SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowermum_gw

Fur real?

flowermum
14 years ago

I was curious, does anyone wear real fur?

I am aware of the process used to acquire the fur to make the clothing, but what about leather shoes and leather belts. Is it equally wrong to wear shoes and belts made of leather. Are leather coat wearers met with the same vilification?

I have not allowed peta et al to stop me from wearing what I want, but I do sometimes feel self-conscious when I am wearing fur. To me, it kinda feels like being bullied and that irks me a little.

I know there are greater issues in life; just curious if there might be others who have chosen to be fur-real.

: )

Comments (38)

• lesterd
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live in the Midwest and am thin. I get cold in the winter. I also stand/walk outside daily through the winter getting to/from the bus and train that get me to and from work and I wear a real fur coat when the daily high is below 20 degrees.

I wear leather shoes, leather belts and have leather furniture in our home. I'd never spend my money on a leather coat because, to me, they aren't warm.

On this subject, I ignore other's opinions and it appears that my fellow work travelers do as well because I'm not the only one wearing real fur.

• quilly
    14 years ago

I've tried them on but I think I'm too short and dumpy and I can't see spending that much money to look even more unattractive. However my daughter wears her frequently - but she's also in Manhattan where there are many furs.

• Related Discussions

Foster fur-kids, part deux....

Q

Comments (27)
    Make sure they test for Coccidia...sometimes they don't check for that and just look for worms... Yes we will indeed have his stools checked for Coccidia, thanks :o) You know usually stress isn't the cause the diarrhea, it is usually something that was already there and the stress has lowered the immune system just enough to set it loose.... Does that make sense?? yes, totally, the same thing happens with hamsters but mostly Syrians. Syrians get wet tail because something shocks their immune systems when they are moved long distances. The bacteria are there but it doesn't strike them hard until they are stressed. Are his eyes clear and sparkly (no gunk)? his eyes get gooky when he goes out in the bitter cold but otherwise they are clear and no sign of infection, scleras are white throughout Is his nose runny at all...dripping?? No,no drips at all, dry most of the time and cold and damp when he comes in from the cold but dries up again What color are his gums? Should be a nice pink, not too pale.. very nice pink and well hydrated...been checking for that Does he feel extra warm? (normal is around 101º) no, normal How many rounds of shots has he gotten? one round of shots on December 19th In consideration of his breed mix, I would make sure to time his last distemper/parvo vaccination to be given after his 16th week of age (at the same time as his rabies vac). ok...what is the rationalle for that, just curious Did he get a vaccination immediately before you took him home? no, almost a month ago How old did you say he was?? 9 weeks Do keep me posted...I certainly get anxious when I hear the words "sick puppy"...aak! well, I really don't think he's sick with a fever or anything but he could still have something in his stools, so we'll have that checked. He's playing like a kitten, pouncing on sticks and leaves and chasing after toys and generally either getting into trouble or looking for attention...typical puppy stuff. He is napping much better now. He'll nap for a full hour now whereas he was only taking 10 minute cat naps before and crying a lot. Today there was no crying at all and he is back on his food eating about 50/50 steamed rice and dry chow. One thing I thought of was that darn oil tablet the lady gave him at the rescue. I don't know how long she'd been giving it to him but those things are big and I'm sure it was like giving him cod liver oil twice a day. I've discontinued that entirely and today he is having better formed poos and not feeling the urgency to get outside. Ugh! It's a horrid day today... freezing rain so the deck where I was letting him out is thick with ice and the poor thing is terrified. I am too...afraid of falling that is so now I have to trapse him through the garage and out the back garage door onto MORE ice but at least if he falls he will fall only the ground and not off the edge of the deck. I'll pop back in with at "Pupdate" later and let you know what a second slide of his stools shows. Thanks so much, Barb & "Lake" When I foster puppies, I always have my vet tech/or vet if necessary on speed dial!! LOL!! I have the whole routine down...
    ...See More

what's hot for christmas??? yes ot!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Kylie, My childern are grown too. But when they were small, I would make home made tater chips, also jerky, banana chips, apple chips, and fruit roll ups. They all were eager to help, and enjoyed the treats when they were done. Especialy when THEY got to help make them. So , this year, each family is getting a salad shooter, fry daddy ,and dehydrator for Christmas. They ALL have gaming systems at their house, and Barbies, Bratz, Hanna's, Dora's, Ben Ten , Star Wars, Guitar Heros, Light Sabers, etc, etc,,,,, but the "kitchen stuff" is something they all can do TOGETHER as a family and enjoy. And as an added bonus, they all will get a magic bullet type machine to make really good Margaritas to enjoy late at night when the kids are asleep !! I got this idea when my middle daughter, Danielle asked if I still had the "stuff" to make all those things, as she wants to make them for her family. So, I played "Vauge", and started shopping in August for every thing. I may be backward, but I want the youngsters to know there is more than instant pleasure out there. Sandra ^,,^
    ...See More

Our New Fur Friends!!! (Warning - Cuteness Alert)

Q

Comments (27)
    When I saw "fur friends" and "cuteness", in the side panel, I just had to come and see. They are just beyond adorable!!! Being the proud owner of 3 cats, it's always exciting seeing other peoples' pets too! Boy do they ever look like they are busy and full of curiousity!! I've never heard of a Balinese breed, and I'm very intrigued. We had an applehead Siamese once and she stuck to me like velcro. She'd start talking (actually sounded like a little cow) as soon as she got up, all the way down the hall until she saw me. Pretty funny. Like others have mentioned, your rooster chair is pretty cool, too! This post was edited by jasdip on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 18:29
    ...See More

Time required to care for a puppy

Q

Comments (13)
    freezetag, while you are correct the chances are slim on falling on a rescue of the specfic breeds you mention you might try another avenue. Once you do decide on a breed that will work for your DH, start contacting some breeders. Often they have a young adult they were keeping that may be growing to not exactly what they want for their program or an adult that has retired from the show ring and breeding program. Sometime thay may have only had one litter and decide to eliminate them from a breeding program. They usually will charge about the same as pup, it will usually be neutered/spayed, housebroken, some basic obedience training and will love becoming the center of someone attention. Good breeders move these dogs on because they know it is what is best for the dog not to get rid of them.
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I had my mother's mink recut and updated for me last year. I don't wear it often but when I need real warmth (and I'm not going to the gym in my down parka) I put it on. No one has ever said anything to me, I've never felt evil eyes and would have no problem telling someone to MYOB if it did happen.

I wear leather shoes, have a leather jacket and wear it frequently in the fall (lesterd is right about the lack of warmth but with a sweater it's perfect for all but the coldest autumn days) and leather seats in my car.

I'm curious who on earth is making you feel self conscious and/or bullying you? Strangers? Friends? Family?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I don't think peta has anything to do with my decisions however they do often help keep the public informed.

I don't wear fur but I do eat meat but not veal or foie gras (I am a foodie so it is something I have opportunities to eat).
    I also use leather and animal products.
    My choices are not consistent I admit, but I do what I can.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

If we eat it, I think we should wear it,not waste it! :0) I have leather hiking boots, dress boots & shoes, leather purses, sheepskin boots & jacket. Oh, and a black rabbit fur ear band. I also waterproof our leather hiking boots with mink oil.

Peta is a great organization! Shark & dolphin slaughter in the world is out of control!

• User
    14 years ago

I have leather things but nothing real fur. I've also wondered about people that were against the fur if they wore leather. I've tried some fur coats on but think I looked goofy in them.

However, even if I looked good in one I don't think I could bring myself to wear it since it's a hot topic to many. I think the main reason being is because I know how it became the fur whatever and I'd rather not think about it because it bothers me. It's not something I'm all ok with. Kind of like I could never watch the process of slaughtering for meat. I like meat.

All that being said, I would never say anything to anyone that did wear fur.

• User
    14 years ago

What most people don't realize is that the vast majority of leather products (especially leather used on furniture) come from India cows - not slaughterhouse cows that are consumed as food. These are cows that are raised solely for the purpose of being turned into sofas, chairs, belts, jackets and shoes, and the conditions that they endure are beyond deplorable.

I highly recommend the documentary series "Earthlings" that you can view in its entirety on Youtube. After watching the horribly graphic images there, I became even more resolute in my vegetarianism. No animal flesh for me, thank you very much. I realize that the graphic nature of such documentaries are revolting to most people; however, I think it's vital that we understand the truth about where our food comes from, and exactly how it gets to our table. The "Happy Cow" is a myth.

I would personally never wear fur. I do have several leather items that I'm not about to throw out at this point - but in the future I will endeavor to make purchases that are more in line with my conscience.

It is a practical impossibility to live a completely cruelty-free lifestyle, but I think we should listen to our inner voices and do as much as we can to eliminate the suffering of other sentient beings. For me personally, that primarily means not consuming meat and most dairy products. For you, it may mean something else entirely. I do hold strong convictions in the area of animal rights, but at the same time I don't believe that anyone has the human right to browbeat others who hold a different mindset into following the same path. It's all about our own inner convictions, as far as I'm concerned.

• natal
    14 years ago

When we were going through my mom's things after she passed away I briefly considered keeping her mink scarf/stole, but there was something about those heads and tails, (including the feet) that just gave me the creeps.

I don't have any leather furniture, but I do wear leather shoes and carry leather purses.

• whitdobe
    14 years ago

I eat meat. I wear and use leather and animal products. The only reason I don't wear fur is that I gave my fur coats to a girlfriend when I moved from Montreal to Atlanta.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I remember as a child all the women would have these fur coats and I'd love to roll around on them on the bed at parties. Kind of odd, since we lived in Southern California, but in those days I guess it was THE thing to have.

I don't live a fur coat lifestyle, but if I did, I still think I'd go with faux or an alternative. I get a bit creeped out by the thought of real fur. But as others have said, I wouldn't take a stand against anyone wearing it. Leather doesn't bother me. I do wear and use it.

I guess I don't mind if an animal is raised for fur, but I do take offense to wild animal fur. I mean, no one eats lynx meat, and I don't think it's used for pet food.

But then, on the other hand, other cultures eat critters we would never think to, so if I get off my Americanized ideals, my perspective changes. However, I will say that recently I had a change of heart when it came to eating meat from fur bearing animals. If given the choice, I'll choose a vegetarian alternative.

• Faron79
    14 years ago

Well, being a GUY, I wouldn't wear much FUR!
    DW...Yes. She'd wear REAL fur any chance she got!
    Screw PETA.

Leather shoes...Oh yeah.
    Leather jackets/gloves...whole family has at least one.
    (hell...EVERYONE up here wears leather!)
    Big black leather sectional in Fam-rm., and a couple other leather chairs.
    Leather in DW's car.

Faron

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

No fur - I think my grandma's coat in my closet is fake, not my style anyway. Just hang onto it for sentimental reasons. But leather (sofa, car, shoes, etc.) yes. I never realized that cows are raised specifically for their hides, but I'm sure the meat doesn't go to waste?

Coming from a long line of dairy and beef farmers, I have no problems with raising animals to be used for food and other things. Mink are raised for their pelts (nasty little things). Now, I'm not going to tell my uncle he can't hunt on our land, I eat venison too. There are problems with deer overpopulation in this area. If they ever became endangered, I'd change my mind. What I don't agree with (though I won't tell him this, it wouldn't do any good) is hunting for trophies or hides - what a waste! He took a trip to Africa a few years ago - the trip of a lifetime for him. While I'm sure it was legitimate, and maybe people there regard their wildlife (not endangered) as we do the deer, and welcome hunters to control predators that prey on their livestock or animals that damage their crops, the whole thing disgusted me.

BTW, faron, don't those leather seats get *cold* in the winter? Or are they heated? I'll never have a car with leather again. Even starting to think the leather sofa was a mistake (comfort-wise, though I'm sure it will hold up longer than our microfiber in the FR).

• carriem25
    14 years ago

I'm a big girl - I don't wear fur because I am more than a little afraid of looking like a Sasquatch, LOL. I'm a suburban hockey mom, so fur doesn't really fit my lifestyle, anyway. I'm all good with meat and leather.

And now that I have had leather upholstery in my car, I'll never go back to fabric - especially with kids! My seats are heated, which is a nice luxury, but the wipeability of leather beats fabric any day. I wish I would have had leather when my kids were younger!

Carrie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

There is a huge difference between a hunter shooting a deer roaming out in the woods (that later his family, in most cases, eats) and the inhumanity of fur farms (and plenty in the USA) that exist only for vanity products.

• natal
    14 years ago

I forgot leather car interiors. If I have a choice I'll never go back to cloth. Not much need for heated seats down here, but they were part of the special deal dh got on his Odyssey. Boy were they nice when we were in Indiana last winter and temps were in the teens!

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I ignore PETA, but I think most fur just makes the wearer look old and dumpy. Even in Russia, where you see beautiful young women in very luxurious fur coats--they age 20 years just by putting the things on. I'd love to have a fur bedspread, and I'm not very goo-goo about nasty little minks, but I'm not going to wear them.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Would love to have a real beaver coat, but have a very good faux that I love.

We have leather furniture and I do wear leather shoes. Not a fan of leather outerwear as it doesn't provide warmth. Love leather seats in the car especially with the dog hair that flies around during a visit to the vet.

Never been a big meat eater, and when we do purchase any type of meat, we buy certified organic.

A good source for information about buying meats obtained from animals treated in a humane manner, as well as where all of our food comes from can be found by googling "Food Inc."

Just such a hot button topic. I think each person has to follow their conscience, and eat, wear and buy whatever makes you comfortable.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

If I could I would. My DH has long thought it horrible-before PETA and their blood tossing. And my DD agrees with him. But OMG it feels sooooo goooood. I remember I had a coat with a real beaver collar and it was glorious.The fur coats piled on the bed is a memory I have as well and I grew up in AZ.
    Anyway it is not my style- I have always been an outdoorsy girl with freckles- not the glamour queen. And I too don't need any additional thickness on my body right now.
    Definitely love meat and have no prob with wearing/using leather or furs. To each his own.

• blubird
    14 years ago

Have any of you seen the faux furs on the Fabulous Furs website? I have no connection to them other than having bought yardage from them years ago to make my own raccoon-look and mink-look coats. They are very real looking and feeling and satisfy my desire to own and wear a 'fur' coat.

I have my mother's old fur coats - a silver fox chubby, 2 persian lambs and i have never had any desire to put them on my body. I only have 1 pair of leather shoes - to tie into the other posting - but quite a few made of faux leather and fabric. And yes, I mostly eat vegetarian.....

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: fabulous furs website

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years, but I'm still OK with fur for OTHER people. Ditto for leather coats. I wear leather shoes but I only have a few and I wear them out.

I think (1) what you wear is your business, (2) as horrible, horrible as animals abuse is, there are much worse crimes being committed (um, child abuse, anyone?), and (3) to pour paint on fur is completely and utterly wasteful and disrespectful of the lives of the animals.

BTW, one of my main reasons for becoming a vegetarian is not so much that I don't think we should eat animals, but rather the treatment that animals get (in this modern age)while waiting to die. The idea of people hunting for just what they need, using every part of the animal, and then honoring/thanking/respecting the animal is completely fine by me.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

My meat come from a local farm, as does all of my milk and yogurt. Those animals are humanely raised and carefully harvested and that matters to me.

I would never wear fur. It is just too much like having a dead animal hanging around my neck.

I do eat fois gras.

Go figure.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I have a couple minks and ds has a fur parka (fox and rabbit) as well as a few pair of mucklucks and slippers (seal and fox). I can't tell you how many fox collars, squirrel and chincilla coats I have (I collect antique clothing and all are used often). I have a large collection of eskimo yoyo's which include seal fur and polar bear. So obvioulsy a purse and sofa aren't going to upset me.

I have difficulty with slautering an animal and not using the whole animal. I have almost more difficulty with anyone who would throw blood at a 3 year old who is in a fur parka made with furs from an eskimo tribe in the arctic (which ours was). Subsistance living includes berries and meat....like it or not, humans were made to eat meat folks. So using the whole animal is right to me verses being wrong.

I have difficulty with peta, who cause significant damage to animals in their BS efforts to "save" them and their complete comfort at throwing blood at people who wear fur..much more than anyone who would wear fur. They're uneducated dorks with little brain power.

Umm ya what were we discussing...oh ya this:

{{gwi:1495091}}

I'm ok with it

• Meghane
    14 years ago

I don't have any real fur, but my fake fur-lined coat is real suede. I also wear leather and eat non humane meat on a regular basis. There isn't a reason I don't wear real fur except the price.

• User
    14 years ago

...like it or not, humans were made to eat meat folks.

There are actually differing schools of thought on this, so to state it as an indisputable fact is something I don't agree with. Just sayin'. ;-)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Igloo what is an eskimo yo-yo? like a fur covered duncan yo-yo or like a yo-yo used in quilts??
    And your little guy is an adorable eskimo!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I had a patient who was a vegan raw foods chef. (No heating of food over a certain temperature to maintain protein and vitamin integrity). She smoked like a chimney. So much for consistency.

I have been vegetarian and I have tried foie gras and have been everything in between.I currently eat some meat. I felt that it was very hard to eat a diet that worked for me without some meat, because soy contains estrogen, and estrogen contributes to one storing fat.

I think you have to be careful in the interpretation of what free range and organic and all those terms mean. It can mean that instead of thousands of chickens walking around on chicken wire in a huge chicken shed, there are thousands of chickens walking around in their own s--- on the ground in the chicken shed that has a big garage door on one end so they might see the sun. Unless you raise your own chickens, you are getting a pretty inhumane chicken all around. Doesn't stop me from eating them completely, but I don't eat it much...mostly because of estrogen and salmonella.

But as omnivores, we are designed to eat some meat, whether we choose to or not, unlike a dog who is an unsuccessful herbivore, or a cow, who would be an unsuccessful carnivore.

As far as leather and fur, the option for shoes then, is pretty much petrochemicals, if you don't wear leather so this is kind of a trade off. Fur...well fur does not look good on men IMO (nor does too much estrogen) so I tend to avoid it.

• User
    14 years ago

OK, since a couple of you want to insist that humans are "designed" to eat meat, here is another line of thinking. Food for thought, if you will. ;-)

Are We Natural Meat-Eaters or Are We Natural Vegetarians? Sink Your Teeth into This! Most nutritionists assert that we have definite carnivorous leanings, and some have even termed our incisor teeth fangs in defense of their erroneous position that humans are natural meat-eaters! If you look at the various species in the animal kingdom, each is equipped with teeth that are ideally suited to masticate a particular type of food. Herbivores (like the cow) have 24 molars, eight jagged incisors in the lower jaw and a horny palate in the upper jaw. Their jaws move vertically, laterally, forward, and backward, enabling the herbivore to tear and grind coarse grasses. Frugivores (like the chimpanzee) have 32 teeth: sixteen in each jaw including four incisors, two cuspids, four bicuspids, and six molars. The cuspids are adapted for cracking nuts, and the uniform articulation of the teeth enables the frugivore to mash and grind fruits. On the contrary, carnivores (like the cat family) have markedly developed canines that are long, sharp, cylindrical, pointed, and set apart from the other teeth. Fangs and sharp pointed teeth that penetrate and kill, that rip and tear flesh, are a feature of all true carnivores (except certain birds). The powerful jaws of the carnivore move only vertically, and are ideal for ripping and tearing flesh that is swallowed virtually whole and then acted upon by extremely potent gastric juices. Human teeth are not designed for tearing flesh as in the lion, wolf or dog, but rather compare closely with other fruit-eating animals. Human teeth correspond almost identically to the chimpanzees and other frugivores. The complete absence of spaces between human teeth characterizes us as the archetype frugivore. The canine teeth of humans are short, stout, and slightly triangular. They are less pronounced and developed than the orangutans, who rarely kills and eats raw flesh in its natural environment. Human canines in no way resemble the long, round, slender canines of the true carnivore. Human teeth are not curved or sharp like the wolves or tigers, nor are they wide and flat like the grass and grain-eating species. Human teeth are actually like the fruit-eating monkeys, and the human mouth is best suited for eating succulent fruits and vegetables. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for humans to eat raw flesh without the aid of fork and knife. To term our incisor teeth fangs or even to liken them as such is outrageous. Scientists and naturalists, including the great Charles Darwin who gave the theory of evolution, agree that early humans were fruit and vegetable eaters and that throughout history our anatomy has not changed. The great Swedish scientist von Linnstates: Man's structure, external and internal, compared with that of the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his natural food. So it is clear from scientific studies that physiologically, anatomically, and instinctively, man is perfectly suited to a diet for fruit, vegetables, nuts, and grains.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Ok, how about as omnivores, we are not designed to avoid meat, we have the necessary physiology to digest and derive nutrition from meat as well as plant matter.

Cats, in their natural state are obligate carnivores, their digestive tracts are not designed to derive nutrients from fruits and vegetables; horses are obligate herbivores--not designed to digest meat, and cattle because of a symbiotic bacteria are able to digest cellulose, which humans (and many vertebrates, are not).

The human digestive tract is not as specialized as either the obligate carnivore, nor the obligate herbivore--that is why we are omnivores, we are not designed to eat only meat but since it is neither poisonous to us, nor passes through us non-digested, we are not designed to Not eat it. we may be suited physioligically, anatomically and instinctively to a diet of fruit, vegetables, nuts and grains, but not, necessarily, excluding meat.

• User
    14 years ago

Not to belabor the point, but I will continue to maintain that a plant-based diet results in a healthier human digestive system than one in which meat is consumed. Our bodies may permit certain behaviors - at least for awhile - but I believe that there is an ideal, and that's what I personally strive for.

Of course, as I stated above, everyone must reach his or her own conclusions. I was really just attempting to point out that there are alternate (and conflicting) points of view.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

So it is clear from scientific studies that physiologically, anatomically, and instinctively, man is perfectly suited to a diet for fruit, vegetables, nuts, and grains.

And plenty of carrion, although our delicate modern minds don't want to think about that. Quite a few archaeological sites of extremely early human habitations (2.5-1.8 million years ago, Homo habilis and Homo erectus) have yielded bones showing marks of human teeth made AFTER marks made by teeth of other species, as well as marks of early stone tools (and the presence of such tools, often broken and so discarded) indicating dissection of those animals. Analysis of human coprolites, or what would politely be described as fossilized dung, from Homo erectus sites already shows evidence of extensive meat consumption (actually coprolites are really nifty once you get over the ick factor), and human-made stone tools purely for the use of hunting, such as spear tips, first appear approximately 1.5 million years ago. That doesn't even allow for animals intentionally killed by such things as thrown stones, wooden or unmodified-bone implements such as clubs or fish gorges made from thorns, trapping, hand-catching (such as fish "tickling", egg collecting, or hunting for animal dens to catch extremely young animals), as well as the "lucky find" of an animal that died of natural causes. Mollusc shells (snails, clams, oysters) abound in Paleolithic sites located near water.

As for the "impossibility" of eating raw flesh "without the use of a knife and fork", sorry Jen, but that's outright bunk. Hunter-gatherer tribes (what few survive Western, well, let's call a spade a spade, invasion and habitat destruction) do still do so - two of the anthropologists I studied under at university had spent many years in the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies living with hunter-gatherer tribes as members of the tribes would live, one specializing in the Kalahari and the other with tribes in New Guinea and the Amazon. A great deal of perfectly edible animal protein does not even require being so much as smacked with a rock, although most of us wimpy Westerners wouldn't consider grubs, insects, raw eggs from wild-bird nests, and such as "edible". For example, Australian Aborigines who enjoy "bush tucker" (their traditional - and we're talking a good 50,000 years here - foods gleaned from the wild) covet a large moth larva called a witchetty grub, which would have most North Americans barfing on their shoes. Even some of the survival training of the American military include obtaining and consuming raw animal protein with one's bare hands, the basic assumption of the course being that one has lost all of one's equipment and being in an situation where building a fire with the old spinning stick technique isn't practical. (Someone I know went through advanced survival training and absolutely loved to tell gross-out stories about his dining adventures.)

Personally, I agree with those who say that humans, like many of the other primate species, have evolved to be opportunistic omnivores - we as a species did and will eat pretty much anything we can get our grubby little hands on. It's only in relatively recent times that we've been able to afford to get as picky as we are now.

As for whether I wear fur, leather, etc., I used to have a mink collar for my peacoat but it was cut from a coat from the 1960s and just got too tatty to wear, I have had hats and mittens from the skins of rabbits raised as food, and I once had slippers made from moosehide from a moose hunted for food. My leather jacket wore out and I haven't replaced it because they're too expensive. I wear leather shoes (or fabric ones) because plastic ones make my feet stinky and prone to fungi like athlete's foot, and as a previous poster points out, there's the whole petrochemical issue to non-leather shoes (besides fabric and latex rubber, and I dare ya to go through a New England winter in canvas shoes LOL) so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

IIRC, anti-fur groups typically throw red paint (PETA claims that they do not advocate nor do they sponsor such actions), not blood, on fur-wearers. One reason I have heard straight from the mouth of one of these eco-vandals is that paint cannot be removed without destroying the fur, while blood can be removed fairly easily. (And then there's that minor hypocrisy of using blood to protest killing, unless these folks are donating their own blood to do it...)

• User
    14 years ago

I think I've managed to remain respectful in conveying my beliefs on this topic. To be told that what I've shared is "outright bunk" doesn't seem to be conducive to further polite discourse, so I think I'm done here.
    :-)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

While I do come from a different perspective, a biblically based one, I also believe that humans were originally created to eat plants, nuts and grains and will one day return to that as a diet.

However, I do not care to argue with anyone and if I did I would post on the Hot Topics forum. I'm not sure why I am even posting this except to say that there are many different views here but on this forum only one topic really matters: Decorating! (and even decorating our bodies: scarves, shoes, hair)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I don't wear fur, but do have leather shoes and car seats. I do have two fur muffs discovered in boxes in the cedar closet when cleaning out my parents' home. One is leopard and one I am not sure about-dark brown and very soft,not mink for sure, maybe beaver or sable (haven't ever seen those). I may use them at some point-thinking about outdoor bus duty at school on those very bitter days-sort of fun since they are so old (probably late 1800s to early 1900s).

• flowermum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Really interesting views. I appreciate the varying opinions offered.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

My DD loves to point out that cats are obligate carnivores, but we can't figure out why her cat LOVES peas, corn, and bread. It's odd. She isn't one to go after our food normally, either.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

Jen, I do apologize - I was addressing the message and not the messenger, and did not intend to hurt your feelings. (And to think I toned it DOWN to "bunk" from other less-civil words I was considering! *chuckle*) Here's the wet noodle, forty lashes please.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Quick question on the biblical reference. Didn't the Bible say in Genesis that God gave men permission to eat flesh after the flood?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

For believers, the change from being plant based to flesh is after the fall. God gave them animals skins to wear after they were cast out from the Garden and they now ate meat.
    In the New testament, Peter is told that all forms of meat, not just the ones allowed in the dietary restrictions of the OT, may now be eaten by believers.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH