SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Insulating new house.

scotkight
10 years ago

I'm in NoVA, and possibly buying a new house. I'm concerned about the insulation choices they are throwing my way though.

They meet code standard, so r-13 wall and r-38 attic and use standard batts. I was thinking about asking them to use BIBS to get r-15, up the attic to r-50 and use an insulated sheathing system (they use ZIP, was going to to ask about ZIP-R). Brick over everything outside

Then get REAL picky about an airtight design, using caulking where required and spray foam on rim joists etc.

Does this sound like an acceptable setup? I'm not getting into the fine details, as I know it will depend on the house itself and the calculations they provide.

My concerns are a combination of comfort and sound reduction. I want a QUIET house that has even temperatures head to toe. I know that if I want to go to the next level, z-channels etc are the prescription, but I doubt I could get a builder to even entertain that idea.

Whatcha think? Anything else I should consider? I know there are going to be higher costs, but I am guessing nominal as compared to the entire house cost. 4-5k? Maybe 7k? Or am I off-base?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor