SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

prolonged exposure to foundation in freezing weather?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Just to give a short summary background leading to my question in case you missed it, our foundation was poured around mid November. It was scheduled to cure until around mid December but my husband got sick and was in the hospital a couple weeks with a long expected recovery time. Instead of framing our house mid December as scheduled, we asked the builder to delay until my husband gets back on his feet and builder agreed no problem. They put hay and blankets over the foundation. We are in West Michigan to give you an idea of the weather (it's been way below normal with highs often in the teens, now it's been back up in mid/upper twenties as highs).

So today my husband had an other discussion with the builder and builder has some concern over the foundation sitting for too long in the cold and although still remains flexible, is urging us to consider continuing with the framing in early January (Jan 8) including the roofing/shingling. He says the we can then take another break or delay if we desire.

Our goal is to get back started when we at least have a date when my husband will go back to work. We don't have definitive idea right now but we think another month from now seems reasonable (for a total of 2 months off, he's already been off work one month).

My husband failed to ask the builder today what the specific concern was about the exposed foundation. Can anyone tell me about what the risks to the foundation are at this point and going into January?

Comments (7)