SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

advice on trip, please

daisychain01
10 years ago

Our family is going to visit friends who live in Mexico in about a month's time. We don't know them well, but they are exceptionally nice people. We got to know each other through our DDs who went to school together and became extremely close. We have booked a hotel that got the highest ratings in many travel guides and on trip advisor, but looks small and quirky. Because they live there, they went to check it out for us and without saying they didn't like it, have started to strongly suggest that we stay with them and have offered us use of one of their cars while we are there. While my DH is very easygoing and would be most happy to stay with them, I like my privacy and freedom to do what I want, when I want. I'm also a people pleaser and fear that rather than doing what I want on my trip, I will spend the whole time trying to make a good impression. But now I'm wondering if I'm being selfish and should just suck it up so the rest of the family can have a great time. My DD would prefer to stay with them so she can see her friend as much as possible (even tho the friend will be in school during the day and we've said she can stay there for a couple of nights even if we don't). The other worry I have is that they are extremely wealthy and we are well, we are both teachers, so not extremely wealthy. I hate feeling indebted even though I know they are not doing it expecting us to reciprocate. Because their city is sort of off the beaten path, flights are fairly expensive and this trip is already costing us more than the typical sun destination, so not having to pay for hotel or car rental makes sense, but still. Ugh, I hate having to make decisions.

Comments (16)