SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merrygardener_gw

Honoring Home & Experiences - Ideas?

merrygardener
10 years ago

My parents raised their nine wonderful children (especially #6!) in their beautiful home. They purchased their "city house" which is in walking distance from shopping and is quite accessible about three years ago. Since purchasing it, they have made numerous improvements to it, but haven't yet moved in. Although they're both in good health, I'm sure they both will appreciate the decreased care for the two acres and huge "country" home. They have lovingly improved and cared for the home for 45 years and moving away is difficult.... for my dad. Mom has moved many items to the city house and is anxious to move on while dad is dragging his feet.

I'd like to find a way to ease the transition for him and perhaps speed up the pace of movement for Mom's sake. The only idea I have come up with so far is to take pictures of rooms and spaces in and out of the home (e.g. 3-story laundry chute, the "jail" which was always cleaned by the current flexible teen who could get up there and the towel warming cupboard which was a prime hide and seek spot for those 7 and under) and have my siblings (and perhaps family friends) write some narratives to go with the pictures... maybe putting them into a book. I'm thinking that some history may be revealed that haven't yet been shared.

Surely this crowd has other ideas that might be fitting! I'm listening!

Comments (13)