

Melt half the butter in a pan with the olive oil. Sauté the garlic, onions and mushrooms on low heat for about 3 minutes.

Add the zucchini and sauté on low heat for about 3 minutes or until they are tender. Stir in the spinach, cheeses (except PR and mozzarella), basil, thyme, salt, and pepper.

To make the white sauce, heat the remaining butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook on low heat for about 1 minute. Gradually mix in the hot milk stirring constantly till smooth. Stir in the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

Spread a little bit of the white sauce on the bottom of a buttered/oiled 9x13, tall baking dish.

Place a layer of cooked noodles (about 1/3 of them) on top of this.

Over this, spread half of the zucchini, spinach and mushroom mixture.

Then 1/3 of the mozzarella and parmesan.

Cover with another layer of the lasagna and then with half the white sauce.

Repeat to end  zucchini, spinach, mushroom mixture, then mozzarella-parmesan, then noodles  then finish with a layer of the remaining white sauce and the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

** NOTES: Good "wild" mushrooms include matsutake, chanterelle, portabello, crimini ("baby bellas"), reconstituted porcinis (good luck finding fresh ones).

LASAGNA WITH ASPARAGUS AND PESTO

Serves 4

Ingredients
    1-1/2 pounds medium asparagus spears
    1 pound lasagna noodles
    12 cups béchamel sauce (recipe follows)
    1 cup pesto sauce (recipe follows)
    1 cup grated pecorino Sardo cheese
    1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Bring about 6 quarts of water to a boil and add about 2 Tbs salt.

Prepare a bowl of ice water. Trim the asparagus and boil 1 minute. Use tongs to remove the asparagus from the hot water, reserving the cooking water and refresh the cooked asparagus in the ice bath. Use tongs to transfer the asparagus to a colander, drain well  saving the cooking water -- and cut each spear in half crosswise. Set aside.

Bring the asparagus water to a boil and cook the lasagna noodles per package instructions. Drain well and refresh in the ice bath. Drain on towels and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, stir the béchamel, pesto, and grated cheese together until mixed well.

Butter four 6-inch oval gratin dishes and place 1 piece of pasta on the bottom of each. Top each piece of pasta with 3 pieces of asparagus and 2 Tbs of pesto, followed by another piece of pasta. Continue with this layering until you have 4 pieces of pasta and 4 layers of asparagus and pesto mixture. Lay one more piece of pasta on top, followed by a spoonful of pesto mixture and sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Place the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top.

Serve immediately.

---
    TRADITIONAL BÃCHAMEL SAUCE

Makes 3 cups (for larger quantities, make this in batches)

Ingredients

5 Tbs butter
    4 Tbs all-purpose flour
    4 cups milk
    1 slice onion
    1 whole bay leaf
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Directions

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the milk with the onion and bay leaf in a separate pan until just about to boil. Remove the bay leaf and onion and add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.

Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.

LASAGNA WITH SPINACH AND WILD MUSHROOMS

Serves 8 - 12

Ingredients

2 pounds lasagna noodles
    3 Tbs unsalted butter
    3 Tbs flour
    3 cups milk, hot
    salt to taste
    white pepper to taste
    nutmeg to taste
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 small onion, finely sliced
    6 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 cups spinach, cooked, drained, and finely chopped
    3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
    3/4 cup chanterelle mushrooms,
    brushed clean and sliced thin
    1 cup button mushrooms, brushed clean
    and medium diced
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 cups ricotta cheese
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup parsley, minced
    2 Tbs sage leaves, cut into chiffonade
    2 Tbs basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
    1 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Cook the lasagna noodles in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, cool, and set aside.

Heat the butter, blend in the flour, and cook several minutes without browning.

Add the milk and simmer, while stirring continuously, for several minutes. Season with salt and white pepper, strain, and set aside.

Sauté the onion in half of the olive oil.

Add the garlic, then the spinach, and season with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg.

Sauté the mushrooms in the remaining olive oil over high heat. Add the white wine, simmer until nearly dry, and season with salt and white pepper.

Preheat an oven to 375°F.

Coat the bottom of a large casserole dish liberally with butter or oil, and cover with a layer of noodles. Cover with a layer of spinach, coated with about half of the sauce, followed by another layer of noodles.

Blend the ricotta cheese with the eggs and herbs, and spread a layer of this on the noodles.

Sprinkle the top of this with the mushrooms, followed by another layer of noodles. Top this with the mozzarella, and a final layer of noodles.

Cover this with the sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese, and bake covered for 30 minutes.

Remove the cover, and bake another 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 20 minutes before serving.

If using aluminum foil to cover the dish for baking, be sure to place a sheet of parchment or wax paper over the pasta first, before covering with foil. Where the foil comes into contact with the lasagna, the acid in the milk, cheese, and so forth, will dissolve the aluminum and leave some on top of the food.

Any remaining ingredients can be used to prepare a second, smaller lasagna.

VEGETABLE LASAGNE

Serves 8-12

Ingredients

3 Tbs olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
    1-1/2 cups carrot, finely chopped
    1-1/2 cups cream
    Salt
    Pepper to taste
    3 Tbs flour
    1/2 pound broccoli florets
    2 cups ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    12 whole lasagne noodles, cooked

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic, and carrot until tender.

Add cream, seasonings, and flour. Cook over low heat until thickened. Stir in broccoli.

In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, eggs, and parsley; mix well.

Place 4 noodles in a casserole dish. Spread one-third of the broccoli mixture on top, followed by one-third of the cheese-egg mixture, and one-third of the mozzarella.

Repeat twice more. Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for about 1-¼ to 1-½ hours, until bubbly.

Let cool awhile before serving.

ARTICHOKE AND MUSHROOM LASAGNA

Serves 8

Ingredients

Filling

2 Tbs (1/4 stick) butter
    1 pound mushrooms, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 8-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts,
    thawed, coarsely chopped
    1 cup dry vermouth

Parmesan Béchamel sauce

4-1/2 Tbs butter
    4-1/2 Tbs all purpose flour
    4-1/2 cups whole milk
    2-1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    (about 7 1/2 ounces)
    Ground nutmeg

1 9-ounce package oven-ready (no-boil) lasagna noodles
    1 pound whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

Directions

For filling:

Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté until mushrooms release juices and begin to brown, about 7 minutes. Add artichokes and vermouth. Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

For béchamel sauce:

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour; stir 1
    minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce thickens and lightly coats spoon, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

Stir in 1 ½ cups Parmesan. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg.
    Spread 2/3 cup béchamel sauce over bottom of 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Top with enough noodles to cover bottom of dish. Spread ¼ of artichoke mixture over. Spoon 2/3 cup béchamel sauce over. Top béchamel with ¼ of mozzarella.

Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Top with enough noodles to cover. Repeat layering 3 more times, finishing with a layer of noodles and then remaining béchamel. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.

Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bake lasagna covered with foil 1 hour (or 1 hour 15 minutes if chilled).

Remove foil. Increase temperature to 450°F. Bake lasagna until golden on top, about 10 minutes longer.

Serve with a varied and large salad bar.

Joe

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Sorry, I have nothing - but I like the lasagna idea. Traditional and this one by Ina is great:

Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Serves: 6 servings

Kosher salt
    Good olive oil
    3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
    4 cups whole milk
    12 tablespoons (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms
    1 cup freshly ground Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt and a splash of oil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.

For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Set aside off the heat.

Separate the mushroom stems from the caps and discard the stems. Slice the caps 1/4-inch thick. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan. When the butter melts, add half the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and they release some of their juices. If they become too dry, add a little more oil. Toss occasionally to make sure the mushrooms cook evenly. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set all the mushrooms aside.

To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8 by 12 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Repeat 2 more times, layering noodles, sauce, mushrooms, and Parmesan. Top with a final layer of noodles and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.

Joe, The 15 ounce measurements on the Tomato Sauce and Paste strike me as odd since the cans I can find for sauce come in 141/2 and 28 and paste is 6 oz. Am I missing something? Is it a particular brand?

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Scratch my ? to Joe. The paste reads 12 oz (2 cans) not 15 oz. I thought that would be so odd to use 2 1/2 cans....never mind:)

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Last couple times I cooked for a group I made lasagna. People always love it - no one cooks it apparently, so it is much appreciated.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I think lasagna is a PIA!
    Once it's made it's easy from then on....but you have to brown the meat and onions add the tomatoes and seasoning and cook it and mix the ricotta and the eggs and parsley and then layer it with sliced cheese etc etc...
    I am making 10 pans for a church lunch Saturday...(Iw ill have lots of helping hands!) and I thought I was a hero....because it's such a pain!
    People love lasagna IMHO....but I think it;s sort of Bistro....sort of Ma's Diner....
    But not much wrong with that!
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I think I'd do something different....hot spinach/artichoke dip and bagel chips to start, Moussaka (Greek lasagna!), big Greek salad, crusty breads, Lemon Ice Box pie (from P. Allen Smith's web site) or purchased fancy cookies and baklava. Have a good selection of wine and beer and enjoy your party.

Teresa

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Lasagna is easy if you don't have meat or onions to brown.

Moussaka, one of my favorites, is also one of the hardest for me to make! Any short cuts, Teresa? Somewhere I have a vegetarian version.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Bistro food's my favorite Linda, especially bistros like Bouchon, hmmm there's no lasagna there...

:-)

• amck2
    15 years ago

Another vote for lasagna as a main course. At least in our family it hasn't been on the menu since before Thanksgiving. Something different from all the holiday roasts.

I would do a traditional one (w/ meat) and a lighter vegetarian one. That would be a good alternative for folks who are trying to get on the other side of heavy holiday eating, and suit any vegetarians. I've made one that everyone likes that I got from the "Good Morning America" recipe archive. It came in 1st in a healthy food competition a few years back. I think it's called something like "Lightened Up Lasagne."

Lasagne can be a bit of work to put together. But you can do it ahead while you have the place to yourself. Then the prep dishes are washed and put away and all you have to deal with while guests are there are heating up the trays.

A couple salads, good bread, wine & soft drinks and you're good!

• TACHE
    15 years ago

How about Joe's meatless lasagna and pulled pork. Twenty two is a lot of people to feed. With some crusty bread and a big green salad. Every thing is done well ahead of time so you could enjoy the folks.

I would still vote for the ordering in option over anything. It won't be as good but you would have a better time.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Trailrunner (over on the kitchen and the appliance forums) recently had a pizza party.

She made the dough ahead and then demoed how to make a pizza and everyone made their own to their taste.

Yikes, she had all her guests cooking and they all had a blast.

Add a salad, a couple of good bottles of wine and a nice dessert or two and it's a meal to remember.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I like Terri's taco bar idea...my group loves tex mex. Fajitas, steak and chicken are pretty easy but lots of prep for the sides. The skirt steak and chicken cook in no time on a grill or in a grill pan. You could add refried beans and spanish/mexican rice for sides. Chips with salsa, quac., and queso for before dinner munchies. A simple flan would be a great dessert.

I may be way out in left field ( I usually am lol) with this idea but what about a burger, brat, and dog theme. With this long cold winter y'all could enjoy what most do in the summer months. Sides could be potatoes salad, your baked beans, and maybe some slaw or a corn salad. I have a simple corn salad from Ina Garten that uses fresh or frozen that I'we like. You could have a selection of cheeses, shrooms, avacado, sprouts etc for the burgers. Sauted onions and peppers for the brats and the norm for the dogs. Dessert could be smores in the den by the fireplace. You could let Chris and himself do the grilling...that is if you use your grill during the winter and depending on the weather. It's never stopped me..LOL!

My last idea is a whole pork loin using your herb crusted rack of pork recipe. A whole loin should come close to feeding your group and sides for this are unlimited. I'd serve your cheese cake for dessert but I'm thinking there will be birthday cakes for Sara and Chris.

I'm cooked out too but I know you will go all out and have a great party for your group. Happy Birthday to Chris and Sara! Happy and safe travels for Meredith!

David

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I would do a soup, sandwich and salad bar. You could get buy with making a big pot of chili today and freezing it. Then make one more easy soup, sandwiches and a really good chopped salad with your homemade dressing. Believe me, I know how you feel about being "cooked out" for the moment. You could get some good crusty bread and a dessert from a bakery. Fresh Market comes to mine for some beautiful and delicious desserts.

If I didn't do that I would probably do the old fashioned Little Smokies in sauce, spiral rolled sandwiches from a good grocery store, sausage balls and that type of thing. I know you want it to be nice but make it as easy on yourself as you can.

• woodie
    15 years ago

David, I love your burger, brat and dog theme - hey Sharon, let HIMSELF do the cooking!

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I'd take the easy route in order to enjoy time with the family. Lasagna is a production for me, so that wouldn't be my personal choice.

I'd be tempted to do a spiral cut ham (Ina Garten had an easy glaze on her show today), a big salad, and another side or two. Buy a couple of cakes to celebrate the birthdays and put your feet up and chat with the family!!

Grace

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Cooked out? If you have a slow cooker and can borrow some more, use those. As much as I like ham and lasagna, I have had enough of those for awhile now.

For one: BBQ/pulled pork. Take a pork shoulder roast, place in crock pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce and some sliced onions. Let cook until it almost shreds itself. Serve with rolls and a coleslaw. If you don't want pork, use chicken. Dark meat works best, so grab chicken thighs and legs.

For pot two: Meatball/sausage sandwiches. Stop at Costco and buy the bag of meatballs and italian sausage, add some pasta sauce and let warm. You can even add some red and green peppers to it. Use the long french bread for this one. You can have some shredded mozzerella on the side as a topping.

For pot three: A thick chicken and bisquit stew. Something similar to a pot pie filling, full of veggies and serve bisquits with this one. Or a hunter type stew with chicken would work too.

Have fun!

Peppi

• User
    15 years ago

Sharon, I like DAvid's ideas. Nothing better than your rack of pork.

Ann

• Kay
    15 years ago

Jessy,
    Those stratas sound good. Something like that would be good for my book club that is coming up. Could you please post those recipes? Thanks!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Hey Carnelian. I'll get on it in the morning. Dealing with teen stuff here....

Sharon, how we doing? Stop us and give us direction or we'll all keep arguing about Lasagna. Not that arguing is a bad thing, you know.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

Lars Algerian chicken? Easy enough to gussy up 6-8 chickens and throw them in the oven. Couscous, a salad and you're good to go. Or even roast chicken stuffed with lemons.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I sure do understand that "cooked out after the Holiday's" feeling. I like David's idea of having cottage food. Casual and always fun!

My favorites for a sizable group would be....

potato salad
    coleslaw or woodies layered salad
    baked beans
    shredded pork bbq
    Italian beef
    (both work on the same type of rolls well)
    hot dogs, sloppy joes, marinated chicken breasts (grilled ahead of time and reheated in the oven)
    anything else your group would associate with summer cottage food)

I'm assuming B-Day cakes...

Nancy

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

I love the taco bar idea myself. Opkikid who used to post here, has a great recipe for taco meat in the crockpot.
    If you do lasagna, you do not have to buy no boil noodles. You can use regular noodles and just add an additional cup or so of water. that's how I always make it. I use my own pasta sauce, but have no problem with somebody using jarred store bought. There is no sin in making your life easier. Buy bagged lettuce and just cut up some other veggies to put in it and make a quick dressing (or, shocker ahead! buy a dressing)
    You have earned taking it easy Sharon.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon. I feel your pain. My in-laws were here the Sat after Christmas - after I had hosted 12 for Christmas dinner. We had 11. I was so "over" making OR eating another big meal...We got take out pizza and calzones - but I made a nice salad, appetizers, and blueberry pie for dessert. It was nice to focus on some of the "other" stuff. (oh and I made your stacked pizza about 3 times over the holidays - YUM!)

I like several of these suggestions! Sherry, I was going to suggest opkikids slow cooker taco meat too. It's delicious.

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos -opkikid

1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    3/4 cup bottled chunky medium-hot salsa
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (optional)

Combine the salsa, brown sugar and soy sauce and pour over the meat in the slow cooker insert. Cover and cook for 8 hours on LOW or 5 to 6 hours on HIGH, or until the meat is fork-tender. Shred the meat with two forks and stir in cilantro and lime juice if using.
    Set out taco shells (I like small soft corn tortillas) and all the fixings.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys....

I'm really leaning to the idea of hot sandwiches, chili and/or soup , slaw and baked beans.

Like the idea of meatballs, sausages, sauted onions and peppers with cheese etc.

My worry is eating, this will have to be a buffet and although I can probably manage about 18 with tables some will have to eat from their lap. Maybe I'll forget the soup/chili and add another sandwich selection like Italian beef or pulled pork.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oops - forgot that I was going to throw this one at you too. It's so delicious and the wine and pesto in it make it just a bit "special". It's one of our favorite meals! And everyone who's had it. And I use purchased pesto and marinara - so it's easy!

Baked Pasta with Sausage and Tomato Pesto (Sol)

1 pound hot italian sausage, casings removed (i use half hot, half sweet)
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    ½ cup dry red wine
    26 ounces of your favorite marinara sauce
    6 Tablespoons of Pesto
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 pound penne or rotini pasta, cooked al dente
    1 pound mozzarella, shredded
    1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    6 oz. bag baby spinach leaves
    Cook the sausage until no longer pink. Add the chopped onion and sauté about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic, marinara sauce and wine. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in the pesto, salt and pepper.
    Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9"x13" dish. Spread a thin layer of the sauce over the bottom of the pan.
    In a large bowl, combine the pasta, mozzarella and 1/3 cup of the Pecorino cheese. Add the spinach leaves, mixing to combine. Mix in the rest of sauce. Spoon mixture in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining pecorino cheese on top.
    Bake about 30 minutes, or until cheese is lightly golden.
    This recipe makes 6-8 servings. Enjoy it.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Concurrent postings....LOL

The taco idea sounds good as a third choice! That or pulled pork. I can buy pulled pork or pulled chicken at Whole Foods as well as beef BBQ. May be worth it.

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I feel your pain!!! Today is Margarets 11th birthday and I have 30 coming over Friday night for a buffet dinner....I too am sick at this point of cooking. I have a Pork Shoulder marinating to turn into Cuban sandwiches, Im making turkey and beef picadillo to stuff into empanada discs, black beans and puerto rican rice. Im putting out salsa,guacamole and tortlla chips. Im also dong a taco bar for the kids. I love Cuban and Spanish foods as does my guests and at this point I have had my fair share of Italian food...between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day enough is enough already. Good Luck

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

taco bar was the first thing I thought of. Great idea! Chase, let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz